Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Cayman PDK for trackdays?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018 | 11:39 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

I get how a bespoke kit all figured out and tested can be $3k. But for a cooler? Why can't a lesser $300 Setrab plate cooler do the job? Don't you just need one big enough with enough cooling capacity? Is there something special about cooling PDK's?
Old 01-25-2018 | 12:29 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I track my 981S and love it. I trailer it most places now even though it is still street legal.
Adjustable Control arms up front and a good rack alignment (Camber/Toe) made a huge difference from when I started tracking the car "pre mods".
Just be aware that once you go that route, the money will start burning holes in your pockets as you slide down that slippery slope.
The expenses begin to come fast and furious once you are tracking it on a regular basis,
Worth every penny for sure.
Good luck, be safe, and drive it like ya stole it....
Old 01-25-2018 | 02:09 AM
djm68
Racer

I have a 2012 Cayman R PDK that sees a bit of time on the track. I was one of the first to get the BGB cooler installed and it certainly helps with engine oil/water temps. I run an AIM Solo DL wired into the CAN bus so I can monitor temps in real time; with the PDK cooler, engine oil/water temps still rise, but much slower. Generally, 20 minutes sessions are manageable, but not much longer. The BGB cooler only cools to diff oil, which reduces the heat transfer from the diff, to the gear box, and in turn to the engine.

Keep in mind there are 2 variants of PDK for the 987.2: factory equipped with the LSD and non-LSD. If you think you will ever upgrade to an aftermarket LSD (Guard, OSGilken) you are better off starting with a PDK that was factory equipped with an LSD. The factory equipped LSD cars has a larger differential area allowing a larger LSD diff unit that runs cooler.

A thorough discussion of the topic can be found here: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ng-issues.html

BTW: The cooler in 981's is not much help and is well documented to not offer useful cooling under track conditions.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 01-26-2018 | 03:34 PM
gman3280
Pro

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I get how a bespoke kit all figured out and tested can be $3k. But for a cooler? Why can't a lesser $300 Setrab plate cooler do the job? Don't you just need one big enough with enough cooling capacity? Is there something special about cooling PDK's?
Nothing special that I can see. Way too expensive for what the kit contains from a pure parts standpoint. I'm willing to overpay when I DIY things knowing its a proven solution and all the pieces fit together.
Old 01-26-2018 | 06:52 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

I have the /Guard diff in my 981. I had CTS (Cervelli) install a diff cooler (oil to water) and it works well. Just like everything else Cervelli does. Outer casing temps on the diff run roughly 200F max after a hard session.
I agree on the 3rd cooler not being very effective for hard track use. That's one reason I went to the GT4 nose because you get a larger rad with much better venting. The venting area on the OEM 3rd radiator on the 981 is not very good.
FWIW

Quick Reply: Used Cayman PDK for trackdays?