Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The biggest mistakes newer and intermediate drivers make.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 04:54 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by seanseidman
Gary, he's still involved with Trillium BMW CCA, and Hanson Driving School at Mosport DDT
Great, glad he's still active--his son Peter was fast as hell back in the day......

Gary
Old 01-03-2018, 06:14 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
3. As a student you are taught the racing line. "This is where you want the car" is pounded into our head. Yet, when I watched videos of the fastest drivers, I see them running a slightly different line each lap. Now, as a faster driver I use the racing line as "base line" of where I will adjust from and to depending how far off ideal I am at any particular point in the process.
Actually, I usually see people taught a late apex "safe" line. Or, at best, the qualifying line. There is no "racing line" as in a race the best line changes based on situation.

Another thing I learned while motorcycle racing was to actively practice off the qualifying line. Why? So I know what my car will do on different parts of the track on a less than ideal non-qualifying line. I hardly ever see people doing this on purpose.

Last edited by winders; 01-03-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:39 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I heard Peter Argetsinger give a talk about common intermediate mistakes. He said one common DE mistake is to brake too late and agressively. Another common mistake he said is to consider the apex as a tiny point, bouncing the car off of that spot, instead of getting more turning completed. I found the advice to hold the apex a moment longer to be helpful.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mhm993
I heard Peter Argetsinger give a talk about common intermediate mistakes. He said one common DE mistake is to brake too late and aggressively. Another common mistake he said is to consider the apex as a tiny point, bouncing the car off of that spot, instead of getting more turning completed.
Right or wrong, I'm of a mind that many people spend too much time turning and not enough time getting the steering wheel straight i.e. turning in too much and possibly too abruptly to make that sacred apex and not unwinding the wheel on exit as examples. Any time the steering wheel is not straight you are losing speed, and in my low-hp, very-short-wheelbase (read: twitchy as hell) car I learned to get the wheel straight as quickly as possible to keep what speed I had going (yes, that over-used term momentum--ALL cars are momentum cars, not just slow ones ) and also to try and be as deliberate as possible with ALL my inputs to keep the car under me, which is especially important in the wet.

Gary
Old 01-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

It's all a flow. Just like the vision
Old 01-04-2018, 05:10 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

I heard Peter Argetsinger give a talk about common intermediate mistakes. He said one common DE mistake is to brake too late and agressively. Another common mistake he said is to consider the apex as a tiny point, bouncing the car off of that spot, instead of getting more turning completed. I found the advice to hold the apex a moment longer to be helpful.
To confirm, Peter Argetsinger taught me those two basic points. Rob Wilson stated that in tight turns one should "lock" (turn) the wheel in a little extra at the apex to have the car track out faster (rotated to unwind the steering wheel earlier. and the little extra scrub with the "lock" is a microsecond of lost time but gained back and more during track out.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

ive had coaching from Peter a couple times, he’s great.

All this discussion of “unwinding” after the apex and giving yourself more room by holding the apex longer is only half the topic. The other half is throttle. You want room during trackout so you can get on the gas, but more gas will cause less room. The trick is to use the unwind mechanism in a way that allows you to add as much throttle as possible while still having room- Not just unwind to reduce tire scrub. In other words, the car should be headed towards the trackout spot mostly because of throttle, not just less steering angle. It’s both pieces balanced, too much steering is slowing you down with scrub, too little and you don’t have room to apply enough throttle.

where this gets mixed up for novices/inter is that they have enough knowledge to feel that they are using all of the grip and can’t apply more throttle. It feels like you are at the edge of grip and the car won’t take more throttle, while true, it’s an artificial edge created by too much steering. You are putting the car on the edge and don’t have to.

When you get the rotation right and have enough room, it’s much easier, and less scary, to unwind and control car placement with subtle throttle adjustments.

looking up helps a lot with this because you can drive the car by placement rather than relying solely on how it feels.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914
To build on this, I'd say not explicitly checking flag stations as they pass. Keeping them in peripheral vision is not good enough. Especially for blind turns or other places where vision is obscured. I remind my students about the location of flag stations and teach them to look, in hopes that it will become second nature.

And of course also looking ahead for other cars or possible hazards.
Good advice especially where there are blind spots around the turn or you have a blind crest like the up hill at Lime Rock. Look at the flagman to make sure it’s safe ahead
Old 01-07-2018, 10:44 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Earlierapex

All this discussion of “unwinding” after the apex and giving yourself more room by holding the apex longer is only half the topic. The other half is throttle. You want room during trackout so you can get on the gas, but more gas will cause less room. The trick is to use the unwind mechanism in a way that allows you to add as much throttle as possible while still having room- Not just unwind to reduce tire scrub. In other words, the car should be headed towards the trackout spot mostly because of throttle, not just less steering angle. It’s both pieces balanced, too much steering is slowing you down with scrub, too little and you don’t have room to apply enough throttle.

where this gets mixed up for novices/inter is that they have enough knowledge to feel that they are using all of the grip and can’t apply more throttle. It feels like you are at the edge of grip and the car won’t take more throttle, while true, it’s an artificial edge created by too much steering. You are putting the car on the edge and don’t have to.

