Bahrain F1 Race - Who Will Win?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 03:45 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Or maybe it all gets decided in the pits...
At least part of the race got decided in the pits! Man, the angle that Ferrari mechanics leg bent was horrible! That couldn't have been a clean break. Ouch!

Originally Posted by MarcD147
Good race and no commercials. Ficking amazing
Was ESPN trying to throw a bone to the F1 fans? No commercials.

The first third of the race was probably the best in years. The sparks under the lights help for dramatic effect. The rest of the race was pretty exciting as well but once the field spread out there were far fewer scraps.

***************Spolier

What a result for Honda and Torro Rosso and Pierre Gasly - 4th place! I wonder what the folks at McLaren are thinking now?
Old 04-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Great race and a heck of a drive by Seb. Hope that mechanic bounces back quickly. And how about Gasly in 4th? Too bad Hartley caught the penalty.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:26 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Just saw a clip from the press conference where Seb cut off a reporter trying to make an issue out of something Hamilton said about Max. Really liked his approach. Tip of the hat to Sebastian. Very classy.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:35 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 69 Posts

Blown away by Toro Rosso’s 4th place finish. I hope that Honda powerunit keeps pushing that hard all season!
Old 04-08-2018, 08:36 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Just saw a clip from the press conference where Seb cut off a reporter trying to make an issue out of something Hamilton said about Max. Really liked his approach. Tip of the hat to Sebastian. Very classy.
I agree. Good on Seb for speaking up.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by cds4402

I agree. Good on Seb for speaking up.
Agreed,
Great drive by Seb, phenomenal and deserved the win
Solid drive by LH to recover for points
Not Kimi's fault what happened but expected him to jump out of the car and run back to his pit crew, not head right into the garage. "hoping" he didn't realize and giving him the benefit of the doubt or it pretty disgusting behavior.
Poor poor showing by VB imho. He should have been able to own Seb, instead it was one half assed move for the win that was late and desperate anyway. I was hoping for and expecting more. I am sure Mercedes were too.
Gutted for Ricciardo.
Not sure what happened to Max for the retirement? Was it a result of the contact?
Rule that one as a racing incident btw... Max had the pass, Alonso slower on the inside, Max opened his hands a bit too early and squeeze through and wasn't quite clear yet. LH really didn't have anywhere else to go.
Gasley!!! Wow... Simply amazing drive.

What did I miss??
Old 04-09-2018, 11:17 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Yesterday was a good day for F1 in many respects. Finally, after several years of Mercedes dominance, there's a legitimate challenger. I still think Mercedes is the faster car, but if everything goes right, Ferrari can challenge. Let's face it, Vettel has been very lucky in these 2 races with a VSC in Race1 and Lewis having a 5 grid penalty in race 2.

More importantly, some of the teams that were left for dead, showed something yesterday. Toro Rosso and Honda simply amazed with Gasly at the wheel, Sauber looked racy, McLaren have had 2 cars finish in the points in two consecutive races. Alonso is sitting 4th in the WDC! MAG showing what the HAAS can do as well.

Gutted for poor Daniel Ricciardo, though. How many times does his car has to have an issue? Is that 6-8 races going back to the end of last year? What happened to the Red Bulls??

I hope that the poor Ferrari mechanic makes a full recover. I saw in real time his leg buckled, pushed rewind and confirmed what I had saw similar to the Joe Theisman injury.

I have to say, the broadcast by SKY was amazing! I don't know if they heard the complaints from the first race and went above and beyond with no broadcast of commercials during the race, but the quality of the insight, picture quality etc. was 1st class.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:50 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
I have to say, the broadcast by SKY was amazing! I don't know if they heard the complaints from the first race and went above and beyond with no broadcast of commercials during the race, but the quality of the insight, picture quality etc. was 1st class.
I thought most of what they said was just non-stop babble. The turn-by-turn shouting commentary at the start of the race was just terrible and I came close to just muting the whole thing. Didn't think they could be worse then Leigh Diffey, but I was wrong.

