Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close Call

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018 | 09:07 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

This is Red group with extended passing meaning a point by can be anywhere. I clearly saw 3 points and when the driver spoke to me he knew he had done that.
Old 04-09-2018 | 09:17 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Text book example of heads up driving. Well done.
Old 04-09-2018 | 09:31 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Good save!
Old 04-09-2018 | 09:40 AM
BK77
Pro

Way to keep your cool, that could have turned out very badly.
Old 04-09-2018 | 12:46 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Looks to me like a hooked wheel and the usual ensuing foolishness. Luckily the runoff at lightning is halfway to Philadelphia.

Of course, Bill has decades' experience racing and instructing, and he made it look easy.
Old 04-09-2018 | 09:24 PM
jscott82
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
This video is exactly one of the questions I was going to post on here.

The point by, but the driving line changes sides, left to right or right to left.

A couple years ago I was at NJMP Lightning, and my instructor was critical (AND RIGHTLY SO), about a point by I did.

It was between turns 5 and 7. I gave the (left) point by when I was on right side of track out of 5, before 6.
The following car did NOT wave off pass, but did not start a pass after my lift, I continued to follow the line, which then moves to the left through 6 and back to right to set up for 7.

My point was to the left, but he did not pass until I was on the left, and he passed on the right, late, which caused me to be off line in setting up for 7. My instructor was not happy with me.

The video shown here is between 7 and 8, again a situation where the line changes.

I will be doing a DE in a few weeks, and I will be asking my instructor for the correct resolve to this scenario.

Please chime in on this, as I don't think I can be the only student that has this question.

I believe the DE point by, as explained to me is:
Initiate the point by in a place, deemed a PASSING ZONE
1 point by for each car passing
Stay in the predetermined driving line
Moderately lift to allow safe pass

Thanks
David
As others have said, yes, once you give a point, stick to it.
But the real lesson is cooperation and communication. If you give a pass, make it well known and easy for your colleague to get by, if they need help, do what it takes to make it clean.. IE: If they take it late, then yes stay put and let them go. If you need a big lift or even brake to make it clean, then do so... Make it clean, even if you have to cover for their mistake.
Now if they are waving it off (especially if their wave-off is not clear), you need to make your intentions sharp and crystal clear. If you are going to cross back in front of them you need to do it briskly. Not so fast that they don't have time to react, but not so slow that you fool them into a slow drift across the track either... Use your head and default to being predictable.
Old 04-09-2018 | 09:37 PM
cmac
Instructor

Wow, nice work Bill... Your reflexes are tip top! Unfortunate that he was so unaware.
Old 04-09-2018 | 09:42 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Wow I never seen anybody lose it that far past turn 7. Nice avoidance there Bill. But you should thank him for making the the proper correction also (after calling him a dumbass for starting the situation to begin with). If not, he would have taken both of you into the barrier.
Old 04-10-2018 | 09:41 AM
rhargy
Rennlist Member

Nice work William........although I was down there I didn't realize you were having so much fun.

Looks to me like he just brain farted and forgot the track bends there, hooked a wheel and goes downhill from there.

Again nice work. See you at Summit.
Old 04-10-2018 | 12:40 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
As others have said, yes, once you give a point, stick to it.
But the real lesson is cooperation and communication. If you give a pass, make it well known and easy for your colleague to get by, if they need help, do what it takes to make it clean.. IE: If they take it late, then yes stay put and let them go. If you need a big lift or even brake to make it clean, then do so... Make it clean, even if you have to cover for their mistake.
Now if they are waving it off (especially if their wave-off is not clear), you need to make your intentions sharp and crystal clear. If you are going to cross back in front of them you need to do it briskly. Not so fast that they don't have time to react, but not so slow that you fool them into a slow drift across the track either... Use your head and default to being predictable.
if they need help, do what it takes to make it clean.. IE: If they take it late, then yes stay put and let them go. If you need a big lift or even brake to make it clean, then do so... Make it clean, even if you have to cover for their mistake.​​​​​​​

This is exactly what I did, and my instructor, let's say, was not happy, because I left the proper driving line to allow a pass. He made it clear, never, never leave the line.
He claimed, it is expectation that all drivers maintain the safe DE line, except for their own passing of another car or to avoid an obsictical. He also stated I would have been at fault if an incident occurred for leaving the DE line.

For any future situations, I want to understand on which is correct, do what the situation calls for to avoid an incident or no matter what stay in the DE line.

