Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track liability waivers not enforceable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
PCA is less clear on whether they provide ANY protection for the drivers in case of liability... I would think that they do, but no one will verify it.
Log into pca.org, then go to forms and documents, then under insurance you will see "Event Liability Coverage Summary." Here is what it says:

General Description: This general liability insurance coverage is intended to protect PCA and its chartered regions and their members, event officials/instructors, drivers, crews, and other event participants, as well as event site landowners/managers/lessors and event racing vehicle owners and sponsors, and event sponsors from bodily injury, property damage, personal injury or advertising claims arising out of a covered incident at a PCA moving car or nonmoving car (meetings, concours, etc.) event. Type of Coverage: Limits: Bodily Injury Liability, Property Damage $10,000,000 Liability, Participant Legal Liability, Per event Contractual Liability, Products Liability, Personal Injury and Advertising Liability, Host Liquor Liability; Mobile Equipment Liability Medical Professional Liability (Excess) $1,000,000 Per event Event Officials’ Errors and Omissions Coverage regarding rules enforcement $ 100,000 Per event Exclusions: Exclusions include, but are not limited to the following: Moving car events where no effective system is in effect to collect Release and Waiver forms or where members of the general public are permitted to enter restricted areas without signing Release and Waiver forms, as well as concerts, amusement rides, thrill shows, etc.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Log into pca.org, then go to forms and documents, then under insurance you will see "Event Liability Coverage Summary." Here is what it says:

General Description: This general liability insurance coverage is intended to protect PCA and its chartered regions and their members, event officials/instructors, drivers, crews, and other event participants, as well as event site landowners/managers/lessors and event racing vehicle owners and sponsors, and event sponsors from bodily injury, property damage, personal injury or advertising claims arising out of a covered incident at a PCA moving car or nonmoving car (meetings, concours, etc.) event. Type of Coverage: Limits: Bodily Injury Liability, Property Damage $10,000,000 Liability, Participant Legal Liability, Per event Contractual Liability, Products Liability, Personal Injury and Advertising Liability, Host Liquor Liability; Mobile Equipment Liability Medical Professional Liability (Excess) $1,000,000 Per event Event Officials’ Errors and Omissions Coverage regarding rules enforcement $ 100,000 Per event Exclusions: Exclusions include, but are not limited to the following: Moving car events where no effective system is in effect to collect Release and Waiver forms or where members of the general public are permitted to enter restricted areas without signing Release and Waiver forms, as well as concerts, amusement rides, thrill shows, etc.
Not to mention that every significant North American road racing facility requires renters to show proof of this type of insurance, ADDING the track entity and subsidiaries as "additional named insureds."
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-15-2017, 12:48 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,476 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Yeah, but in the real world here is the risk:

Driver A hits/nudges Driver B. Avoidable? Not avoidable? Doesn't matter. Driver B sues Driver A despite having signed a waiver. Heaven forbid Driver B is a CGT and Driver A is a 944.

The guy in the 944 is now in a position to shell out $30-40k in legal fees, just to defend the waiver.

That's why, PCA SHOULD play a role and have some liability coverage available...
I understand your point, but anyone can sue anyone for anything and those dollars are going to be shelled out regardless if you do something that isn't considered accidental. With regard to the Auto Club Speedway, there were a lot of things that weren't exactly kosher and as a result, a lot of things changed after that incident.

Don't believe for one moment that if you do something malicious with intent that your road insurance or umbrella policy is going to go to bat for you. Accident's happen and that's what insurance is for, but we're talking about actions outside the scope of that. With regard to the Tony Stewart matter, the local district attorney didn't believe they could get a criminal conviction based on the evidence. Civil court doesn't have the same standards and even if a jury found Tony at fault, guaranteed it would be a percentage shared with the deceased. Regardless, if you don't do something stupid, the waiver is the best protection you're going to have.

