Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Often our tracks go cold around 5pm. Organizers should promote good driver health. It would be awesome if tracks allowed us to bike or walk the tracks after 5pm. Plus the learning of the track would be invaluable.
Most do, if you ask
Old 04-08-2018, 12:58 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Most do, if you ask
A lot of tracks in the NE charge the organizer for the walk if it's even available. Lime Rock normally had SB there after the day was done, WG has Thunder Road, NHMS and most others are locked down. It's nice when you have access
Old 04-08-2018, 03:54 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

I should have went to the gym more this winter, it appears the off season supply of pasta and bread was over done.
I am using my WGI track map shirt as proof.
While I do look good in it, it appears the track image now has the correct elevations in 3D.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:07 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Default List the vegetables...

Originally Posted by hf1
OK, balance away -- whatever works for you. Just pay attention to the range of plants over which you do your balance. Science keeps finding new ways by which plants **** up the predators that want to eat them. Animals, it appears not so much.
hf1...please give us a complete list of poisonous vegetables, so we can avoid them.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:39 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114609048
hf1...please give us a complete list of poisonous vegetables, so we can avoid them.
Google “plant toxins”.

These kill you faster:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poisonous_plants
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ns_An_Overview

The rest work slower. For example, soy makes guys grow ***** (ups estrogen, lowers testosterone) resulting in less (or no) offspring.

And that’s just what’s known. The unknown (yet to be discovered) part is probably much larger. This is an active area of research.

No such lists exist for animal meats and products.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:19 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Much of that wiki link referenced toxicity to dogs and/or cats or referred to parts of the plant we don't eat. If you eat cherry pits in large quantities consider your life choices.

Water can be lethal if ingested in sufficient doses. Accordingly, I'm switching* to an all beer diet.

*Switching in this context means "sticking."
Old 04-10-2018, 10:33 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Much of that wiki link referenced toxicity to dogs and/or cats or referred to parts of the plant we don't eat. If you eat cherry pits in large quantities consider your life choices.

Water can be lethal if ingested in sufficient doses. Accordingly, I'm switching* to an all beer diet.

*Switching in this context means "sticking."
OK, then make sure to keep your list handy and updated whenever USA Today reports on the newest findings. In the meantime, load up on all the plants that haven’t been proven to kill you within two days of consumption. Those are the safe ones. Probably and until further notice...

I’d like to see a video of someone trying to kill themselves with meat and water.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Racer

Default Toxic vegetables...

Originally Posted by hf1

OK, then make sure to keep your list handy and updated whenever USA Today reports on the newest findings. In the meantime, load up on all the plants that haven’t been proven to kill you within two days of consumption. Those are the safe ones. Probably and until further notice...

I’d like to see a video of someone trying to kill themselves with meat and water.
Please let the CDC know!

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...nsumption.html
Old 04-10-2018, 02:43 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Please follow all govt recommendations and instructions, including their food pyramid. And don't waste time doing your own research when they have their best minds already doing that for you. Don't forget your bowl of "heart-healthy" cereal in the morning, your "cholesterol-busting" statins, and your zero-fat(!) veggies, fruits, bread, and pasta as parts of your healthy, balanced diet, too.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hf1
Please follow all govt recommendations and instructions, including their food pyramid. And don't waste time doing your own research when they have their best minds already doing that for you. Don't forget your bowl of "heart-healthy" cereal in the morning, your "cholesterol-busting" statins, and your zero-fat(!) veggies, fruits, bread, and pasta as parts of your healthy, balanced diet, too.
hf1. I made the CDC remark because you seem to know a lot about the dangers of plants. All I meant to say, was the CDC could benefit from your knowledge, if they are in fact ignorant about your findings.
I'm curious about your diet and what you eat before before a race. I can be convinced, if your diet enables you to perform at competitive level.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:26 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The government is not to be trusted in regards to nutrition. Far too many links to lies, greed and corruption. If you do your homework on fats vs sugar (coca cola), corn (Monsanto) and aspartame just to name a few, it's infuriating to know that you are almost on your own to figure out what to eat.

However hf1 is not to be trusted either, far too much bias against vegetables.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:35 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

No one should be trusted unless you know the person, their intelligence, and their motivation (incentives, skin in the game) well. This eliminates anyone from the govt, right off the bat.

