Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 09:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
​​​​​​That is awesome Matt, quite the accomplishment!!! If anyone is interested there is an organization out of Indianapolis I have started using in combination with my PT. They are called pitfit and specialize in high performance athletes including drivers and pit crews... They will customize a remote regime to you, work with you remotely and seem to have the background on what transpires in a car most trainers don't. My latest party trick is pushups and planks with a balance board under my arms and legs. That's 5 1/2 months post fusion . I also do all my exercises in a helmet now, partially because I think they are scared I am going to hurt myself now they know me and partially to help strengthen the neck. Fingers crossed my first day back in the car will be 6 months to the day post fusion.
Thanks, but not nearly the challenge you had with the spinal fusion! That's pretty amazing!

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Jim Leo is superb.

Congrats, Matt!
Thanks!

I know PitFit is supposed to be amazing and their IG and FB stuff looks really good, but I bought their Training Essentials eBook and feel completely cheated. It's not a $60 book and the info in it is pretty basic. It's soured me a little on giving them money for any of the programs. Hopefully my experience is unique.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:16 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good going Matt, from now on the kids will keep you fit.. Gonna have to pour a new bead seat:-)
Old 03-29-2018, 09:41 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Diet and portion control is the key. I have only done cardio during my weight loss challenge because I do not want to add muscle till after the weigh ins. I am limiting myself to under 1500 calories per day and cut out all the junk. Fellow Renlister and racer Mo Dadka set up the challenge 30 people at $250 per so the pot is $7500.00. You can win on percentage of weight loss or percentage of body fat loss. We all did a Dexifit scan at the beginning and will repeat the scan on April 15th. With a BMI of 31 I was technically A fat guy so a lot of room to move.
Getting ready for Road Atlanta and was amazed at how much 30 pounds of weight that I had to add to the car actually feels like when hefting it
Old 03-29-2018, 09:52 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Do a workout wearing a a vest with however much weight you have lost. It's eye opening
Old 03-29-2018, 10:28 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

FOOD
Calorie limitation/counting only "works" until it's done. Then it doesn't, and the weight comes back.
Better if you choose the food you eat (mostly animal protein and fat, no carbs), and leave the body to choose the quantity (i.e. eat to satiation). This goes on forever.
Joints don't hurt or get injured because you're getting old. They get inflamed by carbs and grains.

EXERCISE
Burning calories is the wrong reason to be doing exercise. Instead it should be done to build a strong body and strong metabolism that burns calories even when you sleep.
This is why strength (weights, body-weight) training is superior to cardio, aerobic training.
30-60min a week is enough as long you bring every body muscle to failure at least once a week. Mix it up any way you want -- not a rocket science.
If you do (body) weights right (to failure), your heart will get its workout as well.

In short: Cut carbs/grains, lift (body) weights. That's it.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:28 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
FOOD
Calorie limitation/counting only "works" until it's done. Then it doesn't, and the weight comes back.
Better if you choose the food you eat (mostly animal protein and fat, no carbs), and leave the body to choose the quantity (i.e. eat to satiation). This goes on forever.
Joints don't hurt or get injured because you're getting old. They get inflamed by carbs and grains.

EXERCISE
Burning calories is the wrong reason to be doing exercise. Instead it should be done to build a strong body and strong metabolism that burns calories even when you sleep.
This is why strength (weights, body-weight) training is superior to cardio, aerobic training.
30-60min a week is enough as long you bring every body muscle to failure at least once a week. Mix it up any way you want -- not a rocket science.
If you do (body) weights right (to failure), your heart will get its workout as well.

In short: Cut carbs/grains, lift (body) weights. That's it.
Nonsense, you aren't really getting cardio lifting weights except some leg days. 30 minutes per week? Lol. Cardio is the most important and no, extra muscle doesn't make you healthier any more than zero carbs will. And neither will it prevent joint injury. Not only that, the diet isn't sustainable for the VAST MAJORITY of people.

Intermittent Fasting
Cardio
​​​Balanced Diet

80 with metabolism of 20 year old
Old 04-04-2018, 08:17 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
Nonsense, you aren't really getting cardio lifting weights except some leg days. 30 minutes per week? Lol. Cardio is the most important and no, extra muscle doesn't make you healthier any more than zero carbs will. And neither will it prevent joint injury. Not only that, the diet isn't sustainable for the VAST MAJORITY of people.

