Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alonso sees Daytona for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:38 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

It finally got above 50 degrees F late this afternoon. It was fun watching brakes lock up on the first lap, or rear ends squirm with cold tires and little grip. It was surprising how much grip/heat they had after only one lap (or probably less than a full lap).

Tomorrow will be about the same temps. Sunday will be a bit warmer and into the 60’s. No precip predicted.

We didn’t bother going this morning when it was in the 30’s. I was wondering if they delayed things or if they drove anyway despite super cold temps. Great vantage points today as hardly anyone was there. I assume tomorrow will be busier.

Any RL’ers there? Saw several nice Porsches in various places.

Don’t know who they belong to but sure looked nice^
Old 01-05-2018, 08:39 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hah! His lap average, over the few laps he's done so far, is quicker than Montoya!
The guy can wheel better then anyone in the planet at the moment, imo.
Not to derail the thread, but Ferrari and Mclaren have wasted his talent. Not to say his decisions to join said teams was perhaps not the most wise but we don't know internally what happened to convince him to join either.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:42 AM
Formulabob
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 32 Posts
Default First Day of the ROAR

Alonso will need all of his skills — the car looked to be a handful. Definitely lacking grip compared to the fastest cars. Penske cars looked slow everywhere. Hard to determine the real pecking order as most teams sandbag/hotlap at the ROAR. Perhaps Sunday “qualifying” will bring out the true pace.

Three standouts for me: 1) first day pace of the two Porsche GTLMs, 2) outstanding braking performance of the Corvette GTLMs, and 3) amazing variety of pricey alignment equipment in team garages. Random observations — the BMW GTLMs were the biggest sandbaggers (as usual), Porsches were the best sounding cars, and Ford GTs the worst sounding but also the best looking.

Bob L
Old 01-06-2018, 01:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
The guy can wheel better then anyone in the planet at the moment, imo.
Not to derail the thread, but Ferrari and Mclaren have wasted his talent. Not to say his decisions to join said teams was perhaps not the most wise but we don't know internally what happened to convince him to join either.
I like that despite only 22 laps, he finished less than .5 seconds off (one half) of Autosport Driver of the year and perhaps one of the best British talents to come along in awhile, Lando Norris.

Norris has quite a bit more time in the car and, if you look at the lap delta between them from first to second Friday session, not long before Alonso matches and perhaps eclipses him.

Agreed the P2 cars (as opposed to the DPi cars) are at the greatest disadvantage at this flat out, trimmed out track. Kudos to Jeff Braun, Colin Braun and Jon Bennett for sticking that Ligier right up there!
Old 01-06-2018, 01:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Formulabob
Random observations — the BMW GTLMs were the biggest sandbaggers (as usual), Porsches were the best sounding cars, and Ford GTs the worst sounding but also the best looking.

Bob L
Thanks for the post from trackside!

Session 3 sees Alonso eclipse Norris’ mark from yesterday (by a tenth) and Fords P1/P2 in GT/LM...

There may be more sandbagging in GT classes than the P car’s, based on lap times, but the additional logging capability and forensic analysis now mandated and practiced by IMSA has everyone a lot happier. And almost impossible to sandbag, unless you “tune out” the car (big wicker, tunnel blocks, etc.).
Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

not to hijack, but whats up with the AMG Benzs? seems all of them had little pace all event. i know they were delivered rather late to teams..... so just the learning curve? or something more organic....or sandbagging

the cayman gt4s beat them handily..

fran
Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I don't know how everyone else feels but I enjoy a race on TV so much more if I have driven the track. Having driven at Daytona several times now I enjoy the 24 so much more now.

Personally, I have had nothing but heart brake and bad luck during my races at Daytona and it is still one my favorite tracks to drive. Not every track has to be overly technical to be enjoyed. There is just something about man-handling the car around the track that I love. Diving into turn 1 is like landing on an aircraft carrier. I love it!

I am rooting heavily for Alonso and also wishing Scott Pruett good luck in his last appearance.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:09 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I don't know how everyone else feels but I enjoy a race on TV so much more if I have driven the track. Having driven at Daytona several times now I enjoy the 24 so much more now.

Personally, I have had nothing but heart brake and bad luck during my races at Daytona and it is still one my favorite tracks to drive. Not every track has to be overly technical to be enjoyed. There is just something about man-handling the car around the track that I love. Diving into turn 1 is like landing on an aircraft carrier. I love it!

I am rooting heavily for Alonso and also wishing Scott Pruett good luck in his last appearance.

I agree, the same was true for watching a golf tournament on a course that has been played. Doesn't seem to matter for a lot of other sports though.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Geneman
not to hijack, but whats up with the AMG Benzs? seems all of them had little pace all event. i know they were delivered rather late to teams..... so just the learning curve? or something more organic....or sandbagging

the cayman gt4s beat them handily..

fran
New car blues... The Mustangs and Cayman MR's are really sorted. Have a year under them. The Mercedes and BMW? Not so much. Even the MacLaren's not going that well.

http://results.imsa.com/Results/18_2...20Practice.PDF
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-07-2018, 05:25 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I definitely agree with you on this. When you have driven on a track you have a much better feel for the challenges the drivers are facing.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:53 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Bring your big boy pants to Daytona if you think it's a boring track. It scares you and it bites very hard.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:53 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

.....which is why, though I for the most part can't stand NASCAR, I watch 'em every year at the Glen......and also whatever races I'm able to watch at Mid-O and Mosport.

Though I do find it somewhat frustrating that, from watching available in-car footage, those cars seem to go wherever they are pointed (the Indycars at Mid-O are just ridiculous) whereas my car, well, doesn't.

But I'll bet I'm having more fun than they are!

Gary
Old 01-07-2018, 05:55 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Bring your big boy pants to Daytona if you think it's a boring track. It scares you and it bites very hard.
Sounds like Mosport

Gary
Old 01-07-2018, 06:00 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Sounds like Mosport

Gary
2x in corner 3 for me!
Old 01-07-2018, 06:06 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seanseidman
2x in corner 3 for me!
Did you run out of brakes on entry or run out of track on exit? Or both?

Quick Reply: Alonso sees Daytona for the first time