I thought the race was just OK. Not much challenging amoung the top 4, only those further back were racing each other. Sooo, not much different from last year "racing wise", just a slight change in they players.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:58 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCA
I thought most of what they said was just non-stop babble. The turn-by-turn shouting commentary at the start of the race was just terrible and I came close to just muting the whole thing. Didn't think they could be worse then Leigh Diffey, but I was wrong.
I think you have to differentiate the professional "play by play" broadcaster from the former F1 drivers (Brundle, Couthard, Di Resta). I'll call him the broadcaster because I don't know his name, but he's trying to spice it up a little by yelling, but it's just annoying. However, the insight and observations during the course of the race that is provided by the former F1 racers is amazing.

For example, if we take what was happening in the last 10 laps of that race, we've seen Vettel nurse tires to the end and win a race and we (or I) think he's backing down his pace to save tires for the end where if challenged by Bottas, he can stay ahead of him. But Brundle picked up that Vettel was spinning his tires out of turn 10 in 4th gear -- a long way from the corner -- I didn't see or hear it, but he did and it gave indication that Vettel was not saving tires because he didn't have anything to save if spinning tires that far down the back straight. Brundle also commented on Vettel saving energy harvesting for the end to ward off Bottas-- something I never heard Diffey or Hobbs talk about. I do miss Machett, however. There's other examples, but those are the ones that come off the top of my head right now.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:06 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah, how did Gasley pull that off? They beat factory Renault. Maybe McLaren should have stayed with Honda. lol.

My boy Seb held on for the victory. Another lap and he probably wouldn't have made it. 2-0!
Old 04-09-2018, 02:25 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Nothing that has happened so far makes me think Mercedes can beat Ferrari here. Verstappen clearly in trouble.

In other news, a buddy texted me and asked why doesn't every team do what Haas did and put the driver name on the halo so it's visible on the in car camera and I don't have a good answer for him other than some dumb new fan hostile notion that you are supposed to know who everyone is by their helmet paint.
Or that its a wasted opportunity for a sponsorship logo...

But, personally I liked seeing it there so that I could identify easily who's car it was.

Mike
Old 04-09-2018, 03:09 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Or that its a wasted opportunity for a sponsorship logo...

But, personally I liked seeing it there so that I could identify easily who's car it was.

Mike
Yeah, I would hope F1 has access to sufficiently capable graphics designers that would allow them to put a sponsor logo AND a driver number or name on the halo. Don't make the sport harder to figure out for new fans if the change doesn't affect the underlying sport in any way shape or form. The buddy I referenced had never watched a race before a weekend I was crashing in his guest room and got up to watch qualifying. He joined me, I explained the gist of it, he hasn't missed a race airing during sane hours since. Do the little things that make his experience easier, F1
Old 04-09-2018, 03:17 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 202 Posts

Bottas lost his MB contract after this year after that showing. Vettel’s tyres gone and he seemed to understeer at the end of the straight giving VB all kinds of room to come up the inside for the passing maneuver. LH; Alonso; Verstappen; Ricciardo all make that work.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:27 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
Bottas lost his MB contract after this year after that showing. Vettel’s tyres gone and he seemed to understeer at the end of the straight giving VB all kinds of room to come up the inside for the passing maneuver. LH; Alonso; Verstappen; Ricciardo all make that work.
I think you're right. It's a long season and Bottas can shine in the future, but Mercedes has to be disappointed that Bottas doesn't have that same killer instinct as the other drivers you mentioned. Rumor is Ricciardo is going to Ferrari or Mercedes after his contract expires at the end of this year.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:27 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
If he makes that pass -- MB is +14 points vs Ferrari over the current finish.
He's aggressive but fails to stick the pass and takes both of them out -- Hamilton wins, MB is +25pts over Ferrari.

it was a very anti-climatic finish...

M

Quick Reply: Bahrain F1 Race - Who Will Win?