Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering a race car with dmv?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:20 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your best bet is to contact your state authorities as most of these issues will vary state to state. But, to get you started, here is Wisconsin's website that allows you to "title a vehicle in your name but does not allow you to register it with license plates for operation in Wisconsin."
http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/online...nly-no-op.aspx
Old 01-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In NJ, I transferred the title, but didn't register the car (which I intended to turn into a non-street legal racecar).

I had to pay the sales tax on the car, but I was willing to do this to have a title so I was comfortable driving to Mosport in Canada.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:16 PM
GSM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a direct answer for you since you are in WI, but can relate what I did in IL to register and drive a track car on the street. I purchased an e36 M3 for which I received title and registered as a street car since i drive it to track days (don't have a truck & trailer - yet!). To get around the emissions testing requirement in Cook county I applied for, and received, an exemption. The way it works is that you go to the Illinois Air Team website and there is a place where you can attest that your car will only be driven to and from "sporting events". It takes 5 minutes to apply, costs nothing, and I got a response inside of 48hrs. There may be a similar program in the state of WI. For those of you in IL the website is:

http://illinoisairteam.net/waivers-e...ns-extensions/

To OP - take look at the website that Bill Nye posted above.

Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2018, 07:31 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can just simply title the car in your name, you do not need to register it (where emissions would come into play). Some states will issue an off road title for these sorts of things, some just issue a regular title. No big deal, just call your DMV and ask.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, great info... Will go to the dmv and talk to them, but historically they have been useless. Sigh.

bill, the web link you provided talks about in state title transfers... The cars I am looking at are all in Illinois...

will look into the exemptions for events...

bo
Old 01-21-2018, 09:08 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
looking at some fully caged miatas, bmw's and 944s... Will likely buy one this week...

how does one transfer ownership assuming you want/need a title?

wisconsin dmv requires emmisions testing within 45 days of getting title. I have no intention of driving it on the street, but do want a title... None of the cars I am looking at will pass emmisions, no cats/etc. I can add a cat, but who knows it that will work. Most of these cars have been stripped of any emmissions equipment.

do you just transfer registration but never do emmissions?

can you tell the state it's a race car for of road use? I don't see that option anywhere on dmv websites...

how do you transfer ownership? I am sure the seller doesn't want it remaining in their name...

any my issues getting stp insurance on a nonregistered car? What about race cars sold on bill of sale only?

thanks... Help appreciated. A dedicated track car is new territory for me
Transfer title/register in Montana. Some people like to be able to drive their car to the shop or gas station or just drive it around the block.
https://www.49dollarmontanaregisteredagent.com
Old 01-22-2018, 08:06 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Transfer title/register in Montana. Some people like to be able to drive their car to the shop or gas station or just drive it around the block.
https://www.49dollarmontanaregisteredagent.com
would love to be able to drive and get gas or road test it after tuning...

how i.e. does one do that with a fully caged car?

thats one of my concerns about getting a real caged car... Makes simple things like a quick test ride after a repair impossible... How does one road test a race car? You don't want to show up an a hpde with an unknown fix...
Old 01-22-2018, 08:56 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

thats one of my concerns about getting a real caged car... Makes simple things like a quick test ride after a repair impossible... How does one road test a race car? You don't want to show up an a hpde with an unknown fix...
That's a risk. I have a membership at the track so I try to use my member days to shake car down. Otherwise, I just have to assume that my repairs were sound.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:31 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GSM
I don't have a direct answer for you since you are in WI, but can relate what I did in IL to register and drive a track car on the street. I purchased an e36 M3 for which I received title and registered as a street car since i drive it to track days (don't have a truck & trailer - yet!). To get around the emissions testing requirement in Cook county I applied for, and received, an exemption. The way it works is that you go to the Illinois Air Team website and there is a place where you can attest that your car will only be driven to and from "sporting events". It takes 5 minutes to apply, costs nothing, and I got a response inside of 48hrs. There may be a similar program in the state of WI. For those of you in IL the website is:

http://illinoisairteam.net/waivers-e...ns-extensions/

To OP - take look at the website that Bill Nye posted above.

Good Luck!
love it...
I'm going to a...soccer game...football game...company softball game...kids little league game...Turkey trot...marathon...yea that's it...just Google sporting events in your area as they light you up...this is awesome...time to register a cup there!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:10 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Aside from registering, you need liability insurance before you put it in contact with the public.

Dedicated car: I may idle around the neighborhood just to get things turning, but for serious repairs, I try to find a club day or other casual event to drop in on.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:35 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

In Illinois you can transfer the title to your name if you want to pay the sales tax on the purchase, Emission testing is tied to the plates so if you don't plate the car there is no issues with emission testing
Old 01-23-2018, 09:55 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You don't legally. This is where you take the step from daily driver to dedicated off road vehicle, and it isn't easy to manage sometimes for cases like this. Sometimes you blow a track event tweaking or working on the car at the track. When we need to do serious setup/testing on a build, we rent the track during the week for a half day or day. Even if the car was registered and insured for street use, the cage will technically make it illegal to drive on the street. Can you do it, sure, but most state laws prohibit rollcages on street licensed vehicles (at least from the nomenclature i have found in states i have lived in, though rollbar only nomenclature on the other hand tend to be legal)......but you get in an accident and your head hits the rollbar without a helmet and its all over for you.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:45 AM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

In NY you can do title only and not register and plate the car
Old 01-23-2018, 03:06 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,106 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Don't get so hung up on titles if you have other proof of ownership. All I have for my car are some cancelled checks, Do you think pro teams have titles for their cars?

The only time this might be an issue is traveling outside of the country.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:47 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

What Luigi said. A lot of Cup cars don't even have titles.

Quick Reply: Registering a race car with dmv?