Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to introduce rotating the car to a student?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:57 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts
Default When to introduce rotating the car to a student?

WGI is my home track.

I will be there this May for my third Zone 1 HPDE.

I just saw this video, I don't know who it is, but this person can "haul the mail" at WGI.

The way the car passes through the bus stop @ 80mph, then sets up the turn and mildly rotates the car around. The same technique looks like it is used throughout the boot.

My question is, when can an instructor bring in rotation to a student?

See this video below, I wouldn't mind this person for an instructor

https://www.facebook.com/WatkinsGlenInternational/videos/10157346424406038/

Last edited by NYoutftr; 03-28-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:08 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Not that it Matters or relates to you, but they first started working with me on it when I moved from green to yellow. Throttle steering and trail braking to rotate the car. Starting to really help me get the feel of the physics of rotation.

I have a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go, but it has improved my driving dramatically. There is a certain "feel" that I get when I do it correctly. Hard to explain, but I know it when I feel it.

I am a middle intermediate driver at best (blue run group in my PCA region). See you at Zone 1 WGI....
Old 03-28-2018, 11:27 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Not that it Matters or relates to you, but they first started working with me on it when I moved from green to yellow. Throttle steering and trail braking to rotate the car. Starting to really help me get the feel of the physics of rotation.

I have a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go, but it has improved my driving dramatically. There is a certain "feel" that I get when I do it correctly. Hard to explain, but I know it when I feel it.

I am a middle intermediate driver at best (blue run group in my PCA region). See you at Zone 1 WGI....
That feeling " I got it that time " for me comes on turn 9 at WGI, it is the most difficult for me to get right, but when I do, the car responds totally different, so I know what you mean.

I bring some cheese, olives, salami and vino for after hours at WGI
Old 03-28-2018, 11:28 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
That feeling " I got it that time " for me comes on turn 9 at WGI, it is the most difficult for me to get right, but when I do, the car responds totally different, so I know what you mean.

I bring some cheese, olives, salami and vino for after hours at WGI
White or red?
Old 03-28-2018, 11:37 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
White or red?
Red, from Montepulicano, Tuscany
One of the most beautiful places on earth
Old 03-29-2018, 12:30 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Red, from Montepulicano, Tuscany
One of the most beautiful places on earth
I'll have Whites, Pinot Grigios and a local resiling called Dr Franks, Amazingly dry resiling.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:32 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really good question. This post is click bait for me.

The lines between examining/instructing and coaching are high on my list.

Hoping for a few more posts soon.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:36 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Depends on the driver but I think it is a white (HPDE 3) skill. Yellow solo the driver is just trying to figure it out.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:44 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Depends on the driver but I think it is a white (HPDE 3) skill. Yellow solo the driver is just trying to figure it out.
Do you know who is driving in that video?
Old 03-29-2018, 01:24 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:30 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
Once the driver gets the 2D line down and has played with understeer and oversteer throughout the corner/track, you can start introducing the 3D line. If the driver hasn't explored grip/tire/suspension loads yet, then it is too early as muscle memory is a prerequisite for proper weight manipulation.
What does 2D stand for?
Old 03-29-2018, 08:33 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I remember we started discussing this in Blue and then continued with it in White (we run Green > Blue > White > Black > Red). Our home track, Summit Point, has a wet skid pad and that makes a lot of difference. We also check to see how much skid pad time each student has in order to make sure they know what to do when they get more rotation than they wanted

I also rotate in Turn 9 at WGI, it's SOP and now part of my line
Old 03-29-2018, 09:30 AM
rhargy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it can also depend on the track that you're running on. NJMP is my home track and there are areas that I feel like (with the right student) I can start to introduce throttle steer in a pretty safe manner to Green/Blue students. On Thunderbolt, the Octopus is a great, low speed area to introduce throttle steer and the sharp right hand entry to the Octopus is a great place to introduce trail braking and rotating the car. I've also had good success introducing throttle steer to students in the Bowl on Lightning. There's plenty of room for errors in these spots and I make sure that we're not in traffic and that the student is mentally prepped ahead of the session, but if the circumstances allow, I try and introduce it pretty early.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:54 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Does it make sense to first have a coach/instructor take you out either in your car or theirs and demo it to you so you can get a feel for it?
Old 03-29-2018, 10:37 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
Does it make sense to first have a coach/instructor take you out either in your car or theirs and demo it to you so you can get a feel for it?
Absolutely. There is no substitute for seat time with an instructor, regardless of which one of you is driving.
At VIR a couple weeks ago, we were working a lot on throttle steering and trail braking.
I was driving as the coach was telling me "back on the gas lightly", "stay on the brake as you enter this corner", "rotate the back of the car out with light throttle", etc.
There is no substitute for that kind of in car coaching.
I'm learning so much about weight transfer and the actual physics involved with weight transfer from front to back and side to side.
Using the brakes to set the car, using the throttle to push the back end out, staying on the brakes rotate the car into a corner, etc.
There is no substitute for that kind of in car coaching.
So yes, it make sense to first have a coach/instructor take you out either in your car or theirs and demo it to you so you can get a feel for it.

Quick Reply: When to introduce rotating the car to a student?