Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of tracking a Radical vs Spec Miata vs Spec Boxter

Old 03-14-2018, 05:21 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Noticed the OP said "tracking" not racing. If you're just doing track events and some TT it opens up your options a lot more and I wouldn't limit yourself to spec classes and rules.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:07 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by fabe32
Thinking about tracking a dedicated car and budgeting.
For those who own a Radical SR3 or the above spec cars, how expensive is it to track them ?
Exploring options here.
Thanks
hey fabe32, I’m in the SF Bay area and race SPB’s, and know a bunch of guys who race SM’s. PM if you want to discuss. Both have their benefits. Good place to start is ask yourself if you’re a NASA guy or prefer Porsches.

Tim
Old 03-14-2018, 07:37 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you considered an NP01? Not sure what your budget is, but in terms of recurring costs it was my understanding they are similar to the SPM/SPB. I think there is a couple owners who occasionally visit this forum and a facebook group who could provide first hand experience.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 PM
fabe32
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BillNye
Have you considered an NP01? Not sure what your budget is, but in terms of recurring costs it was my understanding they are similar to the SPM/SPB. I think there is a couple owners who occasionally visit this forum and a facebook group who could provide first hand experience.
Yes definitely looking at the Elan NP01 as well. Closed cockpit is probably safer as well...
Looking at the initial acquisition cost, a new Elan NP01 is about $87K built by Elan and $77K as a kit.
There are a few used ones on racing junk for $74K to $79K, am I missing something here, they seem expensive for being used !?
A new Radical SR3 is in the range of $100K and you can find used ones in the range of $35k to $90K.
A new MX-5 Global cup is $59K and $76K with the new sequential gearbox.
A SPM is $15k to $25k
A SPB is $35K ish
Hmm, so many options
You guys know what shop has any experience on the NP01 in the SFBay area ?
Thanks to you all.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:26 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

The SM is a blast to race. Large fields, regardless of your experience level there is always someone to race, and once you start moving up the pack you will face stiff competition from very capable drivers. It is a tremendous learning tool. Parts are cheap, as noted above. And when you need small replacement parts Mazda sells them direct to you at a discount. Imagine that from PMNA!

SM is not much fun to track on a DE day. Overall they are one of the slowest cars on track. They are very fast in the corners however and if you over slow the car it ruins the lap. In a DE environment seems there is always someone slow in the corners so you get segments, not good laps. Get ready to hang your arm out the window for others to pass you.

For DE would look at one of the other options listed.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes definitely looking at the Elan NP01 as well. Closed cockpit is probably safer as well...
Looking at the initial acquisition cost, a new Elan NP01 is about $87K built by Elan and $77K as a kit.
There are a few used ones on racing junk for $74K to $79K, am I missing something here, they seem expensive for being used !?
A new Radical SR3 is in the range of $100K and you can find used ones in the range of $35k to $90K.
A SPM is $15k to $25k
A SPB is $35K ish
Hmm, so many options
Thanks to you all.
The car is a bit expensive and not much less as only a kit of parts, especially if you get the ST1 pkg and a few upgrades. The used prices are pretty nuts. Can't have but a couple seasons on them.
From the spreadsheets i've seen, running costs looked much closer to SPM/SPB Check out here https://www.facebook.com/groups/elan.np01/
I'd love to self-build my own one day.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:23 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37

Don’t ruin my illusions just yet, I haven’t even finished the car! Lol 😁
With no shop support and fresh tires for each race I think using $2-3k per race is a reasonable average to run for a season. Matt runs at 115%, can't go by him!
Tires every race (use the least fresh for practice days and DE but they will still be "good" when tossed and it hurts..), brake pads every 2-5 events depending on your driving style, transmission once per season at least, engine refresh once a season to be sure it's 100%.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:09 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Thinking about tracking a dedicated car and budgeting.
For those who own a Radical SR3 or the above spec cars, how expensive is it to track them ?
Exploring options here.
Thanks
My question to you is about your level of experience, not budget. Budget aside (since there's just a wee bit of difference in cost & running a Spec Miata vs. a Radical), there is a world of performance difference between a SM and an SR3 - they're not even on the same planet. I'm surprised one would think of those two as an "either/or". If you're new to tracking or have limited experience, a SM is a great learning tool while an SR3 is probably getting in over your head. If you're experienced, then go with what you can afford and with what you want.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
With SPB to be competitive you essentially just make weight and use the go fast bits allowed in the rules.

