Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New PCA Class - Spec 997 (997.2 C2/C2S, MT&PDK)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by BillNye
What is it that makes the running costs of a Cup car so much higher?
I know the stated maintenance intervals of a Cup are much more frequent than a "street" car, but wouldn't a street car used in the same manner be expected to have a similar maintenance schedule?

I'm not looking for exact figures, but how would the operating costs compare in these two scenarios?

1) A "street" 997 built out to be a race car and driven hard in a wheel to wheel racing class.
2) A GT3 cup driven sensibly for open track days.
Other than engine and gearbox overhauls (those are the big ones), there are at least three other reasons that make the Cups more expensive:- Very few Cup drivers self support due to the complexities of the car so it’s more expensive to go to the track with it with shop support- Spare parts like bumpers, doors and other body parts and the cost of mechanical spares is massively more expensive on a Cup- The Cups run Pirellis and the spec cars run the much cheaper HoosiersThe cheap aquisition cost of Cups are also sometimes misleading as they pretty much reflect the maintenance status of the car.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:47 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

The Pdk option for this class appears to be popular right out of the gate. Those cars down in Texas are pdks, six of them.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:30 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 76 Posts

One issue I see is that it would be extremely difficult to reach the minimum weight of the 3.6l cars with the allowed body modifications. This basically means there is one option for the class.

I understand the class was suggested by racers. How many racers does it take? It just seems like in this case an easy solution would have been to run the cars in stock class. Tech for these cars wouldn't be any easier than checking allowed changes on stock class cars. Run cost is the same, build cost is the same or more. Looks like you can run 70 pounds lighter than a "J" class PDK 997S and add a getty wing in SP997. Hard to see why a new class was needed for that.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

If you have well over half of the active class asking for it I think they listen. J class could easily add $15k+ to the build cost and increase running costs as well. When you remove restrictions on intake, exhaust manifold, tune, shocks, links, bushings, tires, and wheels it adds up quickly. Plus I think the whole point of the Spec classes is to make it as much about the racer as possible.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
If you have well over half of the active class asking for it I think they listen. J class could easily add $15k+ to the build cost and increase running costs as well. When you remove restrictions on intake, exhaust manifold, tune, shocks, links, bushings, tires, and wheels it adds up quickly. Plus I think the whole point of the Spec classes is to make it as much about the racer as possible.
Im not so sure...i think both letter and spec can make changes before maf, both can do headers/exhaust upgrade, neither class can run a tune, shocks are similar adjustables, links/bushings basically the same, sway bars, exact same tire...

Old 03-21-2018, 05:18 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Compared to SPC.. Essentially same mods but starting with a better car, and sensible aero... So for 10k more could have a much better car, with the same running costs. My only concern would be weights, they seem a little high.

I wish I would have known about this 6 months ago.... This will kill SPC and unfortunately I am just wrapping up my SPC build.... Damn it....
Wait till you drive your car. This won't hurt SPC - clearly there's a place for a mid-engine spec class above SPB, and the 10k (or more) delta matters for some.

Agree with Muller that the future looks like... spec.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Fumes
Im not so sure...i think both letter and spec can make changes before maf, both can do headers/exhaust upgrade, neither class can run a tune, shocks are similar adjustables, links/bushings basically the same, sway bars, exact same tire...
I still have the spreadsheet i built with the difference between Sp996, H, and GTB1 before I chose to build to GTB1 last year. The car ended up quick enough that I could match or beat the SP996 track records with me driving it. Which says alot about the car.

You were right on the manifold, SP997 allows aftermarket whereas SP996 didn't. But the rest, not so much. Below is copy/pasted from the 2018 rules. And yes, I really need to get a life.

SP997
- Air Filter and Intake. No modifications to the factory engine air inlet or intake system.
- The ECU and the flash of the computer engine management system must remain stock
- All suspension components not otherwise listed must be stock factory parts...Except where specifically noted, no solid bushings are allowed
- Front Control Arms. Stock or Porsche Factory adjustable front control arms for the GT3 “Street “model or the Tarett kit #LCA997FL is allowed
- Springs and Shocks. The Motion Control 2WNR (2‐way non remote) with 2.25” ID spring hardware, and with SP997 valve revision
- R7 Hoosier Racing Tire Sports Car DOT Radial is the primary spec tire
- Wheel /tire combined weight must be equal to or greater than 40 lbs. for fronts, and 46 lbs. for rears

Stock Classes:
- Chips are free in pre‐OBDII cars, so long as the stock rev limit, and boost control on turbocharged engines, is retained.
- Shock absorbers are free providing they are in the same location and use the same pick‐up points as supplied by the factory, with no limits on adjustability or location of the reservoir
- Shock absorbers are free
- Sway bar sizes and configuration are free
- Suspension and drive train mounting bushing and vibration absorbing materials are free
- Aftermarket 2‐piece lower control arms are allowed on the 996/997/Boxster/Cayman (solid bushing)
- Any DOT (or its European equivalent) approved
- Wheel type, style, and diameter are free
Old 03-21-2018, 06:45 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Spc/spb/997spec and stock class have about all the same mods

They want spec class cause people are saying that in stock class you have to buy the expensive shocks.
I used to run jrz 2 ways on my F and now run 4 ways on my gtb1 instead of 2 ways.
F""", you need a master in engineering to understand them.

