Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to get an entry level racing helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 03:59 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fit is essential, and that's a place where the cheapies have a weakness. The better helmets come in hat sizes whereas the cheapies come in small, medium, large, etc. If your head just happens to fit right in one of these sizes, great. Otherwise, look for one that comes in hat sizes.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:27 PM
john d 81SC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the mentions of helmet weight & G-Force, don't forget the neck support collar. As a member of our local PCA experienced firsthand at a DE event at the Glen, these collars offer substantial protection from neck injuries compared to not wearing one. The emergency room physician who treated him was amazed that our guy had suffered so little neck trauma considering the severity of his other injuries. Even if you're paying less by buying an off-brand helmet, I'd recommend budgeting for this.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:15 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by john d 81SC
With the mentions of helmet weight & G-Force, don't forget the neck support collar. As a member of our local PCA experienced firsthand at a DE event at the Glen, these collars offer substantial protection from neck injuries compared to not wearing one. The emergency room physician who treated him was amazed that our guy had suffered so little neck trauma considering the severity of his other injuries. Even if you're paying less by buying an off-brand helmet, I'd recommend budgeting for this.
Unless I'm mistaken, these collars provide essentially no benefit in an accident. They are for comfort purposes only - reducing the neck fatigue and strain from repeated g-force turns. Certainly, the companies who make them would never claim safety benefits. The only way to protect against this neck trauma is a HANS, ISSACS, etc. device.

Erick
Old 12-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I have a thick Deist collar and, although the manufacturer makes no claims of a reduction in neck injury most likely due to liability issues, I am convinced that wearing the collar HAS to have some benefit. At the very least, the collar is better than nothing at all and most likely offers some reduction in head movement over the thinner collars. Anything that restricts head or neck movement in a crash means my head is not going to be whackin' around on top of my shoulders.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:11 PM
DanS911
Pro

Exactly right Mark, while these manufacturers in todays world cannot make any safty claims there is no doubt that they (collars) provide some margin or safety, and more safety is better.
Also to reiterate, while I would always say buy the safest equipment that your budget allows, there is no difference in the impact or safety standards between the M and SA Snell ratings with the exception of the fire protection materials used, ( btw that is inside and outside)
Old 12-25-2003, 10:20 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DanS911
Also to reiterate, while I would always say buy the safest equipment that your budget allows, there is no difference in the impact or safety standards between the M and SA Snell ratings with the exception of the fire protection materials used, ( btw that is inside and outside)
From the Snell FAQ at www.smf.org:
==========================

What are the differences between the SA and M standards?
SA Standard was designed for auto racing while M Standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. There are three major differences between them:
SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not;
SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets may not be street legal);
SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:04 AM
Geo
Race Director

I can speak first-hand about that kind of situation the neck collars offer protection. One saved my life. Literally. However, it was in a kart race, not in a car. They provide some limit to the range of motion of the head.

In my case, some moron behind me decided to use the back of my head to slow down rather than the brake pedal. He hit my rear bumper, climbed up and hit my head (helmet did it's job in saving my life as well), continued to climb until the entire kart and driver were resting on my head - 325lbs in total. My head was cocked to the side, but limited by the neck collar. I remember vividly thinking to myself "thank God for these neck collars - now get off me." With the angle of the impact, I have no doubt without the collar the impact would have broken my neck.

That said, the neck collar offers little to no protection from the basil (sp?) skull fracture that occurs during rapid deceleration of an accident. In this type of injury, the neck extends and literally severs the spine at the base of the skull. The neck collar will not prevent this neck extension.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:21 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

YES, I would argue anyday that my Sparco "wedge" shaped collar would provide a decent degree of safety protection, over NOT having one on. After all, it's obvious that it would limit range of motion during impact. During a SERIOUS incident, I would imagine that's where the benefits of wearing a HANS/ISSACS device kicks in??

BTW, as of yesterday (12/25) I am the proud owner of a brand spankin' new Bieffe Predator!!

I have yet to take it all apart, supposedly the liner is removable?? Will play with it more tonight. Another cool thing about it is that the Bieffe helmets come prepared for tear-offs with integrated posts in the visor...this is good, being that I also drive an open-cockpit Sports Racer. (pictured to the left)
Old 12-27-2003, 04:16 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Jeff Curtis
Another cool thing about it is that the Bieffe helmets come prepared for tear-offs with integrated posts in the visor...this is good, being that I also drive an open-cockpit Sports Racer. (pictured to the left)
I thought they all had those tear-off posts. I know my dad's Bell he bought in the 80's did.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:01 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmmmm, ran out and looked at my (now "OLD") M2 and see that it in fact has tear-off posts.

Guess I was led to believe that the posts were "add-ons" for most helmets?

Oh well, at least the ones on my Bieffe are ALUMINUM!!! Heh-heh, Hi-tech ya'all.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Drewster67
Nordschleife Master

I picked up a Bell Multi 4 Snell MA 2000 helmet through Dennis Kirk for 135.00 plus shipping.

I run with Pro Auto Sports and the only requirement is that I have to wear a Nomex head Sock.

Good Luck -

www.denniskirk.com
Old 01-06-2004, 09:06 PM
RealRideRacing
Advanced

<< I'm kind of doubtful that it would be very likely in an autocross. >>

Figure this... our driver was killed at less than 60mph! I'm pretty sure many autocrossers exceed that kind of speed. Remember, it's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden deceleration. Under the right circumstances, you can experience a 40g impact at 40mph. Is it likely? Probably not, but that's not to say it's not going to happen.
Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what your life is worth. Should you wear a HANS device and have a full welded rollcage in your autocross car? Probably overkill, but I would at least get a proper seat with side head protection, a rollbar, and a full face helmet (why they still allow open face helmets puzzles me).
And the lighter helmet is always a better choice when all else is equal. Figure a 26g impact (remember it was at less than 60mph) equates to 26 times more the static weight of the helmet on your neck. And that force applies forward, backward and SIDEWAYS! Try twisting your head sideways quickly and imagine that with 26 times more force.

Regards,
David
REALRIDE.COM RACING
http://www.RealRide.com
Old 01-07-2004, 12:55 AM
Geo
Race Director

David, thanks for poignant response. Hopefully we can all learn the lesson. I am certain there is a HANS in my future (I may go for one of the wanna be's in the near term). I figure I owe it to mywife (forget about me, I've made my peace with God).

Sometimes folks think in terms of the odds of a serious accident rather than the severity. In racing we protect against the severity, not the odds.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:59 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Happy to say I'll be racing w. a HANS this year. My wife eliminated my dithering on cost by making it a Christmas present.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Speaking of HANS, does anyone here have experience with the G-Force SRS system? It's a HANS-type device. My helmet has the bolt in points for their device, and I am considering getting it, but only if it offers protection similar to the HANS device.

Regards,
-Zoltan.

Quick Reply: where to get an entry level racing helmet?