Sponsored by:

Race Glove Recommendation Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Race Glove Recommendation Needed

I started to track at the end of last year and so I am a total rookie. Just to get an idea of experience, I run with Blue/Blue Solo in the PCA and the two other local schools and HPDE3 with NASA. This last weekend was the first time driving when it is warmer out and my sweaty hands are having a really tough time gripping the steering wheel. Between the sweaty hands and only having a 3 point harness, I find myself having to really choke the steering wheel in some corners even with high treadwear street tires. I tried on my friend's gloves to see how it would feel but noticed that they were rather bulky/thick, I believe they are Simpsons. Are there options for thinner and lighter gloves out there? I've been looking at the Alpinestar 1-ZX and OMP One Evos.

Since my hands are the only thing connected to the car that tells it where to go, I consider it a safety item and don't mind paying for a nice pair of gloves. I don't have anywhere I can go to try on a bunch of them so I am hoping some RL'ers can help me out! My problem is that my track car is a BMW m240i that has a thick padded steering wheel. I don't want gloves that are too bulky or thick where I would lose too much feedback from the steering wheel. But again, I am very new to this so maybe I have no idea what I am talking about and the bulkiness is normal and useful.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:56 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

These gloves are not thin and not cheap, but I really like Sparco Tide. Excellent grip under just about any condition.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:35 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Sparco Tide
Old 03-12-2018, 02:50 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A bit off topic, but your hands are NOT the only things telling the car where to go. Your feet have a lot to say about it too.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Feet too, very true, I probably could've worded that better. Replace the word car with steering wheel... I am still wearing driving loafers so shoes might be a chat for another day

Two votes for Sparco Tides back to back!

Bill mentioned that the Tides aren't very thin. Does the thickness and damping of the vibrations in the steering wheel impact the connection and feel to the car in any negative way?
Old 03-12-2018, 04:16 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Gloves feel weird for about a session and a half and then you'll feel naked without them.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_and
Feet too, very true, I probably could've worded that better. Replace the word car with steering wheel... I am still wearing driving loafers so shoes might be a chat for another day

Two votes for Sparco Tides back to back!

Bill mentioned that the Tides aren't very thin. Does the thickness and damping of the vibrations in the steering wheel impact the connection and feel to the car in any negative way?
Not in my opinion with the Tides. They give superb grip of the wheel and as a result help you to loosen your hand a bit, which in turn provides you with better sensitivity. I'm sure there are other gloves that work as well, but once I tried the Tide's I never looked back.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:10 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for Sparco Tide - they kick ***!!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:31 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Sparco Tide, period.

Oh, and steer the car with your feet
Old 03-12-2018, 08:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Bright ones so passing cars can see your point by earlier and more easily in all conditions.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Leecw
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Red Sparco Tide - simply the best
Old 03-12-2018, 08:47 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

On a track at race speeds I would feel completely out of place without race gloves. For me, the mental game is important. Prep car, study track. attend drivers meeting, walk track... Drive smooth and fast.

Helmet on, belts on, warm car, gloves on, head to grid. Mental focus. Like suiting up for a game the gear helps me get focused on the task at hand. Gloves for me mean I am pushing the car to its limits. Mental focus.

Hot weather or cold I like the feel of the glove on the wheel. Once you get used to them you will not go back.

I have three different pairs and use varies depending on event and weather.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:11 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I use and like these FreeM Senso gloves.
http://www.freemracing.it/product/senso-016/?lang=en
Old 03-13-2018, 06:25 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_and
Between the sweaty hands and only having a 3 point harness, I find myself having to really choke the steering wheel in some corners even with high treadwear street tires.
Along with the gloves I would recommend installing a CG Lock on your 3 point harness to keep your butt planted a bit better...
Old 03-13-2018, 06:29 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I use and like these FreeM Senso gloves.
http://www.freemracing.it/product/senso-016/?lang=en
These babies were MADE for point-by's!!

Quick Reply: Race Glove Recommendation Needed