Sponsored by:

Buying new air compressor - input appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 05:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Buying new air compressor - input appreciated

I currently use a 30-gallon Husky electric compressor to power my air tools and a Ranger tire press. The compressor is loud and frequently on when I am using the bead breaker or doing any prolonged air tool stuff (like grinding).

I am looking for a larger compressor and one that is quieter! I can run 220. Ingersoll-Rand has an 80 gallon model for about $1600. I don't mind paying for quieter and longer lasting quality.

Any ideas????
Old 03-02-2018, 07:41 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All of this is assuming that you're looking to put this in a home-shop where you wont be running the compressor all-day every-day with multiple people using air tools at once.

I can't speak to the quality, but Eastwood just came out with this a few months ago and it looks SWEEEET. Typically scroll compressors are reserved for industrial use (The next cheapest I've seen is $5k++) or very specific niches (dentist office) so this is an entirely new market for one with these sort of specs.
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-qs...ompressor.html

Otherwise, as you may have seen, https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com seems to offer a large selection and good prices. My friend purchased his Quincy brand (made in USA if that sort of thing is important to you) through them and was pleased with both the retailer and the brand.
This one looks particularly interesting too.
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p81918.html

My dad has a Delta brand (may not exist anymore) 80gal that hasn't given him any trouble in 15yrs, but it doesn't even see daily use.

Not sure if your Husky is oil-less or not, but oil-less are obnoxiously loud and screeeeech badly. A "large" lubricated compressor thats usually on 80 gal sizes tanks will still be loud, but much less ear piercing. 2 stage will be quieter than a single stage as well. And (obviously) because they refill faster and stay filled longer it's on less frequently.
That California air tools seems to be fundamentally different than most oil-less compressors and is an exception to the above. It is less common to see a typical oil-less that is larger than 30gal though.

As far as other specs go, shoot for a minimum of 10SCFM @ 90psi. Max PSI doesn't really matter if you aren't going to be "plumbing" to anything or have some sort of industrial machine that requires a higher pressure as you'll likely regulate it down to 100ish PSI for most air tools. A larger tank is definitely better, but I'd probably try to find a 60gal with a higher flow rate than a 80gal.

Last edited by BillNye; 03-02-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BillNye
All of this is assuming that you're looking to put this in a home-shop where you wont be running the compressor all-day every-day with multiple using air tools at ones.

I can't speak to the quality, but Eastwood just came out with this a few months ago and it looks SWEEEET.
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-qs...ompressor.html

Otherwise, as you may have seen, https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com seems to offer a large selection and good prices. My friend purchased his Quincy brand (made in USA if that sort of thing is important to you) through them and was pleased with both the retailer and the brand.
This one looks particularly interesting too.
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p81918.html

My dad has a Delta brand (may not exist anymore) 80gal that hasn't given him any trouble in 15yrs, but it doesn't even see daily use.

Not sure if your Husky is oil-less or not, but oil-less are obnoxiously loud and screeeeech badly. A "large" lubricated compressor thats usually on 80 gal sizes tanks will still be loud, but much less ear piercing. 2 stage will be quieter than a single stage as well. And (obviously) because they refill faster and stay filled longer it's on less frequently.
That California air tools seems to be fundamentally different than most oil-less compressors and is an exception to the above. It is less common to see a typical oil-less that is larger than 30gal though.

As far as other specs go, shoot for a minimum of 10SCFM @ 90psi. Max PSI doesn't really matter if you aren't going to be "plumbing" to anything or have some sort of industrial machine that requires a higher pressure as you'll likely regulate it down to 100ish PSI for most air tools. A larger tank is definitely better, but I'd probably try to find a 60gal with a higher flow rate than a 80gal.
Wow, great! Thanks for the thoughtful response.
My Husky is oil less and LOUD.
The Eastwood device looks amazing but a newer technology makes me worry.
The California one looks like a work of art!
I've read other good things about Quincy.
I think I will go a little higher end and keep things quieter than what I currently have.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:27 PM
BillNye
Racer

