Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 04:25 PM
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Ride a bike!

Originally Posted by ProCoach

... I'm becoming addicted to riding my bike.
Cycling is addicting for sure. I started racing bikes in 1960 and only quit while I was racing cars. When I left IMSA, I started racing bikes again in the US and Europe. I always liked riding because, unlike cars, you're on a more equal playing field, that is until EPO showed up. Then, when it's time to rebuild the bike, it doesn't cost a fortune. I also like the similarities to racing cars, the braking, drafting, drifting, looking for an apex, jostling elbow to elbow (door handles!), sprinting etc. While you don't have the speed of car racing, descending off a mountain on a bike at 100kph is very exciting. The bike can also teach you how to suffer, which helps during a difficult car race.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:33 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

- Zero carb (meats, eggs, coffee, cream) diet. No processed junk. No grains. No veggies. No fruits.
- Eat when hungry to satiation. Usually just once a day (lunch OR dinner) 3-4x/week. Lunch AND dinner 3-4x/week. No breakfast. No snacks. No hunger.
- Could go 48hrs without eating then do full body strength workout, easy. Freedom from food/hunger. No counting calories.
- 1hr/week bodyweight strength training. Every muscle group, single set to failure, 1-2x week or few mins before shower. Mix it up.
- HIIT 2x/week. 3x30sec all out sprints with 1min rest in between. 10min/week.
- ice cold showers
- meditation

51yr old
6’ tall
175lb (same weight and better look, feel, and strength than as an 18yr old competitive swimmer).

Calories in, calories out (counting cals in and cals out) is wrong — worse than useless. Not all calories are the same — not even close. Metabolism matters. Grains and carbs matter. They **** up insulin. They cause insulin resistance (prediabetes, diabetes) and inflammation (joints, arteries, etc.). Diet (no carbs) is 90% of keeping weight, insulin, and inflammation low. Exercise is only 10% and only when the diet is right. Can’t outrun a bad diet.

Folks over 45 doing 1hr (or more) of aero per day are risking a heart attack. Humans weren’t built for distance running. No apex predator is.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:57 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,339 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Apex predator... I like that!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-30-2018, 10:20 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Apex predator... I like that!
LOL! Great name for a race team or a race forum user handle.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Folks over 45 doing 1hr (or more) of aero per day are risking a heart attack. Humans weren’t built for distance running. No apex predator is.

Science would disagree w/ that statement
Human Evolution & running

I'm 69 and have done 2hr 20 min a day of aerobic activity for the last 11yrs(since retirement), less high impact running and more low impact cycling, for sure. Most of my friends are similarly engaged and sure seem better for the effort compared to those more sedentary types. My doc agrees btw
Old 12-30-2018, 02:39 PM
9912B
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't there a rule somewhere that you're not allowed to bring "science" and "logic" into an Internet debate?

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg

I'm 69 and have done 2hr 20 min a day of aerobic activity for the last 11yrs(since retirement), less high impact running and more low impact cycling, for sure. Most of my friends are similarly engaged and sure seem better for the effort compared to those more sedentary types. My doc agrees btw
Old 12-30-2018, 02:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Not buying it. A lot of stuff passes as "science" these days.
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/did-...tance-runners/
"Until we had a ready source of reliable high-carb fuel, made available through agriculture, any sort of regular distance running (chronic cardio) was a natural selection killer. Eating grains every day at every meal certainly replenishes the glycogen stores, so you can go out and do it again tomorrow. But why?"

Whatever works for you -- until it doesn't. I don't enjoy long-distance running/cycling, while others seem to enjoy it. To me, long distance (endurance, marathon) runners/cyclists look like (vegetarian) prey (antelopes). Strong, explosive sprinters look like (carnivorous) predators (lions). I prefer the latter.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:47 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Not buying it. A lot of stuff passes as "science" these days.
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/did-...tance-runners/
"Until we had a ready source of reliable high-carb fuel, made available through agriculture, any sort of regular distance running (chronic cardio) was a natural selection killer. Eating grains every day at every meal certainly replenishes the glycogen stores, so you can go out and do it again tomorrow. But why?"

Whatever works for you -- until it doesn't. I don't enjoy long-distance running/cycling, while others seem to enjoy it. To me, long distance (endurance, marathon) runners/cyclists look like (vegetarian) prey (antelopes). Strong, explosive sprinters look like (carnivorous) predators (lions). I prefer the latter.
If all you do is full body calisthenic training once a week and sprints for 10 minutes total twice a week, I doubt you are all that swole. Lol.

You sound like a child. Tremendous athletes are tremendous athletes regardless of their discipline. You go run 13 mph for 2 hrs straight then report back.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:11 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
If all you do is full body calisthenic training once a week and sprints for 10 minutes total twice a week, I doubt you are all that swole. Lol.

