Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Driver Education events for the SUV crowd???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 08:15 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
I disagree. I think the Macan is pretty cool. I like the GTS. I don’t think they come with tampons in the glovebox.
agree... maybe im biased. i will be tracking my gts this year though.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,006 Likes on 601 Posts

Never been to an event for just SUV, but I did 145 mph in a Cayenne Turbo S into the Bus Stop at Watkins Glen.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:47 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

I've got a suggestion for you. Try a winter driving school. SUVs are welcome. You will have a ball and will learn a ton around car control.

Since I'm the VP and Co-CI I'll make a pitch that you come to an Audi Club NEQ Chapter event. We generally run three WDS schools up around the Albany area on a frozen lake. Since we need the cooperation of Mother Nature to run the event the timing remains a bit up-in-the-air but there is generally good advanced warning of a few weeks. The events are relatively low cost and we generally run a fun time-trial at the end of the day. Check out NEQclub.org and we post events on Motorsportreg.com as/when they are open for registration. They do fill up pretty quickly note.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:51 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
I've got a suggestion for you. Try a winter driving school. SUVs are welcome. You will have a ball and will learn a ton around car control.

Since I'm the VP and Co-CI I'll make a pitch that you come to an Audi Club NEQ Chapter event. We generally run three WDS schools up around the Albany area on a frozen lake. Since we need the cooperation of Mother Nature to run the event the timing remains a bit up-in-the-air but there is generally good advanced warning of a few weeks. The events are relatively low cost and we generally run a fun time-trial at the end of the day. Check out NEQclub.org and we post events on Motorsportreg.com as/when they are open for registration. They do fill up pretty quickly note.
That sounds like a ton of fun.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have only done a few laps in the X5M, but it is capable of getting around the track pretty well. This picture was taking already I had tracked down a GT4 and GT4 CS....
Old 01-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

We had a Macan GTS accidentally get into our fall HPDC last year (normally that wouldn't be allowed but the paperwork wasn't filled in well so we didn't know it was a Macan until he showed up). The vehicle did quite well on a technical track... and then ran out of brake pad by lunch time.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:55 AM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

That's just mean Mike... Reason for the question was a member of my region asked about having a DE style event for the SUVs. I thought that could be interesting as the Macan and Cayenne are not Jeeps and Suburbans nor are they meant to be. And I wanted to see if anyone had heard of anything like that.

I just got a 2008 CTT it's pretty stout and could be up for track duty. Heck a bunch of us together on track would be interesting. Maybe fun for those pulling trailers to get theirs on track for a session.

I know the SUV crowd has become a large part of the brand sales and could be a "new" track and money base for some clubs.

BTW, I'm the DE registrar for the Niagara Region
Old 01-04-2018, 09:09 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,006 Likes on 601 Posts

Just remember they are still heavy and follow physics. Most people will be on the stability a lot.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:18 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan

I’m betting you’ve got all the cooperation you need this winter (so far)!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

More than once, the OnStar lady has come on in the middle of bouncing off the curbs at VIR’s climbing esses at 105 mph, asking “Mr. Krause, you’ve registered g-forces outside the normal range. Do you need assistance?” 2:38 with seven passengers is the record. So far...
Old 01-04-2018, 10:05 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hinchcliffe
That's just mean Mike... Reason for the question was a member of my region asked about having a DE style event for the SUVs. I thought that could be interesting as the Macan and Cayenne are not Jeeps and Suburbans nor are they meant to be. And I wanted to see if anyone had heard of anything like that.

I just got a 2008 CTT it's pretty stout and could be up for track duty. Heck a bunch of us together on track would be interesting. Maybe fun for those pulling trailers to get theirs on track for a session.

I know the SUV crowd has become a large part of the brand sales and could be a "new" track and money base for some clubs.

BTW, I'm the DE registrar for the Niagara Region
Hey Curt, as a former CTT owner, it’s all in fun. I actually took my tow P!G out on Lime Rock during a rainstorm several years ago when running with CVR. Then got my *** chewed out by the CI. Had a blast while out there. Loved the CTT and enjoyed it as my tow P!G, but still not sold on its baby brother. Why not gauge interest and try a single run group of the 4 door P cars at one of your events?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
More than once, the OnStar lady has come on in the middle of bouncing off the curbs at VIR’s climbing esses at 105 mph, asking “Mr. Krause, you’ve registered g-forces outside the normal range. Do you need assistance?” 2:38 with seven passengers is the record. So far...
Haha that also happened to be at COTA and TWS when I still had the Suburban 2500. Hasn't happened yet in the LS, thankfully
Old 01-04-2018, 10:30 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

OMG, I'd be yelling newly-made-up swear words--THAT'S where video would be priceless!!

And I hope you supply sick bags for your vict.., er, passengers, Peter

Gary
Old 01-04-2018, 10:34 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I've instructed a BMW X5M at a local track here. It handled like a big car with tons of power and AWD. Surprisingly the stock brakes didn't give up but the student was taking it fairly easy. We've had a SUV flip over at another local track with a sharp back and forth section called the rattlesnake. They banned SUV's and trucks after that incident.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
I don't understand the question... I've never heard of SUV track events, and I cant imagine what you would do if they are out there...

Are you talking about tactical driving courses?
Plenty to do in these courses with SUVs. Always wanted to try them as they look like a ton of fun and a great learning experience.

https://www.bsr-inc.com/training-courses/

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Driver Education events for the SUV crowd???