Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you check center lock torque before track event?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I suggest you do some searches in the 997 GT3 forum on terms such as ‘centerlock failure’ and similar. You’ll find loads of folks sharing horror stories. In fact, the guy who bought my 2010 GT3 had a wheel come off the car while on-track at high speed. It was sheer luck no one was hurt. This was just one of many catastrophic failures that forced Porsche to do a quick rethink of the procedure and torque specs for centerlocks.
Who are you replying to or what are you getting at here?

I started this thread to find out what I need to do to ensure my wheels don't come off. You're saying wheels have come off. I did the search you're talking about and I'm pretty sure I asked exactly what leads to wheels coming off in another thread and the answers I got were reassuring. If you follow the proper steps as laid out by Porsche and the wheels will not come off a 991. If that's wrong or you've got any advice, that's what we're here to read.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:46 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
There's some weirdness going on here with the quoting and I'm pretty sure this wasn't for me... but from what was mentioned above, it would appear that once they're properly tight they don't get un-tight so my plan going forward is going to be to check that the locks are properly engaged at the start of the day and leave it at that.

Looks like I'll have to make a habit of re-doing them any time I get it back from a shop though. So that's annoying.

Not sure it's been said in this thread yet, but center locks suck ***** and it's crap that Porsche forces them on us.
Sorry, I can see that was not clear - it was intended for Zedcat who kindly replied.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:47 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Have there been any reported failures with the 991 centerlocks?
I know there are quite a few with the 997 version. I thought they somehow changed the hardware on the 991 as well as publishing the 800-step procedure to properly inspect and tighten them.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

There's some weirdness going on here with the quoting and I'm pretty sure this wasn't for me... but from what was mentioned above, it would appear that once they're properly tight they don't get un-tight so my plan going forward is going to be to check that the locks are properly engaged at the start of the day and leave it at that.

Looks like I'll have to make a habit of re-doing them any time I get it back from a shop though. So that's annoying.

Not sure it's been said in this thread yet, but center locks suck ***** and it's crap that Porsche forces them on us.
My buddy swapped his to 5 lug. 997.2.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
My buddy swapped his to 5 lug. 997.2.
You can buy kits for that. I’m not aware of any such thing for the 991.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:04 PM
thekid96
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by mmuller
I own 2 997 GT3RS's and a 991 GT3 personally myself, so have pretty good first hand knowledge of the center lock issue's. I have been on track and had a 997GT3 loose a wheel in front of me. That car had non standard wheels on it and was re-torqued with the car ON ITS WHEELS ON THE GROUND.

Like I said, never seen a car with the proper technique used with OEM wheels have something come loose. Just looks at an exploded view of the center lock system. Its very apparent how its supposed to work.
This is the point. How many PROPERLY INSTALLED center lock wheels have come off? I have two 997s with center locks with 1000's of track laps on them. I've never had a wheel come off. I have had a wheel come lose, but only due to the fact that I didn't engage the locking mechanism. That's on me. Had the wheel come off on track, would I have blamed Porsche and the CL mechanism?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:36 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Once CL's properly installed and now on the ground I see no reason you can't do yet another check at torque any time you want. We torque 5 lugs and retorque after a track session. CL's are not special. There is no reason to think they can't loose torque. Why would a CL loose torque? Well for the same reason a 5 lug would loose torque. I think what is scarier is the huge number of CL users who rely solely on their airgun with only measure the pressure set on their nitrogen regulator. There is no way to get repeatable results with an airgun. If there was we would not use torque wrenches. Even with just using airguns it is rare that a CL wheel leaves without the car.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by thekid96
Had the wheel come off on track, would I have blamed Porsche and the CL mechanism?
I expect you would. I mean... once it's come off, you can't really have a look at it to realize that you'd made a mistake right? You'd assume you did it right as you always have and be baffled as to why it came off.

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Even with just using airguns it is rare that a CL wheel leaves without the car.
I thought you absolutely couldn't use an impact wrench on center locks for tightening or loosening. Do people do it anyway??
Old 02-08-2018, 09:46 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

I thought you absolutely couldn't use an impact wrench on center locks for tightening or loosening. Do people do it anyway??
It's in the manual. Do not use an impact wrench. This is for Porsche street car centerlocks. I've never seen anyone use an impact wrench on them.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:11 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

+1 put in air, have buddy depress brake, retorque as per instructions. I did that for years with mine, regularly swapping between street and track wheels, and moving track wheels side to side. PIA but it's the way to do it to make sure it is right.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:15 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"1000's of track laps on them" - then probably time to replace Hubs as per Porsche etc.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by brownan
+1 put in air, have buddy depress brake, retorque as per instructions. I did that for years with mine, regularly swapping between street and track wheels, and moving track wheels side to side. PIA but it's the way to do it to make sure it is right.
Let me be really clear on my question here. I'm not asking about how you properly install a center lock wheel. Obviously if you take one off, you've gotta run through the whole installation procedure.

I'm asking whether there's an easy way, with the wheel already installed, to just check that it's properly torqued.

The answer seems to be no, and that if you want to check them, you have to re-install them. I think you're just re-stating that, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Proper greasing procedure a must also
inspections at track events are required by some PCA regions
l’m so glad not to have them anymore
Old 02-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlackRain
Proper greasing procedure a must also
inspections at track events are required by some PCA regions
l’m so glad not to have them anymore

I feel like I'm talking into a void.

There are two answers available here.

1. To check the torque you...
2. You cannot check it. You need to re-do the installation procedure if you want to ensure they're properly torqued.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:15 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

2. You cannot check it. You need to re-do the installation procedure if you want to ensure they're properly torqued.
THIS is the Answer

Quick Reply: How do you check center lock torque before track event?