Sponsored by:

944 based chassis alterations

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 01:23 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 944 based chassis alterations

For those of you with 944 based race cars, could you give me a little insight on removal of the spare tire well (it appears that the straps for the fuel tank will have to be re-anchored for one thing) and possibly suggest other cutting-wheel actuated chassis modifications that are advisable if your trying to pare as much weight as possible? The inner door panels and side intrusion bars are already gone.
TIA
Old 12-27-2003, 07:28 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Russ;

You are quite correct on one side. The fuel tank strap hangers are indeed attached to the floor (left) and tire well (right). You will have to come up with some way to relocate those hangers. What you also need to consider is that the floor is also what the tank is trapped against, so you need to come up with something for the straps to trap the tank against.

Man, is it easy to drop the trans with that tire well out of the way, not to mention taking out or working on the tank when there is no floor!

www.redlinerennsport.com
Old 12-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,
so you're suggesting removing the entire "floor" of the cargo area? Hmmm. Doesn't the floor function as a shear panel (I think that's what you call it) to stiffen the rear frame rails? Access to the tranny is certainly improved.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:05 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Russ...

I didn't say that. I did it, but there is more involved than just cutting, as you surmized, and I alluded to. I suppose there is some stiffness added by the floor, but I don't think it is that great in the sense that you are thinking.

The suspension loads are torsional in nature (twisting the unibody) as the shock/t-bar/spring load is transmitted into the frame vertically, and the flat sheetmetal floor would only add significant strength entirely in a horizontal fashion, as when some force tried to "diamond" the frame.

Besides, anyone cutting out floors has or is planning on some tubing to take up the slack.

http://www.redlinerennsport.com
This car weighs 1900lbs wet with a mild steel semi tube frame!

Quick Reply: 944 based chassis alterations