For SPB I hear estimates on the order of $1k per race weekend but there is a lot of variation due to questions like how fresh you keep your tires.
Ha ha ha.... NOT.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:07 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Ha ha ha.... NOT.
Maybe this has to do with accounting then...

Greg Holmberg’s survey was the most extensive I’ve heard of and he came up with $1100 per race weekend but he had some limits on what he did and didn’t include. For instance, data, crash damage, travel, and towing were not included. His stated target was a nationals competitive SPB. Perhaps those giving feedback here didn’t respond then and had better data. (And I mean that honestly not facetiously)

https://rennlist.com/forums/spec-box...nal-costs.html
Old 03-16-2018, 12:42 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

A SPM is $15k to $25k
A SPB is $35K ish
Hmm, so many options
Thanks to you all.
Used Global MX-5 Cups pop up for sale, and can be a great buy. The hardtop has been available now for a while, and is a great addition to the car if the open cockpit doesn’t suit you. Consumables are not too bad, particularly if you don’t mind running scrubs and have access to them from one of the Battery Tender teams.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:53 AM
fabe32
Instructor

Originally Posted by David993S
My question to you is about your level of experience, not budget. Budget aside (since there's just a wee bit of difference in cost & running a Spec Miata vs. a Radical), there is a world of performance difference between a SM and an SR3 - they're not even on the same planet. I'm surprised one would think of those two as an "either/or". If you're new to tracking or have limited experience, a SM is a great learning tool while an SR3 is probably getting in over your head. If you're experienced, then go with what you can afford and with what you want.
Well, that's exactly why I am asking for RListers to chime in.
I have no doubt SM is a great learning tool and yes I am a beginner (2min 5 sec at Thill first time ever on track, gt3 991.1 and moved up 3 groups on my first DE) very humble and trying to soak in all the info available.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:01 AM
fabe32
Instructor

Well, that's exactly why I am asking for RListers to chime in.
I have no doubt SM is a great learning tool and yes I am a beginner (2min 5 sec at Thill first time ever on track, gt3 991.1 and moved up 3 groups on my first DE) very humble and trying to soak in all the info available.
Btw, looking seriously into karting. No shame here. They can be so fast and so physical.
Shifter kart vs SPM vs SPB vs Global cup MX-5 vs Elan vs Radical SR3 vs "my" GT3.
First world problem, I know...
Old 03-16-2018, 01:17 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are a beginner I would not recommend getting a Radical. You will learn a lot more with a car that can be driven at the limit at lower speeds where the consequences for a mistake are not as high. A lightweight high downforce car with slicks is a great way to refine advanced driving skills but a bad way to develop basic skills.

Charley
Old 03-16-2018, 11:07 AM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I went with a Radical over a SM or SPB; more performance for less cost. Although I don't have extensive track experience in a car (~ 5 days / year for the last few years), I've raced motorcycles for the last 10+ years (6 years of asphalt) and raced an average of 10 weekends/year + trackdays. In that experience I raced a number of style of bikes, from a few times on a liter bike, couple of years on 600's and more recently on lighter weight GP-esque bikes with high corner speed and limited braking.

From that experience, the Radical seemed a better fit. My plan is to race my motorcycle program this year while getting in a number of track days in the Radical and then transition over to testing the waters racing on 4 wheels. The SM class obviously offered more racing opportunities, but didn't fit what I wanted to get out of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cost of tracking a Radical vs Spec Miata vs Spec Boxter