In the past, I was concerned with liability as an instructor on track and asked our local chapter about this very thing. At the time, I was informed that PCA has a $10m policy for any on track incidents. It's been a few years, but I can't imagine that has changed.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not to mention that every significant North American road racing facility requires renters to show proof of this type of insurance, ADDING the track entity and subsidiaries as "additional named insureds."
Yes, but not at this level. Some of the contracts I have are from 1 million to 5 million. The 10 that PCA has is more than most, IIRC. Also, many tracks will allow an organizer to buy insurance through the tracks provider if they don't have their own. But, I think they all require insurance, so you're covered, but you don't always know for how much.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:20 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Yeah, but in the real world here is the risk:

Driver A hits/nudges Driver B. Avoidable? Not avoidable? Doesn't matter. Driver B sues Driver A despite having signed a waiver. Heaven forbid Driver B is a CGT and Driver A is a 944.

The guy in the 944 is now in a position to shell out $30-40k in legal fees, just to defend the waiver.

That's why, PCA SHOULD play a role and have some liability coverage available...
Specifically to PCA -- I thought there was some legal coverage to defendant if the waiver was signed. Part of their event insurance coverage.

Note -- that's word of mouth - and probably worth less than the price you paid to read this.

M
Old 12-15-2017, 01:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, but not at this level. Some of the contracts I have are from 1 million to 5 million. The 10 that PCA has is more than most, IIRC. Also, many tracks will allow an organizer to buy insurance through the tracks provider if they don't have their own. But, I think they all require insurance, so you're covered, but you don't always know for how much.
VIR Operations LLC has required proof of $10M minimum for some time. It's in their rental contracts and has been since March 2000, when they reopened. Sebring, Road Atlanta, WGI, Mid-Ohio, MRLS, Sears Point, Daytona, NJMP, LRP, et cetera do too.

The larger car clubs like PCA and racing clubs like VSCCA obtain blanket policies with K&K, Naughton and other insurers, with each event, start to finish, issued a written certificate of coverage. Been like this for a long time...
Old 12-15-2017, 01:31 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

I am an attorney, and I have practiced in this area. There's no news here.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cosm3os
I am an attorney, and I have practiced in this area. There's no news here.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:38 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
This is EXACTLY my point and the reason I started this thread. The lawyers here can blather all they want. However, in the real world, the rest of us are one step closer to being bankrupted for some frivolous claim of "intent" simply because a precedent may have been set alleging that waivers are worthless.
I'm pretty certain the lawyers are the real world and the rest of you are the blatherers on this topic. When we talk about track skills I am the blatherer and you are the real world.

Remember, its a scary thing to walk out your front door because at any point someone can sue you for anything, no matter how frivolous, and being right doesn't always protect you. My point is that you have the same exact risks driving around town so the odds of an issue at the track are smaller than the risk you run everyday just being out and about.

Everybody should just stop worrying so much about Tony Stewart and this stupid article. Have a beer and enjoy life - you'll be fine! (But as a lawyer I in no way specifically guaranty, or imply, that you will enjoy your life or your beer.)
Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,476 Likes on 2,072 Posts
Smile

^^^ your font should have been much smaller.. just saying...
Old 12-15-2017, 06:35 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Tracks are always "additional insureds" as a condition to run on that track. But where does it say participants are "additional insureds". PCA is covered to 10mil but says nothing about "you".
Old 12-15-2017, 06:51 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Tracks are always "additional insureds" as a condition to run on that track. But where does it say participants are "additional insureds". PCA is covered to 10mil but says nothing about "you".
It's right in the first line -
Old 12-15-2017, 07:14 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kurt R
It's right in the first line -
LOL! Thanks! That is why I am not a lawyer...I never could read but can math you to death.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:20 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
LOL! Thanks! That is why I am not a lawyer...I never could read but can math you to death.
Never let a lack of reading or researching stop you from giving an opinion on Rennlist. Just make sure to give your opinion with conviction and that is all that is required!
Old 12-15-2017, 07:25 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

OK! Thanks for your permission to go off the reservation. I think soon I will be in the dust bin with MarkK and ghetto racer...

Quick Reply: Track liability waivers not enforceable?