Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13/13 rule..... Who has ever heard of "Working it off"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
There's also the PCA "Rub-out" rule. As in, if someone hits you, and your car isn't "substantially" damaged, they declare it a "Rub-out," and everyone walks away. Great if you're the hitter. Sucks if you're the hit-ee.
Agreed. A subjective decision on an objective incident.

Not good.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:25 AM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's also the PCA "Rub-out" rule. As in, if someone hits you, and your car isn't "substantially" damaged, they declare it a "Rub-out," and everyone walks away. Great if you're the hitter. Sucks if you're the hit-ee.
^^ +1

Really sucks being the hit-ee.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really is troubling to me. It's VARA. I really don't understand why they would do it. It was a legitimate 13/13- reported to VMC and to other Vintage groups. Driver hit me in the first practice session on the first lap on a new track (Practice Day). Not that big of a deal, just a dumb move on his part, especially on the first lap of a full practice day. Bent a few items on my car, Rt rear wheel and some fiberglass. He came over and apologized. $hit happens- I was over it. We both met with the Chief Driving Instructor, the other Driver took all blame with video proof, yet somehow I got a ding and was put on probation the rest of the weekend along with him... (:/) I plead my case, then finally said OK while shaking my head, but the video shows otherwise, not worth arguing about since I don't drive like an idiot. Fast forward to the Race- the Driver pulled the same move, same corner, hit a Vee and flipped onto the drivers head. The driver sustained neck injuries and had to goto the hospital.

I could care less about my car, but for the same thing to happen in the same corner with driver injury- you should not be able to work that penalty off. We had issues with VARA years ago with preferential treatment and selective enforcement, I though the new crew running it would of had better judgement. This is just wrong in my opinion. I just wanted to see if you guys ever heard of this before.

Again, first lap of practice.....
Old 02-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Don't forget the neon green shirt!
It is not neon green, the correct color is Fresh!!
Old 02-22-2018, 11:59 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hmmm. #33 Super Vee?

Nice picture of you in their galleries for the event: https://www.vararacing.com/photos-by-pls
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-22-2018, 12:12 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

True 13/13 chain gang credit program

Old 02-22-2018, 12:18 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Unless you get hit, have a broken wheel, and it's still a rubout. Guess a broken wheel isn't substantial enough.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:41 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hmmm. #33 Super Vee?

Nice picture of you in their galleries for the event: https://www.vararacing.com/photos-by-pls
I just got more clarification. Essentially he is still on a 13/13 with SVRA through July. That is what confused me. You can have a 13/13 with one club and not the other? VARA BOD voted to allow him to race (shortened 1 month) . I guess there was lawyers involved. (If you need to have lawyers involved, maybe you should not be racing....)

"work 4 events to cut down 1 month off his 13/13 , along with him losing his competition license for another 13 months , he is a rookie and is on strict probation , any incident of contact he is banned again this time for 13/13 with no exception along with having to wear rookie strips and attend every ground school and have to voice what he did and how it happened and how not to make the mistake to the group of rookies attending the class."

Then they brought up the VMC errors.
The board has brought up the Vintage Motor Sports Council Infractions list and reporting system which is outdated only report to one person and then its updated once a month and sometimes not then, we are trying to get a system that we all report into and shows instantly , but again we have 29 groups and the infractions list is not binding , 13/13 from one club not upheld from another.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Plavan
I just got more clarification. Essentially he is still on a 13/13 with SVRA through July. That is what confused me. You can have a 13/13 with one club and not the other? VARA BOD voted to allow him to race (shortened 1 month) . I guess there was lawyers involved. (If you need to have lawyers involved, maybe you should not be racing....)

"work 4 events to cut down 1 month off his 13/13 , along with him losing his competition license for another 13 months , he is a rookie and is on strict probation , any incident of contact he is banned again this time for 13/13 with no exception along with having to wear rookie strips and attend every ground school and have to voice what he did and how it happened and how not to make the mistake to the group of rookies attending the class."

The board has brought up the Vintage Motor Sports Council Infractions list and reporting system which is outdated only report to one person and then its updated once a month and sometimes not then, we are trying to get a system that we all report into and shows instantly , but again we have 29 groups and the infractions list is not binding , 13/13 from one club not upheld from another.
That is INSANE.

VARA and SVRA are VMC members. While there is no requirement to follow other club's probation or suspension list, most usually check the list before accepting entries.

The fact that this guy hit not only you (which should have had VARA excuse him, because he was ALREADY on probation from another VMC club) but that he went on to hit someone else causing injury is insane, and shows that VARA has no system nor consistency in administering their own rules, let alone common sense.

Last edited by ProCoach; 02-22-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:23 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

"Working it off"
"Rubbing it out"
"Receiving end of a nice whack!"

Remind me what this thread is about again?!
Old 02-22-2018, 03:50 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Work off a 13/13? No way... that's crazy.

Let me get this straight... the Vee driver already had an existing 13/13 prior to hitting you in the practice lap? Then he was allowed to continue racing when the serious incident occurred??? If so, that's nuts.

Yes, stuff happens but barring a mechanical... that driver had absolutely no business hitting you on the first practice lap at those speeds.

Severe lack of judgement or severe lack of car control or both.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:19 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan

Sounds ridiculous. Is there an appeals process for you?
Old 02-22-2018, 08:53 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
"Working it off"
"Rubbing it out"
"Receiving end of a nice whack!"

Remind me what this thread is about again?!
I was thinking the same thing! Wait.....
Old 02-23-2018, 12:56 PM
gt3cup
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Nope. In historic racing, if someone was found at fault where the other driver was hurt, they'd be gone... Forever.
Peter, unfortunately this is not always the case. I have personal knowledge of quite the opposite.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gt3cup
Peter, unfortunately this is not always the case. I have personal knowledge of quite the opposite.
With more than thirty different historic groups all across the country, there's no common standard, even though many clubs might print similar ones.

Will PM you.

Quick Reply: 13/13 rule..... Who has ever heard of "Working it off"?