Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for those of you club racing, what all are you packing in your trailers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:48 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default for those of you club racing, what all are you packing in your trailers?

looking to build a new trailer, and I'm looking for ideas on things I may be overlooking. It will be a GN, 38-42 ft. enough for car/ taylor dunn cart etc. I've read through all the trailer threads, and have done a custom before, but I want to see if those of you who took the step into racing over DE, and self support, if you're bringing anything extra or unique with you. I realize this is a slippery slope as by the end of this exercise I can basically talk myself into needing a 53' hitech.

thanks!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:34 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

What car your racing.

basically put a list of common to uncommon spares......if it's a popular car like a Cayman most have alot of spares but....
think of specialty tools....distributors, suspension, radiators for water pumpers, vacuum systems....brake parts and axel/wheel bearing ......fluids galore, liquor galore, as you race more you realize the little parts that are so easy to being but can ruin a weekend if forgotten...or at least a day and overnight shipping charges.
Otherwise not too much different, the further away you go the more stuff you bring in case.
You can fit alot more than you think in a trailer.....i have a 26ft and am happy with the space
Old 03-09-2018, 10:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Financially and practically this makes no sense (I know this was not your question). Work with a good shop that supports other cars of the same type as yours, has the experience to maintain them, fix problems and has a pool of typical spares for them and maximize the amount of your track time during the weekend.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:08 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Financially and practically this makes no sense (I know this was not your question). Work with a good shop that supports other cars of the same type as yours, has the experience to maintain them, fix problems and has a pool of typical spares for them and maximize the amount of your track time during the weekend.
I'm new to this, but I'll second that. During my rookie weekend, I would've packed up and gone home after the test and tune on Thursday if not for my shop's track support...and that wasn't the only issue I had that weekend. I carry pads, rotors, an AOS, and a set of stickers and rains. That's about it.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:47 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

The better question in my case is “what aren’t you packing“?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:10 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Besides spare parts for your car -

Small compressor, quiet key start Honda generator, massive/stocked tool chest on castors, scooter(s), ceiling A/C, fans, helmet rack, folding tables, fixed cabinets with ss counters, LED lighting, stereo, big tv, laptop, large clothes hanging rack, chairs, lounge chairs, bbq, wheel chocks, 4 jacks, 4 jack stands, 3 air gauges, church keys, 4 coolers (1 really big), 2 drivers suits, 5 pair driving gloves, 3 pair driving shoes, duffle of shirts/jeans/underwear/jackets/etc, work gloves, latex gloves, brake bleeder, tents, hand cleaner, curved wedge thingy to roll trailer up on when get a flat, heavy duty battery charger on wheels, 10 fuel jugs, funnels, oil catcher pan, zip ties, extension cords, power strips, 2 impact guns, breaker bars, 4 sets wheels for car, 3 mounted spares for trailer, 8 sets ratchet strap sets, 8 sets mini ratchet strap sets, bungies, push cart/dollie...
plus cases of: duct tape, oil, brake clean, microfibre towels, rags, paper towels, brake fluid, brake pads, windex, wd40.

hmmm, PayPal me $100.00 please and I go into my trailer and figure out the rest of what I missed.

Last edited by GT3DE; 03-10-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:18 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Get a shop to run the car and buy a RV!
Old 03-10-2018, 08:13 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Problem with not having your own trailer is that you are captive to the whims, fuch ups and pricing of the shop(s).
Old 03-10-2018, 08:24 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
^^^^ This!
Old 03-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer

Get a shop to run store/fix/support the car and stay in a nice hotel, show up refreshed and relaxed and go drive...... don't buy anything.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:10 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suspect that if you'd posted this in the truck and trailer subforum ( https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-and-trailers-239/ ), you would have had way more detail on what is actually in most trailers!
Old 03-10-2018, 09:39 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

It's really not an easy question. My personal car I fit everything I need in the car on an open trailer. For the race team, we have a 48 foot 4 car hauler that has 2 cars, an engine, transmissions, drive shafts, shocks, spare engine, and almost everything you could think of and we still end up buying parts at the track.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:48 AM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I self support and enjoy it. But then again, I enjoy all of the mechanical aspects and data analytics of car. We just got back from COTA, had a blast (GTC4, #25). Two tanks of nitrogen, spare rotors/pads, throttle cables, belts, plugs. I have a full roll on tool box that has everything to work on the car. Drum of fuel/pump, enclosed generator, TV monitor for computer display, 3 large furniture blankets, 3 sets of wheels, two slicks, one rain. I could go on with more details, but it has worked for many years. Like Matt said, hard to answer, but I would not be afraid to self support if you enjoy the extra effort.

Last edited by tedean; 03-10-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: .
Old 03-10-2018, 10:46 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Everyone here knows this...to self-support, you need more spare time. away from work, before and after the event. I couldn’t do it any longer so I went with a shop!
Old 03-10-2018, 11:13 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of us like supporting and working on our cars even if we can afford "shop" support. I personally love showing up in my trailer, unloading, wrenching, then beating the snot out of the guys with shop support and crews, loading up, and driving off with a great sense of accomplishment.

Quick Reply: for those of you club racing, what all are you packing in your trailers?