Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering a race car with dmv?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Don't get so hung up on titles if you have other proof of ownership. All I have for my car are some cancelled checks, Do you think pro teams have titles for their cars?

The only time this might be an issue is traveling outside of the country.
one of the cars I am looking at from a race team is sold on bill of sale...

new territory for me...

with a cheap car it's not a big issue... Would worry me with a high dollar car... Isn't the last person legally with a title still in a position to say the car is theirs? Assuming the car originally was a streetcar? I could see a bill of sale on an Indy car... But a late model race car? No issues?
Old 01-24-2018, 01:57 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

If it's from a race team, I doubt there is a title.
If you have a bill of sale, it proves you bought it.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:48 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
one of the cars I am looking at from a race team is sold on bill of sale...

new territory for me...

with a cheap car it's not a big issue... Would worry me with a high dollar car... Isn't the last person legally with a title still in a position to say the car is theirs? Assuming the car originally was a streetcar? I could see a bill of sale on an Indy car... But a late model race car? No issues?
If the car had a title, you just have them sign the back of the title and hand it over. If they say no title is available, then you have consider whether or not you're comfortable with only a signed bill of sale. What you're hearing repeatedly on this thread is that most people buying track only cars are comfortable with a bill of sale only.

Fortunately I have titles to both of the non registered track only cars that I own/co-own.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:03 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I was talking to my guy (who I purchased my cup from, most of you would know him) and I asked him about title for a cup. He said no matter how you purchase one (either directly from Porsche or second hand from a race team) there will be no title due to the nature of the car. Bill of sale only.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. Bought a car today, bill of sale only...
Old 02-01-2018, 02:22 AM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed not one person from WI responded. You can generally drive anything anywhere until scrutinized by LEO. There is generally zero reason other than time and $$ (lol) a modern car shouldnt have a title. Its just got to be worth more and anything other than in a parade see the street so should be worth less to you and your wants. There are a dozen plus ways in TX to get a title, and at least 3 kinds of auto titles. You should look into it for yours and its just worth that much more.
B.O.S shows you paid for it. A titles shows you are the latest rightful owner and can sell it
Old 02-01-2018, 02:33 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I was talking to my guy (who I purchased my cup from, most of you would know him) and I asked him about title for a cup. He said no matter how you purchase one (either directly from Porsche or second hand from a race team) there will be no title due to the nature of the car. Bill of sale only.
Correct, any factory race car (not road legal) will not have an official 17 digit vin, will not have a title. They may still have a race car type vin, but simply for tracking the chassis. For instance, our GT4 mustangs have GT4-00X depending on the chassis number. The 302R's we raced were BOSS 302R 00X

Quick Reply: Registering a race car with dmv?