Sorry, I edited my above post after you quoted it. To be clear, scroll compressors aren't "new", they've just never been made in consumer sizes. I suspect due to most consumer-prosumer grade products being a race to the bottom in terms of cost. But pretty much every other non-industrial compressor looks like it was cast using the same sand-molds they made in the 60s. Modern manufacturing processes likely have contributed to being able to make the scrolls cheaply enough to still turn a profit on a small compressor.
The air compressors direct site has some great buyers guides (for all types), you can see more about scroll compressors here. https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...ompressor.html
Old 03-02-2018, 08:32 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Rolair. Made in Wisconsin.

Local tool shop which supports most machine shops around here recommend them over Ingersol.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:41 PM
BillNye
Racer

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Rolair. Made in Wisconsin.

Local tool shop which supports most machine shops around here recommend them over Ingersol.
I should have mentioned it above too, I wouldn't recommend the Ingersoll. You're paying extra for the name. There is a few companies in addition to Rolair that are US manufactured and have been doing nothing but compressors for a long time. I assume any of them are equally good.
Edit: what do you know. http://usamadeproducts.biz/tools-pow...mpressors.html
Old 03-02-2018, 10:50 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

We just picked up a smaller California Air Tools 10020C for our trailer. It's very quiet.
It looks like the one mentioned above (https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p81918.html) is 2 motor/4 piston version of the 10020C
Old 03-02-2018, 11:30 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,369 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I currently use a 30-gallon Husky electric compressor to power my air tools and a Ranger tire press. The compressor is loud and frequently on when I am using the bead breaker or doing any prolonged air tool stuff (like grinding).

I am looking for a larger compressor and one that is quieter! I can run 220. Ingersoll-Rand has an 80 gallon model for about $1600. I don't mind paying for quieter and longer lasting quality.

Any ideas????

Old 03-03-2018, 09:49 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
You are always so much help! I'm thinking I can actually run 208-230 LOL.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:51 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Thanks again everyone. I'm going to research all of these options!
Old 03-03-2018, 10:55 AM
will968
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

You can also put it in another room or build an enclosure to keep the noise down.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:43 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some good information posted here. I especially like that Eastwood scroll.

A few more details you might want to consider before making your selection:

As you move up in tank size and horsepower, you also move up in weight. A good quality 80 gallon, two stage will weigh in excess of 500 lbs. So unless you plan to pay someone to move it from the delivery truck to the spot you have reserved in your garage, you better plan on having a pallet jack and a few friends at a minimum.
Many of the 5 hp motors require a 60 amp breaker and service. Unless you had your garage custom wired, you probably have 50 amps max on a 220v plug, something to keep in mind.

From what you have described as your needs, a Quincy single stage 60 gallon would be more than enough to meet everything except the reduced noise requirement. So that would leave the new California Air 4hp/60 gal as the most bang for the buck IMO. At 75 db it's not a scroll, but it's no where near as loud as what you have now.

Finally, I recommend against IR Compressors. They moved production to China about 15 years ago resulting in a precipitous drop in quality and reliability.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:54 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Dave, bite the bullet and move to a screw-type compressor and never look back....
Old 03-04-2018, 07:56 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 778 Likes on 506 Posts

We had a large screw compressor at the machine shop. Quiter than a double lung, but still plenty of noise and it was a different sort if noise. Don't expect them to be just quiet.

Also, seriously consider getting a dryer.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys!
I am going to limp along with my Husky so I can take my time and pull the trigger on something in a month.
My shop is a fairly think walled building so moving the compressor to the pother room won't do much unfortunately.
I really like the idea of the scroll type compressors with the noise reduction. I am really thinking about the Eastwood. My only hesitation is that it's a fairly new item from them and I've only found a handful of reviews on line. They have a warehouse in Pottstown PA,....maybe I could swing by after RA or VIR!

Quick Reply: Buying new air compressor - input appreciated