I think for all the possible scenarios, anybody and everybody has got to be flexible, BUT, for students of DEs, We have to listen to the instructor, we base our safety and all other's safety on the instructors guidance.
Old 04-10-2018 | 12:49 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

In run groups with defined passing zones staying on line should be pretty straightforward. If there is a need to cross the track to stay on line, do that then point the passing car by.

As you move into groups with passing anywhere on track with a point by sometimes it gets blurry and it becomes more about the specific cars and speed deltas and specific track geometry and how much you trust each other to understand each other. But it always defaults back to being predictable and once you've communicated a specific intent to stick with it so you don't cross up the other driver .
Old 04-10-2018 | 02:26 PM
GSM
Track Day

Thank you for posting the video. I find these very educational and make me think critically about my own experiences. In my view, the driver giving the point seems to have failed to adjust speed for an off-line approach to the soft left turn. And combined with eyes in the mirror and only one hand the wheel, we get what we see here. Excellent reflexes and control by the OP! Glad nothing was bent.
Old 04-10-2018 | 05:30 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
if they need help, do what it takes to make it clean.. IE: If they take it late, then yes stay put and let them go. If you need a big lift or even brake to make it clean, then do so... Make it clean, even if you have to cover for their mistake.​​​​​​​

This is exactly what I did, and my instructor, let's say, was not happy, because I left the proper driving line to allow a pass. He made it clear, never, never leave the line.
He claimed, it is expectation that all drivers maintain the safe DE line, except for their own passing of another car or to avoid an obsictical. He also stated I would have been at fault if an incident occurred for leaving the DE line.

For any future situations, I want to understand on which is correct, do what the situation calls for to avoid an incident or no matter what stay in the DE line.

I think for all the possible scenarios, anybody and everybody has got to be flexible, BUT, for students of DEs, We have to listen to the instructor, we base our safety and all other's safety on the instructors guidance.
I believe you did the right thing after you gave the point by indicating which side to pass on (looked at track map via google). I think your instructor was wrong.

Originally Posted by DTMiller
In run groups with defined passing zones staying on line should be pretty straightforward. If there is a need to cross the track to stay on line, do that then point the passing car by.

As you move into groups with passing anywhere on track with a point by sometimes it gets blurry and it becomes more about the specific cars and speed deltas and specific track geometry and how much you trust each other to understand each other. But it always defaults back to being predictable and once you've communicated a specific intent to stick with it so you don't cross up the other driver .
That is not always possible. I.E. Hallett between turns 9 and 10. The DE line goes caddy corner from end of 9 to beginning of 10. That straight is considered a passing zone. In order for a pass to be accomplish prior to the turn it has to be given out of 9 therefore the car to be passed has to stay off the DE line. If not and the point by isn't given until after there isn't enough room for a safe pass prior to turn 10 in the lower run groups.
Old 04-10-2018 | 06:35 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

It just shows the potential for confusion (in a DE context, not racing).

In my experience, signalling a pass on the inside line to a corner is only common sense but not the standard in a all regions AFAIK.

I remember a track walk with Rick Bye at Mosport when he said (I paraphrase): "There are 2 passing trajectories here at Mosport - the inside line, and the ambulance line." He knows, and I trust him

As stated above, if you give the pass, you should hold your normal line and make sure the passing car get's through smoothly - lift a bit, don't race him into making a mistake, run a bit deeper and later before turning in if you have to.

Reciprocally, I would expect the passing car to keep off line (inside) and not cut back across.

All this in a DE context, but what I like to see in the groups I run with. It's safe and cuts down some unnecessary variables.

Best,

Matt
Old 04-10-2018 | 09:06 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
It just shows the potential for confusion (in a DE context, not racing).

In my experience, signalling a pass on the inside line to a corner is only common sense but not the standard in a all regions AFAIK.

I remember a track walk with Rick Bye at Mosport when he said (I paraphrase): "There are 2 passing trajectories here at Mosport - the inside line, and the ambulance line." He knows, and I trust him

As stated above, if you give the pass, you should hold your normal line and make sure the passing car get's through smoothly - lift a bit, don't race him into making a mistake, run a bit deeper and later before turning in if you have to.

Reciprocally, I would expect the passing car to keep off line (inside) and not cut back across.

All this in a DE context, but what I like to see in the groups I run with. It's safe and cuts down some unnecessary variables.

Best,

Matt
Thanks Matt for chiming in'
​​​​​​​
Is there an actual print (text) document or a set of pictures that defines what PCA determines is correct, ie, tutorial

Is it regional or track or instructor group dependent on the interpretation from PCA.

This might be a good topic for a class room instruction at a DE when the track map is up on the wall in front, but nobody likes the person who asks the questions

Quick Reply: Close Call