Track Apps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 12:29 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Track Apps?

Happy new year all!

Any suggestions on a free/inexpensive track app I can use for my first HPDE in January? I don't need anything sophisticated the first go round - just want the basics to be able to see if I improve over the course of the day. I'd appreciate if anyone could suggest a decent iPhone app that would give me what I'm looking for without spending much. Maybe no such thing exists but I don't want to spend $$$ before I figure out if I like tracking in the first place.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 12-31-2017, 12:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

What kind of car? I find the oem apps the best, but HLT is good, too.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:37 PM
Rhythmaddict
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use track addict with a $20 obd connection via Bluetooth. You can get all sorts of data this way, and use your phone for video if you don't want to buy a GoPro yet (you'd want a phone mount for this though, $7 bucks or so on Amazon)

Happy to give you more details if you need.

Here is a sample though in using a GoPro (2) and $50 software in addition to the above...
Old 12-31-2017, 12:49 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

I have used various ones....I found Track Addict to work the best of all of them. Harry's Laptimer is popular but I found it very buggy and it would frequently drop it's connection to my OBD dongle or to my GoPro in the middle of a track session, also it would frequently miss the start/finish GPS. Also with Harry's you cannot test it's function on the street (at least I never figured out how to). You can test TrackAddict anywhere to get everything working.

If you don't have to have the OBD data then I recommend just run a GoPro mounted on the side of your helmet with a windshield phone mount. Run RaceChrono lap timer app on your phone...you can see it in your GoPro video if it's on the windshield). I like the camera mounted behind the driver so you can see your hand positions, your shifting, and sometimes if the light is right you can see your gauges. If you run a GoPro make sure you set your Spot meter correctly for filming out a window (I can't remember if it's off or on...it's the opposite of the default).

Oh and if you use Track Addict you'll need the Race Render (free) PC software to produce your video afterwards.

I'm far enough into this stuff now that this winter I bought a Solo II and SmartyCamHD setup from Peter Krause her on the forum. Will be installing that before spring. No more phone apps for me.

Here's a video with that GoPro helmet cam setup w/ RaceChrono on the dash....this was my favorite setup (but does not give OBD data) mostly b/c it's so simple and easy to run:

Here is my TrackAddict setup controlling my GoPro via WiFi and running an OBD input dongle via Bluetooth (different car - Lotus), I did PiP on this one using the phone camera pointing back at me...so TrackAddict controls the GoPro as the main video but also captures PiP video from the camera on the phone (requires the right phone position on the dash of course):
Old 12-31-2017, 12:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I have used various ones....I found Track Addict to work the best of all of them. Harry's Laptimer is popular but I found it very buggy and it would frequently drop it's connection to my OBD dongle or to my GoPro in the middle of a track session, also it would frequently miss the start/finish GPS. Also with Harry's you cannot test it's function on the street (at least I never figured out how to). You can test TrackAddict anywhere to get everything working.

If you don't have to have the OBD data then I recommend just run a GoPro mounted on the side of your helmet with a windshield phone mount. Run RaceChrono lap timer app on your phone...you can see it in your GoPro then. I like the camera mounted behind the driver so you can see your hand positions, your shifting, and sometimes if the light is right you can see your gauges. If you run a GoPro make sure you set your Spot meter correctly for filming out a window (I can't remember if it's off or on...it's the opposite of the default).

Oh and if you use Track Addict you'll need the Race Render (free) PC software to produce your video afterwards.

I'm far enough into this stuff now that this winter I bought a Solo II and SmartyCamHD setup from Peter Krause here on the forum. Will be installing that before spring. No more phone apps for me.
Ah yes, the slippery slope! Nick, let me know when you're installing and we can talk about how best to use it.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-31-2017, 01:29 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

First off, I'll predict you WILL like it. Second, if it is your first DE don't worry about a Track app but mount a camera inside the car that shows your steering wheel and the track ahead. Bring a tire pressure gauge and a torque wrench and have fun!
Old 12-31-2017, 05:09 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
First off, I'll predict you WILL like it. Second, if it is your first DE don't worry about a Track app but mount a camera inside the car that shows your steering wheel and the track ahead. Bring a tire pressure gauge and a torque wrench and have fun!
This I can do! I'll steal my daughter's GoPro and set it up. I'll be in an 04 996TT so no OEM apps through the car.