When you get the rotation right and have enough room, it’s much easier, and less scary, to unwind and control car placement with subtle throttle adjustments.

IMO all this stuff becomes academic when you actually get out on track and into a corner--obviously you're gonna want to get back to throttle as quickly as you can coming out of the turn.....if you're on it and are understeering too much, breathe the throttle until you hook up. If you're scrubbing too much your front tires will let you know by groaning instead of singing; unwind. Of course, this is not going to come without a good amount of track time and quality coaching, which you should have by the time you're classed as "intermediate"; novices need more of both so you'll know what the hell we're talking about

As VR noted in response to my previous post above, it's all a flow--feel what the car's doing. Get yourself to the point to where you're not thinking "Do I need more turn-in here? Do I need to lift here?" and you're just driving and doing what needs to be done to keep the car happy by looking up and out as noted and adjusting your inputs so you get around as quickly as you can within your comfort level. Whether you choose to push that envelope is a topic for another thread

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 01-07-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex

ive had coaching from Peter a couple times, he’s great.

looking up helps a lot with this because you can drive the car by placement rather than relying solely on how it feels.
+1,000!

Especially with today’s powerful cars, the idea of “walking the car out” of the corner, balanced against throttle application, is the FIRST thing a lot of drivers can benefit from in learning how to “unstick” the car, progressively and in a PLANNED way.

When I study how people people break through plateaus and reach “the next level” in their driving performance level, THIS skill is paramount in that development.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-07-2018, 07:51 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

+1,000!

Especially with today’s powerful cars, the idea of “walking the car out” of the corner, balanced against throttle application, is the FIRST thing a lot of drivers can benefit from in learning how to “unstick” the car, progressively and in a PLANNED way.

When I study how people people break through plateaus and reach “the next level” in their driving performance level, THIS skill is paramount in that development.
I would call this the next level of "feel," I can only imagine how hard this would be to learn with uber power. I wonder if at such a plateau one might benefit from a lower HP car or less aero or narrower tires to learn when to overide the gut or SOP like IFR flight.

What we really need are DE Green laps that allow more drifting, burnouts, brake checks, and true brake use till fade is like masters level butt puckering EVERYONE should experience.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
I would call this the next level of "feel," I can only imagine how hard this would be to learn with uber power.
For me, it was (relatively) easy.

First, Ferrari front-engined V-12 street cars at track days, then a single turbo 934/5, an Alfa V-12 F1 car and a GT-40 MkII were all so progressive (well, not the F1 car, even though it was normally aspirated) that the idea of “steering with the throttle” seemed to come naturally.

I was young and dumb, too. And crashed that Porsche immediately after patting myself on the back for a perfect, tail-out Turn 2 exit at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Lesson? Don’t count your chickens...

Glad I survived those days...
Old 01-07-2018, 10:55 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed !
Old 01-07-2018, 11:16 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
I would call this the next level of "feel," I can only imagine how hard this would be to learn with uber power.
i had to learn this in a turbo S. I tell you, although the 997.2 variant had minimal turbo lag, getting on throttle too fast/too hard in a late model turbo out of a corner is a risky proposition! To compensate early in my DE days, I would delay getting back on the throttle, past the apex, until the car had 'straightened out' some before applying throttle input. It took a ride with a pro driver/coach at MMC (Monticello) driving my turbo S to demonstrate/teach me proper throttle application (including the all important mid-corner maintenance throttle). Improper pedal modulation is definitely a mistake some beginners make. I'll say this, having learnt pedal modulation and smooth transition in an uber power (580HP) turbo charged engine, it is so much 'easier' in a relatively lower HP (475HP), naturally aspirated car!
Old 01-10-2018, 02:47 PM
jonb94112
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Walking the car

Originally Posted by ProCoach

+1,000!

Peter - can you write a bit more about the idea of 'walking the car out' of the corner? What I find myself doing is, (once I am on the throttle) balancing the trajectory of the car and grip on exit by releasing and adding lock as needed. On the other hand, I can't help thinking that overall grip should be better in a perfect world if fewer movements of the wheel were used.

Quick Reply: The biggest mistakes newer and intermediate drivers make.