Sponsored by:

Roebling death

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:13 PM
mose121
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I love RRR, and never feel unsafe driving there. As a matter of fact I often recommend it to newbies as a great first track.
So you're good with a 60's era safety berm that acts as a launch ramp after this just happened? Okay then.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:14 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
There are no stats for medical events while doing HPDE or racing. Those events probably aren't any different for sailing or sex.
You must be doing some pretty rigorous sailing. Maybe sex while sailing?

Old 02-14-2018, 07:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Originally Posted by mose121
How any responsible sanctioning body/organization could sign off on that berm only raises more questions.
These organizations typically rely on the opinions of volunteers who don't have any professional background in track safety engineering. They may be well intentioned, but good intentions aren't a substitute for proper qualifications and engineering analysis/design. Imagine if people could practice medicine without needing to go through med school and residency ...
Old 02-14-2018, 07:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by mose121
So you're good with a 60's era safety berm that acts as a launch ramp after this just happened? Okay then.
Give it a rest
Old 02-14-2018, 07:49 PM
bldn10
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

A thought came to my mind, in addition, of course, to the horror and sadness of losing a track brother and injury to another, that perhaps I should stop instructing at the "dangerous" tracks. Then it hit me that, aside from some runoff deficiencies, Roebling would probably be considered one of the safer tracks in the SE. I.e. it can happen anywhere, anytime. To anyone.

I can envision the day, as some here have suggested, when instruction will not be in-car. Or at least not every session. Frankly, the biggest improvements I've ever obtained was after the student rode w/ me. And I am a believer in lead-follow too.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:59 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by bldn10
I.e. it can happen anywhere, anytime. To anyone.
+1

And even close calls can make one think. More than that in a weekend and you question your sanity as an instructor.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:25 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Even Jalopnik picked up the story:

https://jalopnik.com/driver-dies-aft...ash-1822938194
Old 02-14-2018, 08:32 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

There is so much being made in this thread about adding ‘safety’ features to a car being used at an HPDE, but no road car is going to do well with an incapacitated driver potentially still pressing down on the accelerator and certainly not touching the brakes at the end of the front straight at any road course. The kinetic energy upon impact for even a full on race car to have to deal with upon that sort of impact is huge. No one is going to make the necessary modifications to their road car to try and make it protect a driver in that kind of scenario, i. e. a driver that is unconscious and not exerting control over the car.

It’s a tragedy for all involved, no doubt, and yes the speed of modern street cars versus what we were driving 20 years ago plays a part such that all tracks need to ensure that they have the very best protection that they can for a car that veers off track. But if some of the things proposed above are mandated for your typical entrant at the typical PCA/BMW CCA HPDE event, then the ‘sport’ as we know it will be crippled.

Bish

PS: for all of you instructors: you and your peers have taught me so much, and even though I’ve been driving solo in the Advanced run group for over 20 years now, I still learn from ‘you’ when I’m lucky enough to have of you ride in the car with me. Please know how much you’re respected!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:04 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Yes, 2 days ago. Post # 80
Old 02-14-2018, 09:05 PM
Estoril
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

A thought came to my mind, in addition, of course, to the horror and sadness of losing a track brother and injury to another, that perhaps I should stop instructing at the "dangerous" tracks. Then it hit me that, aside from some runoff deficiencies, Roebling would probably be considered one of the safer tracks in the SE. I.e. it can happen anywhere, anytime. To anyone.

I can envision the day, as some here have suggested, when instruction will not be in-car. Or at least not every session. Frankly, the biggest improvements I've ever obtained was after the student rode w/ me. And I am a believer in lead-follow too.
Why not stop instructing at track with badly outdated safety features? I have. Its not as if there is a shortage of tracks. There will always be tracks (not singling one out) that will refuse to improve safety features for decades - until they feel the financial pressure to do so. That dirt berm in Turn 1 appears to be so outdated that its hard to believe that it is still relied upon. How long has it been there - unchanged with no improvements? If my observation about this are wrong - tell me how.

