Sponsored by:

PCA Club Racing Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 04:07 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Default PCA Club Racing Insurance?

Lockton no longer offers racing insurance.

Is there a provider who does offer PCA Club Racing insurance?

I'm specifically referring to on-track insurance during Club Races -- not HPDE.

I might find the options prohibitive and end up self insuring -- but I wanted to check out my options.

thank you,

Mike Seningen
Old 02-26-2018, 06:13 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Lockton no longer offers racing insurance.

Is there a provider who does offer PCA Club Racing insurance?

I'm specifically referring to on-track insurance during Club Races -- not HPDE.

I might find the options prohibitive and end up self insuring -- but I wanted to check out my options.

thank you,

Mike Seningen
Here are two options:

Peter Sereda
Laurel Consulting Group
laurelcg@mnsi.net
519-355-5622

Motorsports Insurance Group
Call Mike Larson
(815) 725-6527
Old 02-26-2018, 06:21 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Here are two options:

Peter Sereda
Laurel Consulting Group
laurelcg@mnsi.net
519-355-5622

Motorsports Insurance Group
Call Mike Larson
(815) 725-6527

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2018, 12:45 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Can you actually get insurance for Club Racing?

I mean I know you can for DE/TT but find it hard to believe they would offer insurance for actual racing, and could only imagine what it would cost since the risks are so high in Club Racing.

For DE/TT I did not find it was worth it since the delectable is 10% value of your car which in my case would be $25K, and the cost of the insurance was roughly $2500 for one weekend so after 10 events that would add up to 25K, so with my math I figured if I don't do 50K worth of damage over the next 10 events I am ahead of the game.

Luckily I am way ahead of the game so far with 20+ events under my belt with no incidences.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:50 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by GT345

I mean I know you can for DE/TT but find it hard to believe they would offer insurance for actual racing, and could only imagine what it would cost since the risks are so high in Club Racing.
Yes - call the numbers above to get a quote. Of course it's expensive with high deductibles. These policies are available for amateur and pro racing. They are usually meant to cover a catastrophic event and exclude mechanical misuse. It's all a matter of your appetite for risk.

It also turns out that steel cars can be repaired much easier than aluminum bodied cars which need to be retubbed more often. I got a quote for a Clubsport for the 2017 PCA Season and it came to $18,000 with a $25,000 deductible. I think those premiums are much higher now based on actual 2017 season experience.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,509 Likes on 2,090 Posts

For DE/TT I did not find it was worth it since the delectable is 10% value of your car which in my case would be $25K, and the cost of the insurance was roughly $2500 for one weekend so after 10 events that would add up to 25K, so with my math I figured if I don't do 50K worth of damage over the next 10 events I am ahead of the game.

Luckily I am way ahead of the game so far with 20+ events under my belt with no incidences.
Saying that you're ahead of the game may be a little naive because the next event could cost you a quarter of a million dollars, not $50k...It just takes 1 incident, and it may not be your fault (fluid drop from car in front of you etc)... that's a lot of risk to assume. You should be comfortable with walking away from a totaled car if you put it on track.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:21 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by multi21
Saying that you're ahead of the game may be a little naive because the next event could cost you a quarter of a million dollars, not $50k...It just takes 1 incident, and it may not be your fault (fluid drop from car in front of you etc)... that's a lot of risk to assume. You should be comfortable with walking away from a totaled car if you put it on track.
Yes I do realize that was just making a point on the cost of insurance pros/cons.

Chances of me totaling the car at the tracks I go to are pretty slim though, most are not super fast with exception to California Speedway or Willow Springs, and most have flat dirt that you can go off into if needed which I have seen many cars do without much damage.

Plus I drive with my nannies on so that is the best insurance money can buy.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:32 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,509 Likes on 2,090 Posts

Yes I do realize that was just making a point on the cost of insurance pros/cons.

Chances of me totaling the car at the tracks I go to are pretty slim though, most are not super fast with exception to California Speedway or Willow Springs, and most have flat dirt that you can go off into if needed which I have seen many cars do without much damage.

Plus I drive with my nannies on so that is the best insurance money can buy.
The newest cars have unbelievable electronics and really do a lot for the driver to make him/her feel fast and comfortable right off the bat, but I'm sure you're aware that the nannies are not 100% and any fluid spills are going negate anything nannies can do. Don't underestimate the ability of a car to roll over once it goes sideways in dirt. I hope it never happens as that's a stunner of a car!
Old 02-28-2018, 01:39 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Costs associated with preparing the 981/991 cars really are markedly different than the 987/997 cars. I was frankly amazed at the cost when a buddy banged-up the corner of his 981 at a DE. Could buy a pretty nice SPB for the repair cost. I believe a fresh tub for a Clubsport is $45k with Porsche requiring evidence that the damaged tub is rendered inoperable before they will provide the new one (i.e. shop needs to cut it in half or whatnot).
Old 02-28-2018, 02:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Not to mention racing insurance is often required by teams for pro events where the driver does not own the car. This can be wrapped up in the “cost per weekend” rate the drivers are paying.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-28-2018, 02:45 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Yearly quote was ... ahem stiff...

$7250 premium, $6750 deductible per incident.

that's based on $45K SpecBoxster replacement cost.

One incident exceeds 25% of the cost of the car.

One event was $1825 w/o an enduro. ( I assume plus a/the deductible )

Mike
Old 03-01-2018, 12:05 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by multi21
The newest cars have unbelievable electronics and really do a lot for the driver to make him/her feel fast and comfortable right off the bat, but I'm sure you're aware that the nannies are not 100% and any fluid spills are going negate anything nannies can do. Don't underestimate the ability of a car to roll over once it goes sideways in dirt. I hope it never happens as that's a stunner of a car!

Thank you, I hope it never happens either.

I do as much as I can to make sure the car and I are safe, but yes sh*t happens.

More then once I was hard breaking in oil or coolant, and amazingly the computer still saved my A** as I tried my best to keep the car on the track and by gods hand somehow was able to.

And then there is sh*t like this that can happen... So believe me I get it

Old 03-01-2018, 12:08 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Old 04-04-2018, 02:38 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

wanted to bump this....are there any others out there? I called and on the clubsport it was ~24k premium and 25k deductible.....
Old 04-04-2018, 03:20 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 1,942 Posts

I have used Peter Sereda in the past - he is good. Don't know of any other than what Frank listed earlier.

Racing insurance is NOT cheap but it does make it so you are not putting all your chips on the table every race weekend. Really helped my confidence the first couple of years of racing. Lucky for them I have a strong survival instinct so I I want to avoid a crash more than I want a claim.

Quick Reply: PCA Club Racing Insurance?