Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened in final Sebring Enduro? The Cupcars?

Old 02-15-2018, 05:30 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I understand Sebring is a "historic" track but even after watching dozens of videos of it, I've never understood the attraction. Looks like masochistic torture for both the car and the driver. It's too far south for me anyway.
Do it once and you'll be hooked for life.
There's something that is indescribable about the place.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:11 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm sorry with a red flag, why was the back straight BLOCKED...I saw 3 wide as emergency crews went by, ambulance had to weave ........
understand there was a major fire which added to the confusion , but make a path once people are stopped.....maybe it's just me
Old 02-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Thanks for sharing -- as I'm staring at my first SPB race with a large field at CoTA -- I'm thinking of buying a ton of bubble wrap, claim its just paint protectant :-)
You'll be just fine. SPB's usually play relatively nice with each other. If you need a new PCA Logbook at COTA, we will meet so let's have a chat.

Originally Posted by MarcD147
I feel lucky that I survived all the carnage which I am sure was not due to my skill but more to running in the back so they stopped spinning by the time I arrived at the scene.
LOL - that's funny.

Originally Posted by hf1
I understand Sebring is a "historic" track but even after watching dozens of videos of it, I've never understood the attraction. Looks like masochistic torture for both the car and the driver. It's too far south for me anyway.
I was actually thinking the same thing when I went there first time with a Miata. However, over the past two years it has really grown on me and it has become one of my favorite tracks. It also helps to shake down a car for the season. If it doesn't fall off at Sebring, it will usually stay attached to your car for the entire season.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
it is completely flat with lots of turns.
high speed corners feel great when you get them right.

feels great to experience the history of the track.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
You'll be just fine. SPB's usually play relatively nice with each other.

LOL - that's funny.

I was actually thinking the same thing when I went there first time with a Miata. However, over the past two years it has really grown on me and it has become one of my favorite tracks. It also helps to shake down a car for the season. If it doesn't fall off at Sebring, it will usually stay attached to your car for the entire season.
Agree with all of this. Sebring is an awesome track. A great challenge to both man and machine.

That said, the first PCA Club Race I ever attended was 2012 48 Hours. The Red Group (Cup cars) was a mess. Good friends got taken out and major carnage occurred, due to NO fault of their own. It hasn't changed... Green flag flies, drivers press the pause button on their brain. Sorry to hear, Stu! You're one of the good guys!

I see perfectly reasonable and relatively thoughtful drivers completely abdicate personal responsibility in an effort to gain "one more place." I don't know whether it's a first event after a long layoff thing, or what.

It pains me when I sit in New Driver Orientation at PCA Club Racing and hear the scruts tell the class that "PCA Club Racing is the safest venue, we have the least incidents of any racing organization." Because that's just not true...

Should be, "with power, comes responsibility." But Sebring just seems to breed yellows... And this time, reds...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-16-2018, 09:29 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default rookie question

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Agree with all of this. Sebring is an awesome track. A great challenge to both man and machine.

That said, the first PCA Club Race I ever attended was 2012 48 Hours. The Red Group (Cup cars) was a mess. Good friends got taken out and major carnage occurred, due to NO fault of their own. It hasn't changed... Green flag flies, drivers press the pause button on their brain. Sorry to hear, Stu! You're one of the good guys!

I see perfectly reasonable and relatively thoughtful drivers completely abdicate personal responsibility in an effort to gain "one more place." I don't know whether it's a first event after a long layoff thing, or what.

It pains me when I sit in New Driver Orientation at PCA Club Racing and hear the scruts tell the class that "PCA Club Racing is the safest venue, we have the least incidents of any racing organization." Because that's just not true...

Should be, "with power, comes responsibility." But Sebring just seems to breed yellows... And this time, reds...
so how does this work with the 13/13 rule? One would think that after a season or two of cup carnage this group should be "cleaned up"
do people appeal them and they get rescinded? is this only a Sebring thing and the other races in the season will be better?

Old 02-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

so how does this work with the 13/13 rule? One would think that after a season or two of cup carnage this group should be "cleaned up"
do people appeal them and they get rescinded? is this only a Sebring thing and the other races in the season will be better?
Watkins Glen and VIR are usually pretty eventful too. Check out some of the videos in the threads from last year. Remember, a 13 only puts you on probation. You need another 13 to take a forced vacation.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:34 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Another thing is that when drivers change cars (usually an upgrade), you are in a position in the grid with unfamiliar drivers, new car and cold tires...all that probably plays a part in it. In any case, you really have to think of co-existing and maintaining grid position through corners the whole at the race start at Sebring. Like someone said, fighting hard for position on first lap is probably not a good idea. Track always opens up nicely by the time cars get to the back straight even on lap 1. I am in total self-preservation mode on 1st lap.

I also think, in a cup car, most amateur drivers (including me) are ever-extending our selves in terms of skill and experience. Closer to the limit, they are a real handful. I still do it for the thrill and the challenge.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:43 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

is this only a Sebring thing and the other races in the season will be better?
IMSA GT3 CUP also has seen carnage at Sebring....
Old 02-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What about the IMSA GT3 Cup at Watkins last year? 12 cars destroyed, more wrecked, and what 5 drivers sent to hospital? This was in the esses on first lap. These are PRO drivers and many kids looking at every event as another notch in their belt to move up. So VERY aggressive. PCA has nothing to offer but FUN and a thrill. I don't think anyone was scouted and taken to a factory team or F! from a Club Race... So as someone else mentioned a good race for all is when you can take the checker in an undamaged car.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:24 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
What about the IMSA GT3 Cup at Watkins last year? 12 cars destroyed, more wrecked, and what 5 drivers sent to hospital? This was in the esses on first lap. These are PRO drivers and many kids looking at every event as another notch in their belt to move up. So VERY aggressive. PCA has nothing to offer but FUN and a thrill. I don't think anyone was scouted and taken to a factory team or F! from a Club Race... So as someone else mentioned a good race for all is when you can take the checker in an undamaged car.
I would say: some drivers are pro

Give some of the top PCA drivers a big check book and im telling you, they will be on the podium or not far off.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
What about the IMSA GT3 Cup at Watkins last year? 12 cars destroyed, more wrecked, and what 5 drivers sent to hospital? This was in the esses on first lap. These are Amateur drivers and many kids looking at every event as another notch in their belt to move up. So VERY aggressive. PCA has nothing to offer but FUN and a thrill. I don't think anyone was scouted and taken to a factory team or F! from a Club Race... So as someone else mentioned a good race for all is when you can take the checker in an undamaged car.
Fixed it for you. Pros get paid (most); Amateurs write checks.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:02 AM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA997
I heard someone say there were fists flying in the middle of T17 post some sort of contact?

Shame that old Supercup car went up in flames.
Unbelievable! This is racing for fun. We don’t even get trophies (let alone any sort of pay). Heck I had to buy three bottles of cheap gas station champagne so when Sebastian won at Road America he could spray it at the rest of us losers in GTB1 hahaha!

I did at an event several years ago have a driver who i passed tight while I codrove someone else’s car (very clean pass, his ego was bruised by the pass), walk up to me after the practice session and say if I try that again he’s going to kick my ***. I laughed it off as he scolded me. He was twice my age and I just couldn’t believe a successful adult would lose his temper over this sort of event.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:04 AM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
I would say: some drivers are pro

Give some of the top PCA drivers a big check book and im telling you, they will be on the podium or not far off.
the top end of GTB1, GTC4/5/6, clubsport, and E could all go be successful elsewhere.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:21 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MoD

the top end of E could go be successful elsewhere.
fixed that for you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What happened in final Sebring Enduro? The Cupcars?