Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMSA Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 12:53 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default IMSA Racing

Porsche continues to struggle with the new RSR. Over the last year and then again tonight, just don’t seem to be finding any lucky breaks. The Fords are nuts fast. Must be something in the rules that are giving them too much of an advantage. Anyone else trying to watch some of the Daytona 24?
Old 01-28-2018, 01:21 AM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Watching it as much as I can. Porsche is definitely having growing pains with their mid-engine 911 and my hypothesis is that they are having a bit of issue 1) adapting to the mid-engine design in terms of suspension design, etc., 2) cooling the engine given that they have gone to a central radiator in the front, 3) aerodynamics of trying to get the front and rear balanced in a car whose shape is inherently not aerodynamic. My guess is that they will bounce back with some BoP adjustment and dogged German attitude.

As for the Ford's I have to say that they design, construction, etc. is much more aligned to the LMP1, DPi class than a true GTLM class. But that is subject to debate as all the cars in GTLM try to get away with as many loopholes as they can.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:10 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

They should go turbo like rest, I love the variety of all the makes, but wish was at least competitive
Old 01-28-2018, 04:13 PM
gieseja
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They got spanked in GTD too.

Yeah the ford gt looks like it a good 5 tenths on the pace of the vette, which was 5 tenths faster than the 911.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:19 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 525 Posts

I tuned in last nite just as the Audi was being parked at the pit lane exit to serve a so called Nuclear penalty for a refuel rig that was allowing to much flow.that IMSA had given them to use in this very race. After seeing this farce play out for 5 mil I never watched again.
Meantime Wayne Taylor team was having their 3 R rear flat tire.
When I want stupid rules being played out I watch F1 racing.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:07 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 118 Posts

From in car camera, the RSR looked better under braking and on exit out of corners compared the corvette but slower on the banking.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by spanky
Meantime Wayne Taylor team was having their 3 R rear flat tire.
Well, I know the tire chief for the 5 and the 31 car (P1 and P2), 60+ sets and NO tire failures...

How you deal with "stupid rules" is what wins you the race...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-28-2018, 09:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
From in car camera, the RSR looked better under braking and on exit out of corners compared the corvette but slower on the banking.
Big time. They'll get it going... Daytona is the outlier.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:59 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Watching it with my own two eyes I saw the fords just disappear on the banking. One example was a ford came out of the pits behind a Porsche that was on track and the ford caught and passed and gained a 4 second lead on the Porsche in 1 1/2 laps. And it wasn't just a driver or a ford it was all of them and both of them. They drove passed the Ferrari like it was standings still. Ford also had a faster fueling rig I understand. As I watched and looked at lap times etc the fords were consistently .5 to 1 seconds faster than everyone else. On every lap I checked. Once they came out of the infield it was game over.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:28 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 99999
Porsche continues to struggle with the new RSR. Over the last year and then again tonight, just don’t seem to be finding any lucky breaks. The Fords are nuts fast. Must be something in the rules that are giving them too much of an advantage. Anyone else trying to watch some of the Daytona 24?
Went to the race. As I sat there watching, I was thinking the same thing. The Ford GTs and Corvettes seem to be so much faster. And, looking at the onboard live video - the Porsche's had so much drama - like there were driving at 11/10ths while GTs and Vettes were running nearly perfect laps as if they were driving at 9/10ths.

It must be humbling for the Porsche brass. This is a glory time for racing. And, Ford and GM are kicking butt. Time for Porsche to do what it takes to make it happen. They need a SERIOUS lobby to get the BOP corrected.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:28 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Went to the race. As I sat there watching, I was thinking the same thing. The Ford GTs and Corvettes seem to be so much faster. And, looking at the onboard live video - the Porsche's had so much drama - like there were driving at 11/10ths while GTs and Vettes were running nearly perfect laps as if they were driving at 9/10ths.

It must be humbling for the Porsche brass. This is a glory time for racing. And, Ford and GM are kicking butt. Time for Porsche to do what it takes to make it happen. They need a SERIOUS lobby to get the BOP corrected.
+997

CONGRATS To Cadillac
Old 01-28-2018, 11:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Weird. Top speed for Porsche in GTLM right up there. One of them had the same fast lap time as the Vette... Look under Hour 24 of the race. http://results.imsa.com/
Old 01-29-2018, 12:05 AM
Jim Devine
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

The death penalty for the Audi... what else can you expect from the same family that owns NASCAR. Pure crap, if Audi was smart enough to figure out how to fill the car faster good for them. Cars should have a class & displacement limit and the rest is up to them. BOP = BS.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:09 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Weird. Top speed for Porsche in GTLM right up there. One of them had the same fast lap time as the Vette... Look under Hour 24 of the race. http://results.imsa.com/

Torque. Unless the RSR's were mic'ed up differently than in previous years, it sounded like they were turning at least 500 more revs at redline. If IMSA is going to try and balance the cars according to what their strengths would be under "unrestricted" rules, the Porsche is going to suffer from a lack of grunt. Not HP, torque. The Vettes are 5.5L, the Ferrari is a turbo, the Ford is a turbo, and the BMW is a turbo. If the BOP were perfect, they would be able to account for this, but it's not a perfect science so by having access to torque, you have another bullet in your gun that can keep you competitive if they botch the balancing. I saw an RSR battling the 67 Ford and coming on to the banking I couldn't believe how the Ford had closed. I figured the Ford would sail by but it never did. The RSR stayed in front, but the gap was smaller after it came on to the banking. This is the argument for a turbo engine, which Porsche shunned because 1) they considered it to be too complicated and heavy and 2) because they explicitly said IMSA and WEC were going to get better at balancing (this comment was made after the 2016 Le Mans 24 where Ford and Ferrari ran away after sandbagging).

This brings me to my next point where I can't help being a conspiracy theorist. Gannassi was the grand marshal, he's got 199 wins (and wouldn't a crown jewel race be a nice 200th), he has a history of being able to negotiate the BOP in IMSA better than his competitors (see the Lexus and BMW-powered prototype days), and Ford received BOTH a larger fuel tank and air restrictor before the race. To best illustrate the point, Ford retuned their engines prior to the the 2016 Le Mans to lower the IAT which gave them a boatload more power. They apparently had no idea how to keep temperatures in check prior to Le Mans, and oddly enough, the IAT's were something that the BOP didn't keep an eye on until after the race........ Either IMSA is really ****ing bad at their job or they were okay with giving a little more leeway to Ford during this particular race and figured "we can always go back and adjust later".

Last edited by enduro911; 01-29-2018 at 12:17 AM. Reason: eye kant spel
Old 01-29-2018, 05:01 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Get the turbo Mezger back. Toss the high reving DFI and get the torque monster back in. What an embarrassing moment for Porsche. Dead last. 911 Sales will keep plummeting.

Quick Reply: IMSA Racing