Sponsored by:

Cash Tips for DE Instructors

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 12:03 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts
Default Cash Tips for DE Instructors

On a separate thread about DE budgets, someone mentioned that they include cash tips to their DE instructors in their DE budget. Tipping instructors at DE's is news to me, the only coach I ever tipped was my pro-coach at Monticello (MMC), as I was told it was customary. I have progressed to the advanced solo run group in my PCA region and as such don't always have an instructor in the right seat, however I would really hate to have violated an unwritten 'code' or custom in the 1.5 years I spent in the instructed run groups. I've had great instructors over the years and till this day appreciate their advice, input, recommendations and general life lessons.

To DE instructors/coaches: do you expect and/or accept cash tips from your students?

To DE students: do you offer tips to your instructors at HPDE events? If so, what percentage accept?

If there is a tipping custom, I would like to pass it on to others (who may be as unaware as I was) as we approach the beginning of the DE season here in the Northeast. Thanks
Old 02-14-2018, 12:15 PM
rhargy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been doing it for some time and the only tip I ever got was "Lucky Boy in the 4th to place"
Old 02-14-2018, 12:19 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
On a separate thread about DE budgets, someone mentioned that they include cash tips to their DE instructors in their DE budget. Tipping instructors at DE's is news to me, the only coach I ever tipped was my pro-coach at Monticello (MMC), as I was told it was customary. I have progressed to the advanced solo run group in my PCA region and as such don't always have an instructor in the right seat, however I would really hate to have violated an unwritten 'code' or custom in the 1.5 years I spent in the instructed run groups. I've had great instructors over the years and till this day appreciate their advice, input, recommendations and general life lessons.

To DE instructors/coaches: do you expect and/or accept cash tips from your students?

To DE students: do you offer tips to your instructors at HPDE events? If so, what percentage accept?

If there is a tipping custom, I would like to pass it on to others (who may be as unaware as I was) as we approach the beginning of the DE season here in the Northeast. Thanks
I've had one student tip me, I tried really genuinely hard to refuse it and he insisted. But it wasn't much. I know I have joked on this forum in some thread that it is expected but that was indeed a joke. At typical events (for profit groups like Chin or clubs like PCA) tipping isn't standard. I've heard stories from other instructors in contexts other than those where tipping happens and can be significant (places where a $150,000 GT3 would be the cheapest car in the paddock. By a lot).
Old 02-14-2018, 12:33 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never tipped an instructor in my early DE days, all of my past instructors seemed to genuinely be happy to pass on their knowledge pro bono. Now as an instructor, I would never expect a tip.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:55 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I have only been tipped once, and it felt very awkward. I personally do not expect tips from students. The reward for me is helping someone improve their skills and have a fun and safe day on track. If I can accomplish those by the end of the day/event then I got everything I was expecting in payback.

I also do a lot of one ride along's with people who are black or white run group people and offer a small amount of coaching to them. I also expect nothing from these ride along's as the payback is the same for me.

I do also offer coaching services to people which I do expect to get paid for, but those students get a very different level of service and attention.

As a student, the biggest thing you can do for your instructor is give him/her the respect of listening working to implement what your instructor is trying to teach you the best way you can. The more you do that, the more your instructor can give you. It then becomes a two way street as you get the learning and your instructor gets the satisfaction of teaching. Also, communicate with your instructor. If your struggling or don't understand what he is telling you, tell him that. There is a lot going on in a car and sometimes your instructor may not see what or why something isn't working out.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Absolutely not
Old 02-14-2018, 01:08 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob

If you are referring to the comment I made about adding that into the budget for DE's, I have done it only once.
I have had 20+ instructors over the last 5 years.
I have tipped one of them, and I had to do it by giving the tip to someone else and having them give it to the instructor AFTER the DE had ended and I was on my way home.
Other than that, I have never tipped an instructor.
That being said, most of them deserve a tip but won't take one.
As a rule of thumb, I do not tip instructors. That one time I did, it was because of how much I learned from that one instructor and how hard he pushed me during that DE.
As a rule of thumb, the short answer is "no".
Old 02-14-2018, 01:20 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been offered tips numerous times as an instructor and always turned them down. As stated by others though, it is different if they are paying me to instruct outside of the group. Then in that case yes I have accepted gratuities and also delivering a lot more service. If instructing for Chin / PCA etc most I have done is accepted a lunch offer...
Old 02-14-2018, 01:29 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

The only bribe I ever received, and accepted, was a cold beer when the track was cold. My student had a few more questions and figured he would try this since I was getting ready to head out to the hotel.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:39 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Wouldn’t that turn the relationship into a business one where tangible consideration is exchanged? I think that would also change the insurance requirement and liability of the instructor for possible damages. Not sure about this but feels like something I am glad I never did.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:46 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Been offered a couple, certainly not the norm nor expected.

-Mike
Old 02-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

No consideration as optional after the fact and not based upon anything.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:20 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 531 Likes on 284 Posts

I’ve never been offered a tip, but one student gave my wife a bottle of wine for helping HIS wife feel more comfortable on the track when she was instructing. Was a good wine :-)

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 02-14-2018, 02:51 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
The only bribe I ever received, and accepted, was a cold beer when the track was cold. My student had a few more questions and figured he would try this since I was getting ready to head out to the hotel.
I had my student buy me a hot dog and a bottle of water for the price of picking my brain over lunch. Other than that a cold beer has been the only other offer I have received.

That being said, perhaps it is because I have not published my fee schedule:

1. $100 - Recommend promotion to next run group.
2. $500 - Recommend student as instructor candidate.
3. $1,000 - "Clearly the next Senna" written in student's log book.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:52 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

Never been offered a tip in the 13 years I've been instructing. Wouldn't take one if offered.

Quick Reply: Cash Tips for DE Instructors