Sponsored by:

Turn 1 St Petersburg

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:56 PM
Troutman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turn 1 St Petersburg

Who's at fault? Would definitely be a 13/13 under PCA rules....

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/14...e-st-pete-move
Old 03-12-2018, 01:25 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

The car that tucked in tight on the corner knew the risks..... he drafted his way to the inside for that corner but he didnt "own" the corner. He also couldnt hold that tight of line and as result hit the other car. Had he been able to hold that line, everything would have been fine.
The car on the outside stayed on his line and gave sufficent room. He never really closed the door on the other car but he never gave any additional room for him either.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:58 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

inside is at fault

at :05 you can see that the rear of the inside car stepped out significantly and he had to full lock counter steer to control it which caused him to slide into the outside car.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Like MarcD147 said. Rossi had lost control of the car going in. Wickens left a car width and maintained control of his car. Rossi did not...\

In this screenshot, you can see that Rossi is FULL STEERING LOCK LEFT, so he was already done. Damn shame he took Wickens out.

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-12-2018, 06:50 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Really high risk, low yield move.

Wickens had driven a great race, deserved the win.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:44 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

seemed like the inside car understeered badly, maybe being upset by the turtles, even before he reverse locked. just my opin. either way low percentage move....
Old 03-12-2018, 10:36 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Not sticking up for Rossi too much, as it was an optimistic move and Wickens clearly deserved the win...but Dixon and (I believe) Rahal also had very similar episodes braking into T1. There was obviously less grip off-line, but apparently the paint markings on the runway were especially slick this year and the new aerokit is much less stable under braking.

Anyhow, my point is that if the Iceman himself messed it up, everyone else gets cut at least a little bit of slack. And it was for the win
Old 03-12-2018, 10:43 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to appear.

This ain't PCA racing. This is a professional race series. With just a couple of laps to go, Rossi gets a run on Wickens, and HAS to go for the pass. His execution was sloppy but was not a bonsai. I'm sure Rossi would have liked a clean pass and not taken out Wickens, but he couldn't get it done.

I'm sure the roles will be reversed at some point during the season. Wickens knows how to drive in the ultra aggressive DTM series. I think we'll see this guy at the front again.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:50 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:32 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
Initial glance seems like it's Rossi's fault, however based on Indy rules it seems Wickens actions constituted illegal blocking. His initial move inside was a reaction to Rossi's move, apparently not allowed in Indycar (IIRC in F1 you can change direction once).

It's pretty obvious from the footage alone that the move was a reaction, and this comment makes it pretty clear that Wickens' move wasn't preemptive: he recognized his lack of defense and reacted after Rossi moved, but then backed off in fear of a penalty.
Did you watch the same race?

Did you know that IndyCar #u(ked up and DIDN'T TURN THE PACE CAR LIGHTS OFF, to indicate to those behind that they were going into the pits?

NO WONDER THE CONFUSION!

So. Many. More. Things. Wrong. Than just what the video shows...
Old 03-13-2018, 12:46 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

I also think though that regardless of the circumstances (pace car lights issue etc), it was obvious that Rossi was going to be ahead at the turn in, and Wickens could have left more room on the inside...He (wickens) ‘purposefully squeezed Rossi/defended the the corner (DTM style)’!!! It is just another perspective on it
Old 03-14-2018, 01:13 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
I also think though that regardless of the circumstances (pace car lights issue etc), it was obvious that Rossi was going to be ahead at the turn in, and Wickens could have left more room on the inside...He (wickens) ‘purposefully squeezed Rossi/defended the the corner (DTM style)’!!! It is just another perspective on it
He gave room and stayed on his line.
The car on the inside couldnt hold his line and ended up needing more room and caused the accident.

Perhaps the car on the outside could have given more room (and give up position) to protect himself seeing as it knocked him out of the race completely.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
He gave room and stayed on his line.
The car on the inside couldnt hold his line and ended up needing more room and caused the accident.

Perhaps the car on the outside could have given more room (and give up position) to protect himself seeing as it knocked him out of the race completely.
Correct.

Should he have HAD to yield, to avoid being hit? THAT is the real question...
Old 03-14-2018, 01:30 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

It would seem odd to me that a driver MUST alter his line to accommodate a driver who has lost control of his car. If Rossi was under control and contact occurred I could see an argument.

But if Rossi had control of his car contact wouldn't have occurred and that seems like having done enough.

But once you lose control of your car doing something that can't be done it seems equitable to me that you bear the result of whatever happens next.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:34 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 524 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
This ain't PCA racing. This is a professional race series. With just a couple of laps to go, Rossi gets a run on Wickens, and HAS to go for the pass. His execution was sloppy but was not a bonsai. I'm sure Rossi would have liked a clean pass and not taken out Wickens, but he couldn't get it done.
Youre right, this ain't PCA racing...this is professional, so the drivers should know better as to what they can do and what they can't.
Yes, Rossi had to go for the pass, but that doesn't excuse him from fault. He screwed up. He lost control of the car and took Wickens out. He is at fault (look at ProCoach's picture...even through the turn Rossi still did not have position on Wickens).

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
Initial glance seems like it's Rossi's fault, however based on Indy rules it seems Wickens actions constituted illegal blocking. His initial move inside was a reaction to Rossi's move, apparently not allowed in Indycar (IIRC in F1 you can change direction once).

It's pretty obvious from the footage alone that the move was a reaction, and this comment makes it pretty clear that Wickens' move wasn't preemptive: he recognized his lack of defense and reacted after Rossi moved, but then backed off in fear of a penalty. If he had been proactively driving a defensive line, there would've been no reason to think he was blocking. Doesn't excuse Rossi for running out of grip causing a collision, however Wickens is not absent from fault. Perhaps this is why no penalties were issued.
According to the announcers, you can do one move and must maintain that line...which Wickens did. In fact, he even moved AWAY a little bit to avoid Rossi.
Wickens left racing room and maintained control, Rossi lost control of his car. I'm disappointed no penalty was issued.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Quick Reply: Turn 1 St Petersburg