Intermittent Fasting
Cardio
​​​Balanced Diet

80 with metabolism of 20 year old
You seem to have it all figured out. Good work.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:27 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I’m a big fan of Nerd Fitness. They have a gameification thing I don’t use and is too nerdy even for me 🤓

No fads, no diets, just a ton of good science and info for actual people.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,693 Likes on 874 Posts

IMO, you discount Wanna911's suggestions at your own peril.

He knows of what he speaks ...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 04-04-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:02 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Inspired by this thread, perhaps........coming off mid winter "blues" also, perhaps..........anywho, finally decided, now that I am not working to get my $*%t together....... one way to go a little faster is to lighten the load, and not just removing weight from the car, itself......made the commitment, joined a crossfit program, been 4 weeks...down a few pounds, feeling stronger, better, happier....not strictly kyto...but protein, nuts, seeds, berries........hopefully it will make me a bit quicker..........getting in the car, on the track and getting out of the car............regardless, I am committed to crossfit program of strength training and cardio/endurance........updates in a few more weeks........
Old 04-04-2018, 09:13 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

All I know is that the closer I stay to an all-meat diet, the better, stronger and younger I feel. Animal cells (meat) have everything your cells need in near perfect proportion (balance). It’s the ultimate balanced diet.

Intermittent fasting comes naturally with a carnivore diet. You eat twice, sometimes once a day. No problem doing work or exercise after even a 48hr fast. Hunger pangs, as you know them, are really carb pangs. They disappear in a fat-adapted body.

98% of the plants on this planet would kill you on the spot if you ate them. The remaining 2% are “edible” to the extent it takes them longer to do the job. They can’t run away from their predators, so toxins are their best and most efficient defense. This is why herbivores have nine stomachs and spend 90% of their time and energy digesting plants. Humans don’t.

Check out meatheals.com for many personal stories.
Read “Big Fat Surprise”, a well researched book on the “balanced diet” myth.

Cardio is fine if you must do it, but long duration cardio starts doing more damage than good above age 40. All-out 3x30sec high-intensity bursts (bike, run, swim) 2x a week is plenty. Strength exercise is also plenty cardio when done right (to failure) and takes much less time for much better results.

We’re just sharing ideas and experiences. Some of us have done more research and experimentation, some of us less. Everyone ultimately chooses what makes sense and works best for them.

Last edited by hf1; 04-04-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:58 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,458 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Getting and staying healthy is not a very hard concept. We all know what to do - watch what you eat and exercise.

In regards to the debate between HF1 and Wanna911 its as simple as you have to go with what works for you. One of my friends eats nothing but steamed fish and plain rice for breakfast lunch and dinner when he is trying to lose weight and it works for him. I'd blow my brains out.

Personally, I think cardio and strength training are both equally important.

This is the time of year I try to shed 15-20 pounds, and thanks to the flu last month, I am already down 15 pounds! Just 5 more pounds and I won't look like a sausage in my race suit.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:41 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

There was a thread similar to this recently but still some good food for thought (ouch)......

Though I find eating ANYTHING all the time gets really boring (unless it's pizza, ice cream, baked goods ) there are certain foods I eat regularly that get me through--it's working as I've lost all the holiday blubber and as of this morning my BMI (for what THAT'S worth) was 16.8. With my slow car every bit helps

Now if the weather would turn to spring here in the NE it would make it easier--it's harder (for me at least) to not eat a lot when you're always wearing multiple layers.

Two weeks 'til Mid-O--hope it's done snowing by then

Gary
Old 04-04-2018, 11:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,339 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Getting and staying healthy is not a very hard concept. We all know what to do - watch what you eat and exercise.

In regards to the debate between HF1 and Wanna911 its as simple as you have to go with what works for you. One of my friends eats nothing but steamed fish and plain rice for breakfast lunch and dinner when he is trying to lose weight and it works for him. I'd blow my brains out.

Personally, I think cardio and strength training are both equally important.

This is the time of year I try to shed 15-20 pounds, and thanks to the flu last month, I am already down 15 pounds! Just 5 more pounds and I won't look like a sausage in my race suit.
Sounds like a great, common sense and sustainable approach.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:22 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I follow http://scoobysworkshop.com/ started 7 years ago barely managing a single pull up. its doesnt really take much time to get in some kind of shape and loose some weight. I am now down 45 pounds from that day 7 years ago

Quick Reply: Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?