Sponsored by:

Stock 997.2 S tire and alignment recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:40 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stock 997.2 S tire and alignment recommendations

I have a new to me 997.2 Carrera S (PASM) which will need new tires before heading to the track and I'm trying to decide on tires and need advice on alignment specs.

It's been about 8 years since I've done a DE. I had just started running solo. I will pretty much be starting over, but not a total newbie. I don't aspire to be a pro racer, just enjoy the capabilities or the car on the track. (no interest in dedicated track wheels/tires)

The car is a weekend / fair weather / summer driver, maybe 2-3k street miles per year and I plan to do 2 or 3 weekends at the track, maybe an autocross once in a while.

Tires-

The stock tires are 235/35/19 and 295/30/19 (I think 8/11" wide wheels) and I assume I should stick with those sizes. I am considering PS4S, AD08R or RE71R with the understanding that the later will be better on track with compromises on the street vs. the Michelins. From what I have read so far...

PS4S - great street tire, but may not be able to handle the heat and get greasy fairly quickly on the track.
AD08R - stiff tire, sticky, will handle the heat better, good wear.
RE71R - recommended by my Indy, very sticky, but maybe poor wear... but maybe not a big deal given my use.

Any real-world input on these tires or others I haven't considered is appreciated.

Alignment -

I'd like to maximize the stock suspensions potential on the track without changing any suspension components or making it a total pain to drive on the street. I'm assuming that maxing out the negative camber front and rear is the way to go, but not sure about caster and toe. I'd like the car to be as neutral as possible and prefer to have to "turn" the car rather than twitchy steering.

Again, any input based on experience is greatly appreciated!

Oh, and brakes.. fresh fluid / stock pads and will assess after my first DE, unless the recommendation is to do something different.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:39 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Subscribed. Very curious to hear any recommendations...
Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Of the tires suggested, I'd pick the RE71R. Decent grip and acceptable wear and reasonable price. I ran them on my GT4 as track tires before switching to Hoosiers. You want to max front camber but there's not a lot to be found with the OEM system. A compromise would be adding front camber plates which would add about 1 degree. There's no caster adjustment without aftermarket parts although some camber plates include this adjustment. I like 0 front toe for a street/track car..
Old 03-19-2018, 10:21 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Of the tires suggested, I'd pick the RE71R. Decent grip and acceptable wear and reasonable price. I ran them on my GT4 as track tires before switching to Hoosiers. You want to max front camber but there's not a lot to be found with the OEM system. A compromise would be adding front camber plates which would add about 1 degree. There's no caster adjustment without aftermarket parts although some camber plates include this adjustment. I like 0 front toe for a street/track car..
+1 on Bridgestone RE-71Rs. I ran them on my Lotus as well as my 996 before going to slicks. They are excellent on the track and they grip until they cord and don't get too greasy when really hot out.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DE alignment

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
You want to max front camber but there's not a lot to be found with the OEM system. A compromise would be adding front camber plates which would add about 1 degree. There's no caster adjustment without aftermarket parts although some camber plates include this adjustment. I like 0 front toe for a street/track car..
I have the same question as the OP except I have a 991 911 GTS. I would max out the camber with the OEM system and you suggest zero front toe. What about rear toe? Is that adjustable or is the stock setting good? The front toe setting you suggest would help reduce understeer but we reduce the rear toe will it begin to make the car oversteer?
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

On my 997.2 cars I ran the Yoko AD08R and on the street and autocross it was fantastic. I did a track day with it but my 18" wheels with Nitto NT01 were much faster. I hear great things about the RE71R now and it is probably more advanced than the older AD08R Yoko tire.

If you get a set of 18" wheels..FYI...Nitto NT01 245/40/18 fronts and 305/35/18 rears are the same overall diameter as the stock 235/305 19's...so you won't have any ABS or PSM issues. Ran this size for years and years with great success.

As far as alignment....with 997 cars you want more front camber than rear. However on stock none adjustable lower control arms all you can get on Carrera S cars with PASM is around -1.2 or maybe.3....with Sport PASM you might see -1.4 front.

So with that in mind....I'd go max front camber you can get and make it close to the same in the rear. If you decide to put on GT3 Lower front control arms then you can got more front camber. Rule of thumb starting for 997 cars on street tires and/or DOT R Compound Street Tires is -2.5 front zero toe per side and -2 rear 2mm toe in per side. I used this for years and had no bad effects on the street either. This alignment can change a little depending on your driving style, tires and tire pressure and the track or tracks you run on. On the lesser side of this spec you can run -2 front and -1.5 rear same toe specs and be really fast and run street or R-Comp tires with no bad effects or the track or street.

Have fun!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
I have the same question as the OP except I have a 991 911 GTS. I would max out the camber with the OEM system and you suggest zero front toe. What about rear toe? Is that adjustable or is the stock setting good? The front toe setting you suggest would help reduce understeer but we reduce the rear toe will it begin to make the car oversteer?
Thanks.
991 cars are totally different and normally do not need as much camber as 996 and 997 cars. My 2017 GTS is running stock 20" sizes on Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires with -1.5 front and rear. Tire wear is really about even. I do have rear steering so that helps rear tire wear and I need a little less toe in on rear.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:22 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks.
I don't know 991 suspension but generally you do not want to reduce rear toe. Oversteer is one issue, on some cars rear stability under hard braking is an issue.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:11 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

PS4S wears really well; it's decent in rain, and is a great learning tool (I thought), very linear, easy to control behavior. I ran them for 15 track days last season, novice level, and looks like they still have some life left. Grip is definitely limited but with hot pressures around mid 30s they don't get that greasy. If you have extensive experience from your previous HPDE life they might not cut it; they're definitely slower than a RE71 or Cup2 but they're much more compliant on the street.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:40 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Can’t speak for the OP, but I’m grateful for the recommendations - thanks!

On the tire front, the Hankook R-S4 looks interesting for longevity reasons based on https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ison-nyst.html

Karl.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:49 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 991 Alignment

Originally Posted by mdrums
991 cars are totally different and normally do not need as much camber as 996 and 997 cars. My 2017 GTS is running stock 20" sizes on Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires with -1.5 front and rear. Tire wear is really about even. I do have rear steering so that helps rear tire wear and I need a little less toe in on rear.
Where you able to get -1.5 f/r camber from the stock suspension? Did you leave the front toe within the stock parameters? My car is still wearing the stock P-zeros.
Thanks.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:35 PM
Davito
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can somebody chime in on the road noise of the RE-71R for street use? I have them on my track car but is gutted so I can't compare. Right now I have MPSS on my 991.1 and the difference on grip is significant.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:30 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Old 03-21-2018, 12:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Where you able to get -1.5 f/r camber from the stock suspension? Did you leave the front toe within the stock parameters? My car is still wearing the stock P-zeros.
Thanks.
pulled the top of the shock towers all the way in. I have the lower Sport PASM so it will got to -1.5 degrees. Any more and I would need gt3 adjustable lower control arms.

front toe is at zero which in in stock specs.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:40 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

I found the Michelins to be a good compromise between track and street use. They have decent grip and provide good feedback on the track and are relatively quiet on the highway.

As for alignment and setup, particularly since this car is new to you, I would recommend driving the car on track as it is in order to get a baseline and THEN target your alignment based on a known issue you want to fix (i.e. excessive understeer, braking stability, etc.).

Quick Reply: Stock 997.2 S tire and alignment recommendations