Instructors DO have the ability to vote with their feet. After the death of instructor Ken Novinger at Summit Point Jefferson circuit in 2014 - I vowed not to do events on tracks where a car can go directly to a tree without safety features intervening. We will lose a fight with a tree 100% of the time. If you look at the post-crash photo - the car slid sideways into the tree and the instructor stood no chance. No chance. And yet events are still held on that circuit with plenty of mature trees. Now ask yourself "Why is that?"

Wasn't a PCA Instructor killed years ago in the south (GA, SC?) when they went off track and a tree branch penetrated the windshield? Its been a while and I'm doing this from memory.

Summit Point Main - ~3 years ago a driver swerved to miss an object on track, left right side of the main straight and the dirt berm did not stop the car - but instead launched it upwards. It settled on a fence post which penetrated the floor pan and the instructors seat. Very serious injury to the instructor. Again - dirt berm.

There are four entities that contribute to safety at these events: The student driver, Instructors, the track and the event sponsor. Students aren't going to lobby for modern safety protection. They pay their money and expect a safe event - generally unaware of the myriad of risks - including those of their own doing. Most tracks aren't going to spend to modernize - unless it means loss of revenue from pro or amateur events. And the track owners aren't in the car. In-car Instructors know the risks, manage them within the limits of reasonable action and time and have serious skin in the game (personal risk). The event sponsor also recognizes the risks, but has to manage the event within the limits of cost and the track time urged by paying drivers. So who has the ball?

The only two parties than can and will do anything to advance safety at HPDEs are instructors - and by extension the event organizer (who needs instructors to run events and bears some liability). If in-car Instructors don't push for changes - who will? What should we wait for? Government regulation? Insurance industry regulation? Tracks to suddenly start getting interested in safety improvements?

Props to the good, safe tracks that take safety seriously and have the very real improvements to prove it. Most of us have been on them. Many of those run pro events - and the event sponsors won't sign with a track whose safety features aren't up to par. Which is the way it should be for HPDEs. Pro sponsors learn from most serious incidents. We should too.

Defending the status quo in substandard track features will just mean that the next few generations of instructors (and track drivers - race or not) will have gained nothing from our harsh experiences.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:20 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

^ Estoril, very well said. The tracks will only improve their safety if there's real pressure to do so. Who else but us will apply that pressure?

I knew Ken, as well as the instructor who was speared by a fence post (I was at that track instructing that day myself). Both really nice people. And both entirely PREVENTABLE outcomes if those tracks had proper safety features - the deficiencies were OBVIOUS to anyone properly qualified to evaluate the tracks.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:45 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
You must be doing some pretty rigorous sailing. Maybe sex while sailing?

I do not know your source but I'll accept it. You have 102 deaths in last 7 years!

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...ingsafety.html

the National Weather Service, conducted the study by examining demographic information for 238 deaths attributed to lightning over the last seven years.

So you are two times more likely to get killed by lightening than killed on a race track! So what do we need to fix again?
Old 02-15-2018, 12:09 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I do not know your source but I'll accept it. You have 102 deaths in last 7 years!

the National Weather Service, conducted the study by examining demographic information for 238 deaths attributed to lightning over the last seven years.

So you are two times more likely to get killed by lightening than killed on a race track! So what do we need to fix again?
The source of the data is the Charlotte Observer database and a summary of the data that I did a few years ago. If you look at the rest of the charts you will see that 12% of those fatalities happened on road coarses, and 16% were due to medical issues.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:17 AM
Estoril
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

It seems NOAA doesn't agree with itself:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-not-more.html
Old 02-15-2018, 12:32 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Estoril
It seems NOAA doesn't agree with itself:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-not-more.html

OK so the NOAA I quoted was 7 yrs of data I forget which yeatrs. Your quote from NOAA shows this graph with incomplete # of 2017 deaths so 182 deaths from lightening. You are still more likely to get killed by lightening than driving on track.

Quick Reply: Roebling death