Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You never know WHO you might be talking to

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 09:37 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

I work in pharma with a lot of very smart people. Many have varying degrees of face blindness, so I have just gotten in the habit of saying my name even when they should “know” me.

FWIW, I think it’s highly correlated with technical intelligence.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:39 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 92 Posts

We visited the Unser museum in Albuquerque about 15 years ago, and whilst we were there, the "curator" wandered by. It was a very quiet day and he stopped and introduced himself as Al. He was very informed on the exhibits and it took about 30 mins for the penny to drop - we were being given a guided tour by Al Unser Sr. A super nice guy who enjoyed chatting about cars and racing.
A friend of mine (who isn't into racing at all) once met Al Jr and Shelley in a pub close to Poole, England, when Penske had a facility in the UK. They ended up going out for dinner and my friend commented that both were super nice people. Clearly, it's a family trait!
Old 01-11-2018, 01:06 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Awesome story!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:44 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great Story! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Cool story Jack! But it seems everyone has a nice story to tell about Pete. Me too! He used to live in Seattle area where my life long friend builds and sells HO slot cars. He met Pete at one of the Monterey Historics and eventually they became good friends. Like you, on first encounter after fifteen minutes he finally realized he was talking to Pete Brock! Later Pete was kind enough to meet with him in Seattle and share stories with my buddy and showed a real appreciation for the geeky little hobby we were involved with. A totally unassuming guy that is a pleasure to be around. Here's one of the cars Pete really liked, a HO slot car Cobra Daytona Coupe that my buddy introduced a few years ago:

Again, thanks for sharing Jack!

Quick Reply: You never know WHO you might be talking to