You sound like a child. Tremendous athletes are tremendous athletes regardless of their discipline. You go run 13 mph for 2 hrs straight then report back.
I neither am nor do I want to be "swole". Extreme (high) physical performance doesn't correlate much with health or longevity. When it does, it's usually a negative correlation.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:56 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by hf1
I neither am nor do I want to be "swole". Extreme (high) physical performance doesn't correlate much with health or longevity. When it does, it's usually a negative correlation.
Neither does racing cars but most of us here do it anyways. At some point you are just existing, going day to day, not doing much at all. I think most here would prefer to do things that challenge, exhilarate and make them feel young vs trying to eek every last tenth out of their lifespan.

In other words, people do these things becuase they enjoy them. They improve quality of life for the most part, relieve stress and as long as done in some form of moderation won't hurt you. Your statistical assertions hardly rely on causality, that's the part that needs to be mentioned. Not many people are exercising themselves to death.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:28 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Great thread Matt, thanks.

Originally Posted by wanna911
Good stuff. I try to get as many guys to try it as possible. It's a life changer....
So, I am halfway through Jason Fung's book, the Obesity Code and considering the 16/8 IF schedule. I ride the velodrome 1.5 - 2 hours, 4x/week: How should I integrate fasting with mostly endurance training? I am worried about riding in a fasted state, you know, from a lifetime of carb dependence, lol. Should I worry? Or just not pay attention?
Old 12-31-2018, 06:32 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by FFaust
Great thread Matt, thanks.

So, I am halfway through Jason Fung's book, the Obesity Code and considering the 16/8 IF schedule. I ride the velodrome 1.5 - 2 hours, 4x/week: How should I integrate fasting with mostly endurance training? I am worried about riding in a fasted state, you know, from a lifetime of carb dependence, lol. Should I worry? Or just not pay attention?
What is you goal or reason for fasting?

I wouldn't sweat it. IF is only your eating schedule, it's not lower carbs. You can eat the same macro percentages, and even same calories if you want and still see benefit. I train fasted at 5:30 am most days and sometimes twice before eating (at 11:30) I never crash unless I undereat. Just make sure your caloric needs are sufficient for your output and the fast is irrelevant.

If you are looking to reduce carbs for weight loss or Toning, you will have a limit before you start crashing (energy wise). You then have to go Keto or increase carbs. Decrease carbs by 20-30 per day until you feel yourself crashing in a workout then add 20 back and maintain. Being tired during a workout is not crashing. I mean low blood sugar crashing.

Low carb is overrated, even Keto only provides benefit for the first two weeks vs a balanced diet. And most of that is just water weight, which you don't want to run out of water doing long bouts of cardio. After that, the diets are pretty much the same. A balanced diet is more sustainable. And when you are trying to get leaner, you want MORE carbs to keep muscle glycogen stores up so you aren't losing muscle. Just avoid pastas and sugars.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:37 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks, makes sense. Turning 60 next week and want to stay healthy and fit. At 5'9" and 170, I want to drop 5 to 10 lbs. and from the little I've read so far, fasting appears to be a good way to lean up a bit and keep the body clean (and the mind sharp?). I'll give it a shot.

Not planning to do Keto as balanced is easier, but will cut out the "extra" carbs, you know, mostly that second helping of pasta or rice. This should make the whole thing more, uh, balanced.

HNY
Old 01-01-2019, 01:35 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,459 Likes on 1,955 Posts

I just completed the opposite on intermittent fasting for the past few days. Allowed myself to cheat from Christmas eve until today and that back to the grind.

In regards to HF1's comments we have shared a few beers at WGI and he is very fit. That being said, I think that what works for one person does not necessarily work for someone else. Genetics plays a big role in how our bodies react to food and exercise. What he is advocating works for him but I don;t believe it would work for me.

The trick is to find a diet and exercise plan that is sustainable. I'm living proof that you can work hard for a year, lose a ton of weight, but then slowly gain it back because what I was doing was not sustainable. The bottom line is there are definitely wrong ways to lose weight but multiple right ways to lose it as well.

My new plan of the last four months is based on adjusting my life to something sustainable. I'm doing a paleo diet, although only 95% strict because I refuse to give up cheese, and have a slice of pizza once or twice a week. Strength training 2 - 4 times a week plus cardio 5 times a week. It's working, but most of all, this is sustainable.

There is a really expensive custom Brooks Brother's suit hanging in my closet that I have not worn in 20 years. I'm about 10 pounds away. My goal is to wear it this winter!
Old 01-01-2019, 02:21 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I see this often. Clients go all in for a year or so, then take it for granted and even though they still work out, they add 2lbs here, 5lbs there and next thing you know, they have gained much of the weight back. All while still working out. For this reason I have clients that I have trained 5x a week for almost ten years who still report their weight to me daily via text and many more who weigh themselves daily. I weigh myself daily as well. It's not something that can be ignored if you pick up weight easily or have health issues attached.
​​​​​​
Eating for maintenance is not nearly as hard as people make it but some sacrifices must be made. Fasting helps tremendously, and cardio, but ultimately you have to draw a line in the sand where you will not go past.

Quick Reply: Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?