Sponsored by:

Am I normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 01:00 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coochas
I'll add one more thing. Nausea can strike just about anyone at any time. I do not get motion sickness in the right or left seat. My wife and I are scuba divers and I was always amazed at how many people would get nauseated in rougher seas. Never happened to me,....until one day. It has never recurred but I don't rule it out. The advantage of scuba is that when motion sickness strikes you just get under water and it passes. In a Porsche you end up ruining someone's interior and your helmet.
Bang on. I work on the water every day. When someone says ‘I don’t get sea sick’ I reply ‘not yet’ It happens to everyone at some point. It can be from repetition or a second trigger like motion and the smell of diesel fuel or exhaust fumes for example.

My moment happened in heavy seas on a tug with 800 feet of tow line shock loading in the trough. It was awful.

Eyes up on the horizon seems to help a lot of folks.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:24 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Dave, any experience with Sea-Bands (wrist bands with bead on inside)? Effective? Placebo? Ca-Ca?

BTW, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Gary
No experience with those bands.
I do see people on dive boats with scopolamine patches on. I don't know how they keep them on when they get wet but in that situation you'd be better off putting it on several hours before diving and hope the medicine that absorbs carries you.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:52 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi OP

I've a long hx of robust motion sickness and was quite a big deal when I first began tracking b/c it'd kick in even when I was driving. It went away after I tried to acclimate myself using a simulator to have an intensive day of parachute jumps.

But it kicked up gain when I began instructing f a couple of years ago. Here is my prevention strategy now every time I instruct:
1. AVOID instructing in an American muscle
Car
2. Early early early but hearty breakfast
3. Saltines for lunch
4. Sea Bands on the moment I get to track
5. NUX Vomica (a homeopathic remedy) 5 pellets sublingually before drivers meeting.

If I forget the bands and NUX, I have trouble my first season out w the student. Which reminds me ...
Old 12-26-2017, 01:03 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
Hi OP

I've a long hx of robust motion sickness and was quite a big deal when I first began tracking b/c it'd kick in even when I was driving. It went away after I tried to acclimate myself using a simulator to have an intensive day of parachute jumps.

But it kicked up gain when I began instructing f a couple of years ago. Here is my prevention strategy now every time I instruct:
1. AVOID instructing in an American muscle Car Strictly control newbies in American muscle cars
FIFY. I've had some very rewarding students in Corvettes, Mustangs, and Cameros but I've got the choke chain ready with newbies until they prove they listen and smooth out. You could also warn them that if aren't smooth you may blow chunks all over their baby.

-Mike
Old 12-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts

"I'm also worried that I won't be any good as a driver either." If you want to be a driver, you'll probably be one! You have been driving for 20+ years by now. Start with Autocross....learn to toss the car around a bit, test your limits in a safe space. When you are comfy as a solo driver, step up to NASA's HPDE series, Levels 1 - 4. Levels 1 through 3, you get a ride along instructor when you go out, at least that's how it works with NASA SoCal. You don't have to let the instructor drive your car.

Level 4, you drive SOLO....when you get really good at that, try NASA Time Trial.

Eyes on the horizon, looking ahead out past the hood is a good start. Subscribe to Speed Secrets.....
Old 12-28-2017, 11:08 PM
cienegavista
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default this really works

I've used this when I used to instruct and it really works, small shocks that run up your palm, 1-5 settings, 5 will make you pay attention but this really works well and no drugs. It's about 80 to $100 depending on where you buy it.

Quick Reply: Am I normal?