SS Brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 12:48 PM
9sixty4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS Brake lines

Does anyone know if there are flexible braided stainless steel brake lines which replace the hard line from the caliper to the factory flexible line. I would like to make this mod to facilitate caliper/rotor removal between my track pads and rotors and my street setup. Thanks in advance for any info on this. The car is a 94 964 Factory Turbo Look.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:29 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Jim:

AFAIK, there is nothing ready-made for doing that.

I believe Goodridge can make you a set of these if you ask. If you pursue that, I'd recommend asking them to make several sets for you as I think these need to be replaced from time-to-time.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:02 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't make that upgrade for one reason.

Your brake lines are all rigid, except for a small section which allows steering and suspension travel to come into play. Adding more "flexible" line also adds more linear inches/feet for "bulge".

Albeit it's not much, but you want the least amount of flexible line in your system - especially for a 3000lb car!

I considered doing the same, but thought not to mess with it.

NOW...on the other hand, my Sports Racer is 100% flexible, steel-braided line - but it's about 1300lbs too.

SO...I dunno, I just wouldn't do it to my P-Car...it's a safety issue and I just don't like the idea. If you want more flexibility when you remove the calipers/rotors - remove the "Horse Shoe" retaining clip from your shock body, it helps a bit.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:37 PM
9sixty4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:55 PM
TX996
Advanced

Lightbulb Replace SS brake lines

All,

Poster was correct. They should be replaced fairly frequently. I am not sure what I would reccomend but this may help if I explain why. The SS line is actually braiding around a rubber core. This greatly limits the "buldge" of the line and increases firm pedal feel. also it is more durable against strikes or cuts.

Now the reason for replacement is that dirt and other contaminents get between the braiding and the rubber core. With flex and time and motion this dirt or grime will have an abrasive, rubbing action that can compromise the integrity of the core. (It basically can rub a hole, or weak spot in it.)

I typically replace mine every year or so, more or less depending on track events and if I every go off into the dirt (even two wheels off or though smoeone elses mess can cause this).

Hope that helps some... and yes I felt that I could notice the difference in pedal feel.. it feels like a rock with a clean bleed and the SS lines. Very nice.

Quick Reply: SS Brake lines