Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE helmet recommendation

Old 03-29-2018, 03:55 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DE helmet recommendation

I'm planning to get back on the track (DE) this year, my last helmet was a Bell M3 SA2005. Bone stock 997, no harness or HANS. Go with the current Bell Sport SA2015 or is there anything lighter/safer/better in the same class? I see RaceQuip, G-Force and Zamp, but not familiar with them or their fit.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:39 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

If it fits, go for it--I'm happy with my SA2015 Bell Sport EV.

Gary
Old 03-29-2018, 09:14 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Bell is a good choice provided it fits your noggin.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:20 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Stilo ST5. Comfortable, high quality, tons of add on's if you want options later down the road.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:04 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229
I'm planning to get back on the track (DE) this year, my last helmet was a Bell M3 SA2005. Bone stock 997, no harness or HANS. Go with the current Bell Sport SA2015 or is there anything lighter/safer/better in the same class? I see RaceQuip, G-Force and Zamp, but not familiar with them or their fit.
The BELL M.8 replaces the old M.3 and M.4 models. Note that your helmet was most likely made at BELL's facility in Rantoulle, IL. Production was moved China when sa10 helmets came out. Now, SA15 helmets are made in Bahrain. Some customers say the fit is not the same but others have had no issues. Fit really depends on your head shape - if your head is more round front to back at the forehead, Gforce/Zamp will fit better. BELL is right in the middle of round/oval. If your head is more oval front to back at the forehead, HJC, Oreca, Roux, Stilo, Arai are your best bets. If your current Bell is tight in the forehead and loose in the cheeks, you probably have a more oval head. If it fits just right, I'd stay with Bell.

Feel free to contact us with any fitment questions. The size charts are guidelines but not 100% guarantee of fit. And they run different. If you wear a medium in a BELL, you'll probably be an XL in HJC, Roux, Stilo, Arai. And if you get in something that you just don't like the fit, we will happily exchange an unused helmet. You only pay shipping charges and any price difference (if applicable).

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 03-29-2018, 12:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

very please with my zamp. inexpensive also
Old 03-29-2018, 04:56 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
If it fits, go for it--I'm happy with my SA2015 Bell Sport EV.

Gary
There's definitely more padding, especially around the cheeks, in my SA2015 v-a-v my old SA2005 Sport. The old model was a medium and I had to go to a small for the new one.

Gary
Old 03-31-2018, 12:30 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great info on fit, thank you! I am going to try and find some local vendors to actually try them on, but will definitely keep you in mind! If I could ask another question, is there a big difference in height between brands? I'm pretty close to the headliner and would like to have as much clearance as possible.

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
The BELL M.8 replaces the old M.3 and M.4 models. Note that your helmet was most likely made at BELL's facility in Rantoulle, IL. Production was moved China when sa10 helmets came out. Now, SA15 helmets are made in Bahrain. Some customers say the fit is not the same but others have had no issues. Fit really depends on your head shape - if your head is more round front to back at the forehead, Gforce/Zamp will fit better. BELL is right in the middle of round/oval. If your head is more oval front to back at the forehead, HJC, Oreca, Roux, Stilo, Arai are your best bets. If your current Bell is tight in the forehead and loose in the cheeks, you probably have a more oval head. If it fits just right, I'd stay with Bell.

Feel free to contact us with any fitment questions. The size charts are guidelines but not 100% guarantee of fit. And they run different. If you wear a medium in a BELL, you'll probably be an XL in HJC, Roux, Stilo, Arai. And if you get in something that you just don't like the fit, we will happily exchange an unused helmet. You only pay shipping charges and any price difference (if applicable).
Old 03-31-2018, 12:51 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

arai and hjc tend to be more aerodynamic but honestly, it will depend on your head shape and how the helmet fits you. if it doesn't sit diwn completely on your head, it will sit higher.

ideally, you want the eyes in the middle of the veyeport, even pressure all around the head, if you rotate the helmet forward and rearward, it should grip your face and eyebrows will move with the helmet.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:13 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

One vote for Arai. I have a GP6 and love it. Very comfortable and high quality.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Having tried on plenty of different helmets I can attest to different brands / manufacturers fitting differently. It is also way more important to have a helmet which fits properly and is comfortable than to have a fancy brand name or material. When test fitting don't just try on the helmet for a few seconds. Put it on and leave it on for 20-30 minutes. Find out if it's going to generate uncomfortable pressure points. If you can't wear it comfortably for 20 minutes you'll never make it through a lapping session at a HPDE. Size-wise I find consistency between Bell, HJC, and G-Force. I own the latter two and have worn a Bell. A medium in one is similar to a medium in the other two. In my experience Zamp helmets run very small. I was helmet shopping for my father. He ended up with an XXL G-Force, but at one point we tried an XL Zamp. The XL Zamp was not much larger than my Medium HJC AR-10.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:45 AM
Andrew.M.Cox
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought a Conquer Snell SA2015. Amazon has them for maybe $170 shipped. It's comfortable to me. For reference, I was a XXL in an older G-Force, and this Conquer is an XL.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:54 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

I can't seem to find one that feels good...wonder why

Old 04-03-2018, 12:12 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

Great advice from Apex.

I have an Arai and a Roux (from Apex -very easy to do business with). Very pleased with both. Previously had Bell which also was great until it timed out.
Fit is everything, and everyone is different. Try on a bunch within whatever your budget range.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:52 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

If the Bell fits well, I would just stick with it. Personally found HJC to be a great helmet that fits well, have had it for 5 years now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DE helmet recommendation