Sponsored by:

12 Hours of Sebring questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 09:55 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 12 Hours of Sebring questions

A friend and I are making a decision to come down for the race, since its late in the game I would probably fly into Orlando or Tampa and drive down. Just curious as I wanted to bring my son also, if you have a car at the track can you drive around to different spots? Or do they have shuttle service? I was just going to buy tickets w pit access and roam around. My son is 13 so I think he could handle it ( I hope lol). Any suggestions or something I am not thinking about please let me know.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2018, 07:05 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 667 Likes on 322 Posts

You can do both if you have a parking pass you are limited where you can park but you can drive around some, and yes they also have a bunch of shuttles running that you can hop on and go down the midway it turns around before the drive over bridge and then goes through the paddock area it has numerous stops to jump off or to jump on all marked with a “ Shuttle Pickup” sign. If you have not purchased your tickets yet pm or email me there is a nice package I can tell you about. I have a house in Sebring and have been going on12 hour for about 30 years
Rich
Old 01-26-2018, 07:08 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
A friend and I are making a decision to come down for the race, since its late in the game I would probably fly into Orlando or Tampa and drive down. Just curious as I wanted to bring my son also, if you have a car at the track can you drive around to different spots? Or do they have shuttle service? I was just going to buy tickets w pit access and roam around. My son is 13 so I think he could handle it ( I hope lol). Any suggestions or something I am not thinking about please let me know.

Thanks
General admission ticket includes access to everywhere except hot pits and general parking pass gets you everywhere except pit area and north paddock. Some people to drive around from area to area and there are shuttles but best mode of transportation is walking. My son is 13* and this will be our 4th year going and we walk over 10 miles each day. Just bring some camping chairs and a small cooler for some cold drinks, walk to a corner, watch some racing, and then move on.

*For Daytona this weekend and Sebring this year my son is only 12 so I don't have to buy him a ticket.

And if you are a PCA member, head the the Porsche Corral to get out of the sun, rest, grab some cold drinks, and possibly win some cool prizes.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:59 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks
Would suggest flying into West Palm Beach and staying in Okeechobee - unless you have accomadations right in Sebring. The drive from Okeechobee is very easy - only 1 stop light on the entire route - a very rural state route. The drive from Orlando can be a grind.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:52 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Thanks we are flying in so I may buy a small
cooler and some chairs when we land!!
Old 01-26-2018, 12:02 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Thanks we are flying in so I may buy a small
cooler and some chairs when we land!!
Swing by the Walmart in Sebring and pick up a Backpack cooler which will hold some adult beverages for you and some beverages for your son. Feel free to PM me for my mobile number if you want to meet up since my 12/13 year old son as well as some other friends with boys his age will be with us.

Ozark Trail Backpack Cooler
Old 01-27-2018, 12:21 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsabatini
Swing by the Walmart in Sebring and pick up a Backpack cooler which will hold some adult beverages for you and some beverages for your son. Feel free to PM me for my mobile number if you want to meet up since my 12/13 year old son as well as some other friends with boys his age will be with us.

Ozark Trail Backpack Cooler
thanks trying to square up plans this week, any hotel recommendations?
Old 01-27-2018, 09:22 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Oh, boy.

Most of the places closer than at least 1 hour away are booked solid from year to year. There are some dives that occasionally have rooms that open up, but I wouldn’t want to count on that.

Typically, this event draws almost 100,000 people over the course of the week, plus huge numbers of rooms required for crew, support staff, race organizers, etc.

It IS the largest professional sports car race in North America and many folks in attendance don’t even know there’s a race going on! <grin> Spring break, kids hangout and aging hippies that have been going for decades (Green Park and Turn 10 come to mind).

The post referencing staying south of the track sounds like good advice, because North on US 27 is a slog and the most common place for snow birds to look for rooms.

I had to come down a few years ago at the last minute and both the rates I had to pay an hour North (and the commute) were absurd. I try and stay with friends who live (or have a house) in Sebring, when I can.The old Skip Barber Instructor network still pays dividends!

Good luck! It’s so much more than just a race, it’s a happening. And you will see stuff you don’t see anywhere else, not Daytona, not Petit, not anywhere!

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-27-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:37 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 519 Posts

Look at least an hour away, or rent an RV and camp at the track.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:12 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

We rent RV spot 67 at turn 1 every year. If you want to buy a North Paddock parking pass, there is plenty of room to pitch a tent near our spot and you can hang with us as a base and enjoy my wife’s legendary trackside hospitality. As someone else mentioned, walking is the best way to navigate. It’s really too congested to drive much. Walking is fun. Keep my cell if you end up coming down. 321 443-1562.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:32 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 667 Likes on 322 Posts

Mark nice offer good people of Suncoast Region PCA "It is the people" see you at the 12 hour are you coming out to the 48 hour club race if so stop by I will be paddocked on the back concrete closer to turn 16 then 17.
Rich
Old 01-27-2018, 06:37 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Hey Rich, check the roster. I'm driving in the F class races!
Old 01-28-2018, 12:25 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
We rent RV spot 67 at turn 1 every year. If you want to buy a North Paddock parking pass, there is plenty of room to pitch a tent near our spot and you can hang with us as a base and enjoy my wife’s legendary trackside hospitality. As someone else mentioned, walking is the best way to navigate. It’s really too congested to drive much. Walking is fun. Keep my cell if you end up coming down. 321 443-1562.
Thanks so much, appreciate it. I am doing some research, right now 90% sure we are coming down.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:22 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Living in Tampa, we either head down for the day on Saturday, or, the past 3 years my son and I camp at the track. Maybe try Lake Wales and Bartow for hotels? Lake Wales is about 40 miles north of Sebring and Bartow is another 15 miles west of Lake Wales. Bartow and Lake Wales are between Tampa and Sebring. Also check out hotels along I-75 in Bradenton/Sarasota area which is south of Tampa and about an hour west of Sebring.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 12 Hours of Sebring questions