Do We Need Insurance for This?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 11:45 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetch
+
It's a bit annoying that no track would answer the question regarding whether their staff are permitted to sue DE drivers. Even an ambiguous CYA answer would have been nice from them, but I guess not replying is a form of CYA.
That's why you need to look at the policy held by the organizer you participate under.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:56 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ExMB
Says the lawyer.

But yet there are so many lawyers (ambulance chasers) advertising, looking for stupid people, to support their own lifestyle under the guise of helping them.

Lets take it one step further; diminish both by requiring that the loser has to cover costs for both sides. Not sure that is possible with the current system of lobbyists.
Seek Party Party costs at the onset of discovery. Not a lawyer- but advised by one.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:23 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I think the chance of needing 3PL coverage for DE is very low. Someone might try to sue you, but between the waivers and known assumption of risk it is probably unlikely you'd actually get hit with a judgment. Legal costs could suck if you're not a lawyer, though.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:37 PM
Vetch
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
That's why you need to look at the policy held by the organizer you participate under.
I challenge you to get any club to give you a copy of their insurance policy - including the exclusions and definitions.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:39 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
I think the chance of needing 3PL coverage for DE is very low. Someone might try to sue you, but between the waivers and known assumption of risk it is probably unlikely you'd actually get hit with a judgment. Legal costs could suck if you're not a lawyer, though.
The third parties do not sign a waiver.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:29 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I challenge you to get any club to give you a copy of their insurance policy - including the exclusions and definitions.
That is a huge problem and why I rarely race with anyone but SCCA. SCCA is quite forthcoming to its 67,000 members. As a member the main office is happy to get you a policy copy and are quite proud of their policy and how it protects its members. The declarations of the SCCA policy are in black and white in the 2018 SCCA GCR.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:18 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
That is a huge problem and why I rarely race with anyone but SCCA. SCCA is quite forthcoming to its 67,000 members. As a member the main office is happy to get you a policy copy and are quite proud of their policy and how it protects its members. The declarations of the SCCA policy are in black and white in the 2018 SCCA GCR.
Wow! Good to know that at least one club offers the policy details to its members. You gotta like that. I've had no success in getting this information from various PCA contacts. To the best of my knowledge, only a "summary" page is available, which is not detailed enough to be helpful in my opinion.

Last edited by Vetch; 03-29-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:34 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

The third parties do not sign a waiver.
Other drivers on track are the third parties. It would be very rare indeed for a spectator to get injured at an event.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:01 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Other drivers on track are the third parties. It would be very rare indeed for a spectator to get injured at an event.
Actually that is not true according to the track insurance provider with whom I spoke. Third parties include track employees, photographers, tow truck drivers and emergency staff.

The right to bring suit in the event of a driver to driver collision is what is theoretically waived by signing the registration agreement and is not part of what is covered with third party liability insurance.

Quick Reply: Do We Need Insurance for This?