Sponsored by:

Suspension Upgrade vis PSM

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 08:57 PM
bldn10
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Suspension Upgrade vis PSM

I have a pretty fast D.E. car (987.1 w/ 3.8 X51) and I drive it pretty hard but I learned to drive it w/ the PSM on. It is intrusive on many corner exits, just not letting me go WOT when I'm ready to. Of course, it's probably saving my *** too! The only suspension mods are that I elongated the front upper shock mounting holes to get -2.5* camber and PSS9s. I drive on R-comps or slicks. So, on one hand I have been wanting to wean myself off PSM, assuming I will be faster thereby, and on the other hand, upgrading the suspension a notch, probably sway bars and links. I will be adding some aero, a GT4 wing and Cup-type splitter. Would tightening up the suspension not make the PSM intrusion worse? And make it more difficult to kick the PSMioid addiction? I.e. which should I do first?
Old 01-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Disconnect yaw sensor and get rid of the PSM.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:33 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 183 Posts

I mostly drive with it on but if I'm on a familiar track and having a good session where I've warmed up and feel comfortable I will turn it off.
It's still on BTW, but if supposedly if your yaw sensor is beyond a certain level and apply the brake it will engage. Luckily I haven't found that out.
I can go faster without it. I was leading a friend of mine around the local track and she was staying with me for several laps.
I turned off PSM and gained considerable ground on her within a lap. It feels mush smoother w/o it. You can power out of corners
smoother but... If you mess up... you'll know it.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:09 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

My 987.1 had a well developed suspension and I always drove on track with PSM off. Occasionally I would forget to turn it off and intrusion was significant. I suggest you run the suspension as is but always make sure PSM is off. Once you get used to how the car is reacting, consider a permanent solution.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:32 AM
bldn10
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks, everyone. Bill, my thinking was the same as yours - don't introduce 2 changes at the same time. I suppose I'll have to be more careful, smoother, and a little slower for awhile to ultimately go faster.
In the general discussion about nannies, let me throw in the possibility that these modern cars are engineered to be driven w/ them. I.e. like modern fighter planes that are virtually unflyable w/o computer flight controls, but more maneuverable by being inherently unstable.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 183 Posts

To a point, yes but they're also pushed outside of that engineering design on the track with a street car. The car won't be any less stable but it will require you to be smoother.
On turn exit you'll need to aply smooth throttle because the PSM won't diminish the power. My mechanic was the first to tell me it was time to turn it off.
He is a former racer and I was having some rear end skirmish under hard braking at the end of the straight one weekend. I asked him to check all of my bushings and alignment.
He found that, most likely due to PSM, I had cooked the rear brakes and so too much front bias was shifting the weight forward too much.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:14 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Disconnect yaw sensor and get rid of the PSM.
+1. It's snooping around even when you don't think it is.

The other problem is that with an open diff, you get tons of wheel spin, and that sets PSM off too. Adding a proper LSD is also a massively overlooked performance upgrade for this chassis. I really, really like a Giken in this car.

I have a friend who has almost an identical setup to yours, re-sprung PSS9's, the full aero package, Pirelli slicks (or nittos), etc. etc., but it's got the standard open diff, and the yaw sensor still connected. Burnt red rear calipers too. I drove it recently to lay down some reference laps for him, and while it's still really balanced, I sorely missed having and LSD, and get a decent amount of wheel spin. You're giving up precious time and performance. More stability, and less wheel spin = less PSM intrusion. Keep that in mind. You can keep adding aero and other goodies, but when you go around a corner, one wheel needs to turn faster than the other. The open diff is the big source of most 987.1 problems, IMO.

It's not a glory mod you can see everyday as you look at your car in the garage, but you sure can appreciate it on track.

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade vis PSM