Sponsored by:

First HPDE with my 16' 911 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 11:15 AM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default First HPDE with my 16' 911 GTS

Coming from a perfectly balanced 05 M3 and this being my first Porsche I was a bit nervous the days before the event. I attended the PBOC/PCA event at Homestead Speedway. I used to run with the PBOC SuperSolo group which is an open passing run group with no point by required but that was about five years ago. This group requires extensive protection equipment which at this point I'm not doing to the GTS. I requested an instructor that knows the characteristics of the current 911 model as I have to learn how this car performs at speed and was perfectly matched to a 911 driver and head of the SuperSolo group.

The day before the event I researched tire pressures for the stock P-zero tires and had a base line to start with. By the last session I was using hot pressures of 34 front and 38 rear. The tires are in good condition after the 1hr 45min of track time. I believe I could have brought the pressures down 1-2 psi to increase tire grip.

My GTS has the PDK and with the Sport mode activated and keeping it in "Drive" the shifting was to say the least amazing. The PDK learned my braking and acceleration throughout the track and shifted with amazing speed without upsetting the car's balance. I left it in drive mode so I could concentrate on learning how to drive the 911. I also did not active the sport suspension.

Each session I was becoming more comfortable with the GTS as the front end is light under throttle and trail braking increased the exit speed.

I left the day feeling I need to become more comfortable in giving the car more throttle after the brake zone. I was lightly applying throttle thru the corners and then to the floor upon exit. Definitely need more confidence thru the turns but like I said this is my first track day with a 911. By my last session my instructor bumped me up to the Solo group (passing anywhere with required point by) as I was handling the car without issue and was faster than the majority of the Novice / Intermediate drivers.

Next track day I will put the GTS on the alignment rack and see what improvements can be had there. The GTS never understeered or oversteered (except the first session when the rear tire pressure increased to 51 psi). At this point the GTS has much more power than the M3 I was driving so HP mods can wait. The brakes never faded. It has stock pads and stock fluids. With future tire upgrades to maybe Sport Cups or PS4S fluids will have to be upgraded to Motul.

Track rash.

Moved from 400 Group to the Solo 300 Group.

Homestead Speedway 3-24-18

Homestead Speedway 3-24-18
The following users liked this post:
Red_66 (11-17-2023)
Old 03-27-2018, 03:58 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Good looking car and sounds like you took the right approach. I wish more people had your attitude when coming back after a short hiatus.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:59 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Great to see another 991 at the track.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:31 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those are sweet machines
Old 04-05-2018, 08:29 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

Great story, thanks! I have only had manuals. When I went to the Porsche driving school at Barber, I requested manuals, but they did not have that many there at that time, so we spent most of the time with PDK. I tried paddle shifting, but quickly gave that up and let the car do it. When I finally got into a manual, I literally felt like I did not know what I was doing. We only had one session with the manuals and then went back to PDK, thankfully! I love the manual GT4, but was totally impressed by the PDK for sure! Plus launch control!
Old 04-06-2018, 03:14 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice job! I too have a GTS and find it incredible on track (manual gearbox). I would suggest leaving the PDK in sport + manual mode.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:41 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Originally Posted by hsmith
I would suggest leaving the PDK in sport + manual mode.
First track day driving a 911 so wanted to concentrate on learning its dynamics. Next track day I'll experiment with the Sport suspension and Sport +. With the PDK in Drive it shifts so well in the brake zones I cannot imagine doing it faster. Under acceleration would be different as I would be able to short shift if need be and will stress the engine less as the day gets hotter. Next track day will be at Sebring where I have driven dozens of times with an M3.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:48 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
First track day driving a 911 so wanted to concentrate on learning its dynamics. Next track day I'll experiment with the Sport suspension and Sport +. With the PDK in Drive it shifts so well in the brake zones I cannot imagine doing it faster. Under acceleration would be different as I would be able to short shift if need be and will stress the engine less as the day gets hotter. Next track day will be at Sebring where I have driven dozens of times with an M3.
will you be at Sebring with NASA April 21-22?
Old 04-10-2018, 01:51 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Originally Posted by awrryan

will you be at Sebring with NASA April 21-22?

I usually run with PBOC or Chin Motorsports. I'm either going on May 5 w/ PBOC/PCA or May 19 with Chin. I'm leaning on a single day with Chin...they offer a ton of track time. The last session of the day is one hour w/ open pit.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:25 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
I usually run with PBOC or Chin Motorsports. I'm either going on May 5 w/ PBOC/PCA or May 19 with Chin. I'm leaning on a single day with Chin...they offer a ton of track time. The last session of the day is one hour w/ open pit.
so I hear. A little more expensive but a lot more time.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:12 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Default '16 911 GTS at Sebring Int' 9/8-9

Had a great weekend with the PBOC event at Sebring Int. Raceway. Two days (3.5 hrs) of track time with my 991.1 GTS. This was my first time buying track insurance with this being my 2nd time tracking the GTS and having a bad crash here made me feel more at ease. I had a plan to get an alignment prior to the event but never happened. I did however upgrade the brake fluid to Motul 600 as I knew Sebring is hard on brakes with two high speed straights. There were suggestions to try Sport+ and wanted to try lowing the tire pressures a couple psi. Day 1: After the first session I used Sport+ the entire weekend. This was the first time using Sport+ and man those shifts come on hard and fast. Never had to manually change a gear as the car was always in the sweet spot in the RPM range. Also, tried lowering the tire pressures to 32/36 hot and just did not like it. The tires felt like they were rolling over. Mid day temps were in the mid-90's so the lower pressures and hot track surface was not a good combination. I eventually found that 36/38 hot on the PZeros N0 are best...even my lap times showed this. That leads to me downloading the app Track Addict after my 2nd session. Such a cool app with useful information where I can improve.
Day 2: Have not been to Sebring in many years I kept on trying to find my best lines thru T1 and T17. And while I'm in the Solo group, the open passing with point by adds to the challenge.

After two days at Sebring and Homestead back in March the stock brake pads are done. So my plan are the Girodiscs front and rear / and either stick with the Porsche pads or something that will last longer like the DS2500 pads. The PZeros are still in good shape...for now. Would like to take some of the roll out of the car so maybe the GT3 swaybars and links or springs and the DSC.

Correct G-force recorded.

Fastest lap time. Stock '16 911 GTS
The following users liked this post:
Red_66 (11-17-2023)
Old 09-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OP: enjoyed your accounts very much. I alternated between an 02 M3 6MT and 15 GT3 the last two seasons on track. The former modified but still used on street, the latter stock except corner weighted and with lighter wheels than stock. Despite having more track time in the GT3, I have 13 more years and 150K more miles over all in the M3 and I do the work on it, not to mention that it is a slower car, and I felt more comfortable with it in general. Its grip exceeds the logic of the DSC so long as one is not stupid. Partway through this past season I realized I have become more comfortable with the GT3. I can better anticipate what it will do and it seems more logical, though I am nowhere near the true limits of either car. FWIW I have yet to find I am a better judge than the PDK in S. I look forward to reading your next posts from the track.

Quick Reply: First HPDE with my 16' 911 GTS