Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Race TPMS Data

I thought folks might like to see what the data from a race TPMS system gives you. It gives you lots of data on how fast and when a tire builds pressure, internal air temp (to allow you to actually calculate pressure build/volume), and to determine what the optimal tire pressure is for maximum grip and driver feel. In April I'll be able to couple this with full IR tire temp data that I can share to show just how a tire builds pressure as the tire surface and internal temp build. Very cool stuff!

This system is a little different than many in that it goes on the valve stem rather than replacing it. Very quick to install, service (when needed) and it doesn't risk damage when changing tires.

Tire pressure and temp data.

TPMS sensor on a valve stem.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

As always - cool stuff Matt! Please keep us posted.

I run an internal TPMS system that displays pressures live in the cockpit. I am using the external ones on my trailer. The external ones should be really only used with metal valve stems because with the rubber ones, they move around quite a bit. My recent experience is that these internal TPMS sensors were not made for the heat that you are encounter on the front wheels of a race car. I have been melting my valve O rings and the vales started leaking air. We are currently working on a fix for that.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What color o ring on the valve stem?
Old 03-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
As always - cool stuff Matt! Please keep us posted.

I run an internal TPMS system that displays pressures live in the cockpit. I am using the external ones on my trailer. The external ones should be really only used with metal valve stems because with the rubber ones, they move around quite a bit. My recent experience is that these internal TPMS sensors were not made for the heat that you are encounter on the front wheels of a race car. I have been melting my valve O rings and the vales started leaking air. We are currently working on a fix for that.
There are 3 or 4 companies that make the systems with internal sensors. Some have temperature problems. These are good good far north of 400F.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Not had an issue with the Beru, bf1 or Stack systems.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not had an issue with the Beru, bf1 or Stack systems.
They all have weak points that don't always show up in all applications.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

SO I ran the externals all last year and loved it. So much so all my wheels were balanced with the valve caps on to compensate for them. The problem with the externals was two-fold. 1. They just got so damn hot it made it really tough to do any type of quick pressure checks/adjustments and 2. That little rubber grommet used to create a tight seal inside the TPMS end cap just melts and you get the slow leak syndrome similar to what Frank was describing with the internal unit.

On the internal unit however, there is a reason Peter has probably had success with the units he has. The difference is in Snap in vs Clamp in style valve stems. The problem is evident in this picture.

So what we learned through Frank because we are both moving to internals at the same time is that you need a Snap in style sensor. That is unless anyone knows of a high temp grommet to use...

So you have two options, use a stock valve stem or something of the likes on the sensor body or get a specific set like this where you can specify snap in vs clamp in style. Fortunately they are 433 Mhz so any TPMS system with a learn capability in North America should work with them.
https://www.amazon.com/DPAccessories-4CIMM-E8710A6-Pressure-Sensors-Silver/dp/B076JWRGCQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520003121&sr=8-4&keywords=clamp%20in%20TPMS https://www.amazon.com/DPAccessories-4CIMM-E8710A6-Pressure-Sensors-Silver/dp/B076JWRGCQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520003121&sr=8-4&keywords=clamp%20in%20TPMS

I'm really interested into how you got that TPMS data into AiM though!!!! Very cool!

-Paul
Old 03-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It goes CAN2 into the AiM system.

These have made it through well over 400 degrees without trouble. They have seen use at Martinsville and lives to tell. That's the place where they have set tires on fire from the brake heat.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Which system is that you are using Matt? Thiss is so above my knowledge level but I'll ask anyway LOL.
Are you using some sort of receiver like the Brightwater to get the data via CAN? I've always wondered why this data couldn't be read from a Porsche OE TPMS system... This will all get so much easier once SDV becomes mainstream
Old 03-05-2018, 07:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Which system is that you are using Matt? Thiss is so above my knowledge level but I'll ask anyway LOL.
Are you using some sort of receiver like the Brightwater to get the data via CAN? I've always wondered why this data couldn't be read from a Porsche OE TPMS system... This will all get so much easier once SDV becomes mainstream
This one is custom made. Some components, like the sensor housing, is from a cheap kit to keep the cost of manufacture down, but then the sensors and electronics in it are replaced. The CAN protocol and electronics in the receiver are custom.

It is a little frustrating that the stock systems don't communicate the TPMS info well. For the right people, it's not hard to do the electronics (I'm not one of them!). This system is a terrific value and works really well for people. As you know since you have a system, they give some great data and insight into how the tire works. Add in a little math (PV=nRT) and you'll be way better at setting tire pressures.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:55 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
This one is custom made. Some components, like the sensor housing, is from a cheap kit to keep the cost of manufacture down, but then the sensors and electronics in it are replaced. The CAN protocol and electronics in the receiver are custom.

It is a little frustrating that the stock systems don't communicate the TPMS info well. For the right people, it's not hard to do the electronics (I'm not one of them!). This system is a terrific value and works really well for people. As you know since you have a system, they give some great data and insight into how the tire works. Add in a little math (PV=nRT) and you'll be way better at setting tire pressures.
I don’t have the ability to log tire pressures but it is invaluable information to see the actual pressures live. I would love to have both live and logging capability at a reasonable cost.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

These are $1,800, so much more reasonable than other systems. Full CAN communication, Bluetooth phone app, and replaceable batteries in the sensors. You can also have more sensors for multiple sets of wheels.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A bump for some more data, this time with all the details. This is from my car today.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:39 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
I've always wondered why this data couldn't be read from a Porsche OE TPMS system...
In the GT4 street car I can tell you that the OE TPMS system does provide pressure and temperature values -- those are in messages on the CAN DISPLAY/MMI bus. I have logged those on the C125 I have in the car. It's not as satisfying as what Matt's example shows though -- the sample rate is apparently very slow so the values move in pretty large step functions. The temperature values are interesting but they represent the temp of the air in the tire rather than temperature of the tire carcass which would have been more useful -- perhaps that's why the MFD only shows the pressures even though the car has the temperature values too.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by boxer-11
In the GT4 street car I can tell you that the OE TPMS system does provide pressure and temperature values -- those are in messages on the CAN DISPLAY/MMI bus. I have logged those on the C125 I have in the car. It's not as satisfying as what Matt's example shows though -- the sample rate is apparently very slow so the values move in pretty large step functions. The temperature values are interesting but they represent the temp of the air in the tire rather than temperature of the tire carcass which would have been more useful -- perhaps that's why the MFD only shows the pressures even though the car has the temperature values too.
Very cool. The internal temps are also really important. That is what lets you predict pressure gain. PV=nRT Ideal gas law, just like Deflate Gate. If you know the hot temp, cold temp, and desired hot pressure, you can calculate your starting temp.For anyone that uses heating blankets, this is critical.

Quick Reply: Race TPMS Data