VIR Club members

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Sebring27
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIR Club members

HI Folks,

I am looking for an invite from a VIR club Member so that I can attend the VIR club day on April 11th.
One has to have an invitation as a guest from a member. I live in FL and therefore am not a member.

Can anyone assist ?
Many thanks in advance !
Old 04-05-2018, 08:05 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

That's my home track, but I'm not a member. Was just looking at a post from a guy about the road ATL club. I asked them the cost and it is $6k initiation and $3300/yr + $75/day for 15 (to be 18) track days. If you went to all the track days it would be about $258/day, which is not bad.

Someone mentioned a cross-club visitor deal that some of these places have. I need to ask VIR about that and check into their pricing again.

I have never been to one of these club track days - who goes to those things? I would suspect, due to price, it is a bit more exclusive, which could be good or bad. Is the track full of Ferraris and Lambos or what? Is there any notion of progressing to a certain level before you can drive solo or is the $ buying you the solo drive?
Old 04-05-2018, 08:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring27
HI Folks,

I am looking for an invite from a VIR club Member so that I can attend the VIR club day on April 11th.
One has to have an invitation as a guest from a member. I live in FL and therefore am not a member.

Can anyone assist ?
Many thanks in advance !
PM me tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:46 PM
Sebring27
4th Gear

[QUOTE=aryork;14921558]That's my home track, but I'm not a member. Was just looking at a post from a guy about the road ATL club. I asked them the cost and it is $6k initiation and $3300/yr + $75/day for 15 (to be 18) track days. If you went to all the track days it would be about $258/day, which is not bad.

Someone mentioned a cross-club visitor deal that some of these places have. I need to ask VIR about that and check into their pricing again.

I have never been to one of these club track days - who goes to those things? I would suspect, due to price, it is a bit more exclusive, which could be good or bad. Is the track full of Ferraris and Lambos or what? Is there any notion of progressing to a certain level before you can drive solo or is the $ buying you the solo drive

Many thanks for replying. Highly appreciated !
Old 04-05-2018, 10:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by aryork
That's my home track, but I'm not a member.

I have never been to one of these club track days - who goes to those things? I would suspect, due to price, it is a bit more exclusive, which could be good or bad. Is the track full of Ferraris and Lambos or what? Is there any notion of progressing to a certain level before you can drive solo or is the $ buying you the solo drive?
Good Lord, man. Come out to one before you paint with a broad brush... your posts are usually good, but I would encourage you to gather data before describing a club day and the members that way...

I wrote the original VIR Club bylaws in 1999, and it’s all about friends having fun with cars.

I don’t know anyone that is taking food off the table to go to the track, and the economic question is one you need to answer for yourself. I can tell you that the population density IS lower than even the for-profit “premium” track days, and the meals together and social aspect is a great, and central, ingredient.

The cars are far from the rarified exotics you seem to think are the norm, but the goal is a safer environment than at most all other track events, with the culture being far more tolerant and less competitive than most DE’s. That doesn’t mean there are not exemplary drivers and cars, but it does mean most people are on the same page enjoying cars together.

I’ve been a guest instructor and coach at several other Motorsports country clubs affiliated with tracks, and there are some very good programs out there, VIR, Lime Rock, Thermal, Monticello, Autobahn (one of the first), NJMP, PBIR and now Road Atlanta are all in that crowd.

Come on out, aryork, I’m glad to host you at your home track...
Old 04-07-2018, 12:01 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Even the food at Oak Tree is better during member days . Or pretty much any day that they don't get mobbed by a race or DE crowd. If I lived less then eight hrs away...
Old 04-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Sebring27
4th Gear

PM Sent
Old 04-08-2018, 02:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sebring27
PM Sent
Got it, thanks!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-30-2018, 04:52 PM
Tripper
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Good Lord, man. Come out to one before you paint with a broad brush... your posts are usually good, but I would encourage you to gather data before describing a club day and the members that way...

I wrote the original VIR Club bylaws in 1999, and it’s all about friends having fun with cars.

I don’t know anyone that is taking food off the table to go to the track, and the economic question is one you need to answer for yourself. I can tell you that the population density IS lower than even the for-profit “premium” track days, and the meals together and social aspect is a great, and central, ingredient.

The cars are far from the rarified exotics you seem to think are the norm, but the goal is a safer environment than at most all other track events, with the culture being far more tolerant and less competitive than most DE’s. That doesn’t mean there are not exemplary drivers and cars, but it does mean most people are on the same page enjoying cars together.

I’ve been a guest instructor and coach at several other Motorsports country clubs affiliated with tracks, and there are some very good programs out there, VIR, Lime Rock, Thermal, Monticello, Autobahn (one of the first), NJMP, PBIR and now Road Atlanta are all in that crowd.

Come on out, aryork, I’m glad to host you at your home track...
Very true, ProCoach is spot on. It's the culture that makes a club attractive and sustainable long term. We (Driving Club at Road Atlanta) just announced a reciprocal benefit with VIR, so it seems like this relationship between member communities is going to gel just fine.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tripper
Very true, ProCoach is spot on. It's the culture that makes a club attractive and sustainable long term. We (Driving Club at Road Atlanta) just announced a reciprocal benefit with VIR, so it seems like this relationship between member communities is going to gel just fine.
Welcome. The synergy is high...
Old 07-01-2018, 09:14 AM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We’ve been fortunate to spend a significant amount of time at VIR for the last couple of years participating in the member events and the David Murry days. I have to say that VIR is definitely a world class facility on many levels. Most of all, everyone is very accommodating, helpful and friendly. The track itself is definitely in the top five and a must to drive. The member days offer a great value compared to other private track memberships. Although we prefer the David Murry platform, as it offers unparalleled flexibility for testing, I would strongly recommend a VIR membership.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:15 AM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We’ve been fortunate to spend a significant amount of time at VIR for the last couple of years participating in the member events and the David Murry days. I have to say that VIR is definitely a world class facility on many levels. Most of all, everyone is very accommodating, helpful and friendly. The track itself is definitely in the top five and a must to drive. The member days offer a great value compared to other private track memberships. Although we prefer the David Murry platform, as it offers unparalleled flexibility for testing, I would strongly recommend a VIR membership.

Quick Reply: VIR Club members