Even then, nothing should be accepted as true wihout evaluating the facts and the logic of the arguments applied to reach the conclusions. Even then, every conclusion should be viewed as dynamically probabilistic (uncertain) and subject to modifications in light of new facts or arguments.

Last edited by hf1; 04-11-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I'm curious about your diet and what you eat before before a race. I can be convinced, if your diet enables you to perform at competitive level.
Most days I drink 2-3 cups of coffee with cream in the morning; eat 4-5 eggs with or without bacon in the late morning, early lunch; then 1-2lbs of meat (steak, burger, chicken, fish, etc. — no sides) in the afternoon, early evening. I don’t weigh anything and eat to satiation. 2-3 times a week I skip the breakfast and only eat dinner for a 24hr fast. Sometimes I skip dinner. Sometimes I skip both and do a 48hr fast. 2-3 times a month I “fall off the wagon”, succumb to peer pressure and have some veggie sides and/or dessert (ice cream) when dining out with company, just so I don’t look like a complete madman. All entrees in restaurants have too little protein (meat) in them so I’d be hungry if I don’t eat anything else. For drinks, I like a splash of vodka with a lot of club soda and a lime in the evenings.

For exercise, 30-45min workout 2x a week. Starts with 3x30sec HIIT all out sprints on a bike (4mins with rests). Then bring all muscle groups to failure with 1 or 2 sets of weights or bodyweight (calisthenics). I like to mix it up as different exercises use slightly different muscles in the group.

I’m 50, 6ft tall, 175lbs — same weight as when I was 18 when I trained daily and swam competitively. Look even better now.

Zero plaque in arteries (zero calcium screen score) even though I’ve had “high cholesterol” all my life.

Zero medications, supplements, and chronic or joint pain.

Not sure that there’s a diet or exercise plan that would make you much faster or slower than you already are, at least not at our level.

Last edited by hf1; 04-11-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Racer

Default 2 pounds of meat a day...

Originally Posted by hf1

Most days I drink 2-3 cups of coffee with cream in the morning; eat 4-5 eggs with or without bacon in the late morning, early lunch; then 1-2lbs of meat (steak, burger, chicken, fish, etc. — no sides) in the afternoon, early evening. I don’t weigh anything and eat to satiation. 2-3 times a week I skip the breakfast and only eat dinner for a 24hr fast. Sometimes I skip dinner. Sometimes I skip both and do a 48hr fast. 2-3 times a month I “fall off the wagon”, succumb to peer pressure and have some veggie sides and/or dessert (ice cream) when dining out with company, just so I don’t look like a complete madman. All entrees in restaurants have too little protein (meat) in them so I’d be hungry if I don’t eat anything else. For drinks, I like a splash of vodka with a lot of club soda and a lime in the evenings.

For exercise, 30-45min workout 2x a week. Starts with 3x30sec HIIT all out sprints on a bike (4mins with rests). Then bring all muscle groups to failure with 1 or 2 sets of weights or bodyweight (calisthenics). I like to mix it up as different exercises use slightly different muscles in the group.

I’m 50, 6ft tall, 175lbs — same weight as when I was 18 when I trained daily and swam competitively. Look even better now.

Zero plaque in arteries (zero calcium screen score) even though I’ve had “high cholesterol” all my life.

Zero medications, supplements, and chronic or joint pain.

Not sure that there’s a diet or exercise plan that would make you much faster or slower than you already are, at least not at our level.

hf1,
I understand questioning the government, but the CDC does disseminate information efficiently to doctors regarding new findings, then it's up to your trusted doctor to help you decide if a CDC report is bogus or not.
Is your doctor OK with your daily intake of one to two pounds of meat after your coffee, egg and bacon breakfast and no fruits, grains or vegetables?
Working out only six hours a month, the way you describe, doesn't do much for basic cardio fitness. A cycling training session which begins with no warm up, then 30 sec sprints with 4 minute intervals, is as wrong as eating two pounds of meat a day.

Hopefully no one will follow your diet or training advice, even if they do just want to have fun at the track.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
The government is not to be trusted.
FIFY

Quick Reply: Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?