Have to be honest - the apps/video/software/editing is not my strength at all. My eyes sort of glaze over and I'm always impressed with folks who just "get" how to do all the tech stuff.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

As long as you have video with measures on it, that’s what people can really benefit from.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:14 PM
Rhythmaddict
Instructor

Originally Posted by leftlane
This I can do! I'll steal my daughter's GoPro and set it up. I'll be in an 04 996TT so no OEM apps through the car.

Have to be honest - the apps/video/software/editing is not my strength at all. My eyes sort of glaze over and I'm always impressed with folks who just "get" how to do all the tech stuff.
Let me know if you change your mind and want to do the video/data stuff. I swear it's pretty easy.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:02 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

For starters, I recommend Harry's Laptimer. It's a simple phone app ($20) and gets you the basics (car speed, lap times etc). If you pair it with an OBD dongle you will get additional car info such as rpm, gear engaged and throttle position. It's a simple setup. If you want video, get a windshield mount and use your phone as a video recorder. More than enough for your first event.

For a first event, I would caution you to be careful to avoid having your focus be on your lap times and speed instead of the in-car instruction you will get.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:01 PM
cashmancab
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^ Extremely important point. Sometimes going for that extra second can be the difference from having an awesome weekend to have having your worst weekend. If you use an app, focus on the driving technique and not the time. The time will come with improved technique. FYI - I use Harry's.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:34 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try Harry's Lap Timer. I used to use it and thought it was really well designed and a great value for around $30. Works great on an iPhone.

You can get GPS lap times, segment times, and video, which is all you need for your first track days.

If you have a Go Pro, mount that to your helmet. With Harry's Lap Timer, you can get video shot through the iPhone, but the problem is that you'll have to get a secure dash mount for your car. That can be distracting, and even a secure dash mount fall off. Also, the video takes up a ton of storage on your phone.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:55 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
For starters, I recommend Harry's Laptimer. It's a simple phone app ($20) and gets you the basics (car speed, lap times etc). If you pair it with an OBD dongle you will get additional car info such as rpm, gear engaged and throttle position. It's a simple setup. If you want video, get a windshield mount and use your phone as a video recorder. More than enough for your first event.

For a first event, I would caution you to be careful to avoid having your focus be on your lap times and speed instead of the in-car instruction you will get.
Exactly this for your first time out, both the Harrys Lap Timer and the caution recommendation.

Realize you were asking for free, but $30-40 for an app and a phone holder is a rounding error in the grand scheme of things, even if you never get back out (which im betting a $100 will NOT happen).

Good luck!

Old 01-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

I will offer a somewhat different opinion here. If this is your first HPDE experience, I would spend 100% of my effort and energy listening to your instructor and focusing on the very basics (coming prepared by getting familiar with the track layout, reading and understanding your clubs intro driving manual, getting enough sleep before, staying hydrated, etc.)

Other than having a souvenir, video and data is the last thing you need on your first time(s) out. Many students will struggle to know and drive a 'line', identify all flaggers and safety flags, avoid abrupt inputs, and manage passing and traffic - at least in the early events.

Just my opinion. Focus on the basics to start and you will have a great time! It's a journey.

Cheers

Matt
Old 01-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Rhythmaddict
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
I will offer a somewhat different opinion here. If this is your first HPDE experience, I would spend 100% of my effort and energy listening to your instructor and focusing on the very basics (coming prepared by getting familiar with the track layout, reading and understanding your clubs intro driving manual, getting enough sleep before, staying hydrated, etc.)

Other than having a souvenir, video and data is the last thing you need on your first time(s) out. Many students will struggle to know and drive a 'line', identify all flaggers and safety flags, avoid abrupt inputs, and manage passing and traffic - at least in the early events.

Just my opinion. Focus on the basics to start and you will have a great time! It's a journey.

Cheers

Matt
100% agree with this. It is purely a souvenir as Matt mentioned. BTW depending on how serious you want to be about it, you may want to spend some time watching YouTube videos if a similar car lapping at the same track you're going to. The goal should just be knowing the track rather than going as fast as the guy/gal in the video is going. ?

Quick Reply: Track Apps?