Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camera Options Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018 | 09:36 AM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Default Camera Options Advice

I'm currently using a Contour Plus 2 camera but it doesn't have the autostart feature which I'm finding out is key. Trying to turn it on when you're strapped and wondering if it's recording is not great. The quality of the video is pretty good but i think i need a camera with autostart feature which i can set up and forget about it.

I know the Smartycam does it but at $1000 it's kind of expensive. Any other options out there?

Eugene
Old 04-22-2018 | 10:04 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

I have a good used Smarty Cam HD gen 1 for sale for $650. Depending on which car you are putting it in and how much data you want, you may need to add other items to get the most out of it unless you currently have an AIM logger, then it's plug and play.

Old 04-22-2018 | 10:28 AM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

thanks Jerry, considering it. I have a Solo that i only use for lap times (bought two years ago new, not sure which version), but i don't think it connects with the Smartycam from what i understand. Would need a Solo2.

My car is an 86 911. I don't know how much data can I get, if anything from this car. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 04-22-2018 | 10:39 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Smartycam with an AIM data logger really is the way to go. Once set up it will automatically overlay data on video. Autorecord is flawless - basically set it and forget. In 4+ years of owning an AIM SOLO DL and 2 years with Smartycam, I have never missed a recording because I forgot to turn it on or charge something. I can pop out the SIM card between sessions and review video and data. I don't have to spend any time post processing and trying to sync video and data.
Old 04-22-2018 | 10:45 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Speeds5
thanks Jerry, considering it. I have a Solo that i only use for lap times (bought two years ago new, not sure which version), but i don't think it connects with the Smartycam from what i understand. Would need a Solo2.

My car is an 86 911. I don't know how much data can I get, if anything from this car. I'm open to suggestions.
A cost effective option is to go through Jerry and get the Solo 2 DL with RPM input and Rev1 camera for your car, when the S2DL is available. That would be a great option and the secondary market is good to sell (or possibly trade) your Solo against the new combo.
Old 04-22-2018 | 01:39 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

ok sold. pinging Jerry. How do you connect these old school (pre OBD) Porsche to the DL to get the RPMs etc. Splice into the Bosch DME wire plug?
Old 04-22-2018 | 01:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Speeds5
ok sold. pinging Jerry. How do you connect these old school (pre OBD) Porsche to the DL to get the RPMs etc. Splice into the Bosch DME wire plug?
Just to clarify, you need to get the NEW Solo 2 DL, which ADDS the RPM (only) information to the data and to the video, which helps with gearing selection, HP splits, optimal shift points and a lot of other things. Jerry can help you with that when they arrive in this country, hopefully within a few weeks.

The OLD Solo DL has no way of connecting to your car other than power and ground... Worth wating for the new one, which has the ability to accept an old-school conventional RPM input, and is ideal for YOUR application.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-22-2018 | 03:33 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Any update on the MXm other than “soon”? That looks like it will be great for pre-OBDII/CAN cars.
Old 04-22-2018 | 03:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mglobe
Any update on the MXm other than “soon”? That looks like it will be great for pre-OBDII/CAN cars.
Yes, it will. Italy said it would be “shortly” after the release of the S2DL. But I don’t believe it until I see it!
Old 04-22-2018 | 06:27 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Eugene

PM sent. RPM will be easy with the SOLO 2 DL. Just tap into the Black/Violet wire that connects to your tach.

Quick Reply: Camera Options Advice