Like 80% of the stock car class run 2 ways shocks which is about what 1500-2000$ more than spc shock. It doesnt make sense.

Just merge 997 with other classes and call it a day

Look at the numbers in spc, 2-4 cars per race since what 2 years? Bad move from PCA and the racers who proposed it.

Franklin was running a gen1 in gtb1 and he was on the podium very often.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:39 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

PCA does a terrible job keeping older Porsche's competitive and in some cases newer cars un-competitive. 996's are not competitive anywhere except spec 996. Maybe that is the fate of the 997 and someone has the foresight to see this and lobbied for a class of it's own. Boxsters could be competitive in E but they are not due to the rules. Cayman's are about to dominate g class. Don't bother racing F if your not in a Boxster S. GTB1 is basically Spec Cayman on steroids now. Every class with Multiple cars has a dominate car. Seems like spec classes are the only thing PCA has that keeps things equal.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:47 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 118 Posts

I prefer spec classes. At least cars are equal by intent. The letter classes always have a dominant model and that is just the way it is...I learned that the hard way. That is why it is advised to decide on the class before buying/building a PCA race car and not the other way around!
Old 03-22-2018, 10:59 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

yeahhhh no - what seb said...car is pretty much the same

yes you have to run specific shocks and springs in spec, in letters you get 3-way, yes you cant use solid bushings in spec, but both run same tire (R7), same sway bars (gt3/tarrett) same LCAs and links, both stock flash (that chip free rule is for old cars)...the differences are pretty trivial in terms of performance

Originally Posted by Slakker
I still have the spreadsheet i built with the difference between Sp996, H, and GTB1 before I chose to build to GTB1 last year. The car ended up quick enough that I could match or beat the SP996 track records with me driving it. Which says alot about the car.

You were right on the manifold, SP997 allows aftermarket whereas SP996 didn't. But the rest, not so much. Below is copy/pasted from the 2018 rules. And yes, I really need to get a life.

SP997
- Air Filter and Intake. No modifications to the factory engine air inlet or intake system.
- The ECU and the flash of the computer engine management system must remain stock
- All suspension components not otherwise listed must be stock factory parts...Except where specifically noted, no solid bushings are allowed
- Front Control Arms. Stock or Porsche Factory adjustable front control arms for the GT3 “Street “model or the Tarett kit #LCA997FL is allowed
- Springs and Shocks. The Motion Control 2WNR (2‐way non remote) with 2.25” ID spring hardware, and with SP997 valve revision
- R7 Hoosier Racing Tire Sports Car DOT Radial is the primary spec tire
- Wheel /tire combined weight must be equal to or greater than 40 lbs. for fronts, and 46 lbs. for rears

Stock Classes:
- Chips are free in pre‐OBDII cars, so long as the stock rev limit, and boost control on turbocharged engines, is retained.
- Shock absorbers are free providing they are in the same location and use the same pick‐up points as supplied by the factory, with no limits on adjustability or location of the reservoir
- Shock absorbers are free
- Sway bar sizes and configuration are free
- Suspension and drive train mounting bushing and vibration absorbing materials are free
- Aftermarket 2‐piece lower control arms are allowed on the 996/997/Boxster/Cayman (solid bushing)
- Any DOT (or its European equivalent) approved
- Wheel type, style, and diameter are free
Old 03-22-2018, 01:17 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
F""", you need a master in engineering to understand them.
Nah, you just need a fellow canuck

Originally Posted by Paseb
Look at the numbers in spc, 2-4 cars per race since what 2 years? Bad move from PCA and the racers who proposed it.
If you look at the planned numbers (so far) for this year....
MidO - up to 7
WG - 8
NJMP - 5
RAm - 5
...I think the class is healthy and growing. The first 2 years in any spec class are always tenuous - a fair amount of people sit back to see what will happen. The spec is good and with the change to a better tire this year it's going to be a break out season.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:27 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm OK that SPC didn't use the 2.9 liter 987.2 car....more spares for me in G!
Old 03-22-2018, 01:33 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Spec Cayman looks to be a great class overall, and I really enjoy mid-engine dynamics. If I had a bigger pile of money to burn on building a race car I’d probably be building a SPC instead of the SPB right now.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:40 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Nah, you just need a fellow canuck

[COLOR=#333333]If you look at the planned numbers (so far) for this year....
MidO - up to 7
WG - 8
NJMP - 5
RAm - 5
...I think the class is healthy and growing. The first 2 years in any spec class are always tenuous - a fair amount of people sit back to see what will happen. The spec is good and with the change to a better tire this year it's going to be a break out season.
I know youre my fellow canuck matt, you just have to make to the races im doing lol

Planned numbers? How about the one that signed already lol

RA: 3
Limerock: 2
Mid ohio: 1

Its not encouraging from my point of view but lets be positive about the class!

Quick Reply: New PCA Class - Spec 997 (997.2 C2/C2S, MT&PDK)