Sponsored by:

GT Road Car / Race Car Similarities

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 04:55 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GT Road Car / Race Car Similarities

Hi everyone. The 24 Hours of Daytona is next weekend and I will have my eyes glued to the TV set. With the recent additions to the GT4 categories, I'm actually more excited about who wins their classes than who wins overall! However, based on all this factory money pouring into the GT categories, especially in GT3 and GTLM, I find myself asking how much of what I'm seeing is marketing vs. actually watching OEM street car parts fly around the track. I've written off GTLM as this hybrid between prototype racing and GT racing.

Question: Does anyone have enough familiarity with the GT3 / GT4 cars to summarize which cars are the closest to their street going versions, or are they all pretty much similar? I've read about Ferrari, for example, modifying the chassis extensively so they can mount the engine, intercoolers, and transmission lower down than the street 488. To me, that's a huge departure. Audi are claiming that something like over 50% of all the parts on the R8s come right off a street car...but is that the norm? Any information would be helpful!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Not much the same . Even if it is a street part most of the time its modified.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Dionvm24
Former Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Enduro911!

So glad to hear you so pumped on GT4 - although they are racing in the race on Friday, not in the 24 hour. The GT3 vehicles utilize the exact same chassis, and engines from the street cars. In the earlier editions of the GT3 platform (2012-2015) the cars didn't depart much from the street cars other than suspension being made racing parts and stuff like that, but the core of it and engine position was the same as on the street car. In recent years manufactures can definitely make slight adjustments, for instance the motor on the new R8 is lower, and I'm sure other manufactures have made similar changes.

In GT4 the cars are extremely similar to the road going cars. The engines can not be moved, the chassis is definitely the same. More of the suspension and electronics are also right out of the street car. Hope that helps a little bit!
Old 01-23-2018, 01:28 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Customer of mine has 3 GT4 mustangs that we are running in PWC. Multimatic will be using one of them in Friday's daytona race. They are very similar to the street cars in terms of chassis. Full sequential transmissions are quite honestly the biggest difference.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:46 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys! Good to hear that they haven't wandered too far away from production specs. If racing is the ultimate test of what you sell, then race what you sell (if possible!). So I guess when I ask the question of whether one is more simliar (or different) to the street specs than the rest, the answer would be no?

PorscheDoc, those Mustangs sound fantastic. Really a wicked roar now that they've got that flat plane crank.

Quick Reply: GT Road Car / Race Car Similarities