Sponsored by:

graphics wrap for racecar

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 12:59 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default graphics wrap for racecar

I am looking to get a wrap for my 996 cup to give it a cool look.

I have talked to dan porter at magnagraphik but was wondering who else is good at this.

experiences, budget/price-points and recommendations welcome
Old 12-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

Dan Porter is actually the best. He sometimes works with Russ Deubel at BSN Graphics in NJ. I've worked with both for design and installation.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:37 PM
cmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc, I have a guy I used in Bucks County that might be convenient for you. If you're looking for something reasonably inexpensive (<$3k) send me a PM and I'll get you contact info.

-Corey
Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 169 Likes on 124 Posts

Are you looking for a designer, or are you looking for someone to print and wrap the car.

I looked at quite a number of designs on pinterest. I ended up using a designer in Moscow. He did a great design for me and provided the local company with all of the cut files they needed.

Thanks

Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

Old 12-12-2017, 03:36 PM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed@Demonspeed
Are you looking for a designer, or are you looking for someone to print and wrap the car.

I looked at quite a number of designs on pinterest. I ended up using a designer in Moscow. He did a great design for me and provided the local company with all of the cut files they needed.

Thanks

Ed
I've been curious what it would cost to ask someone to put my ideas into a form that is usable for a wrapping/printing company.

Do you mind divulging your costs for this service?
Old 12-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not at all. It was just last spring, so fairly current costs. It was between $400 and $500 (without going and actually looking it up)

I sent him over a few wrap design pictures that I liked and gave them an idea of what I was interested in. I showed them the Demon Speed logo and sent them the logos of the current sponsors (Hawk and CSF) to be incorporated into the design. I gave them colors that I was interested in. They gave me 3 prototype designs to review and choose from. I did choose one of the first 3 since I felt he was on the right track.

They came back a couple weeks later with a proof for me to approve. I made a few small changes to it. Then they created all of the cut files in 3 different formats for the wrap guys.

My biggest fear was that the wrap guys would get the files and tell me that they would not work on their machines or that they had to be converted to another format ... However, that did not happen.

I sent the cut files to 3 different vendors and chose the lowest cost provider (mistake, but that was not the fault of the designer). Make sure the wrap company that you use has had experience with something more than panel vans.

Thanks
Ed
Old 12-12-2017, 04:08 PM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed@Demonspeed
Not at all. It was just last spring, so fairly current costs. It was between $400 and $500 (without going and actually looking it up)

I sent him over a few wrap design pictures that I liked and gave them an idea of what I was interested in. I showed them the Demon Speed logo and sent them the logos of the current sponsors (Hawk and CSF) to be incorporated into the design. I gave them colors that I was interested in. They gave me 3 prototype designs to review and choose from. I did choose one of the first 3 since I felt he was on the right track.

They came back a couple weeks later with a proof for me to approve. I made a few small changes to it. Then they created all of the cut files in 3 different formats for the wrap guys.

My biggest fear was that the wrap guys would get the files and tell me that they would not work on their machines or that they had to be converted to another format ... However, that did not happen.

I sent the cut files to 3 different vendors and chose the lowest cost provider (mistake, but that was not the fault of the designer). Make sure the wrap company that you use has had experience with something more than panel vans.

Thanks
Ed
And how did you go about locating/choosing this designer?
Old 12-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I had gone on Pinterest searching for wrap design ideas. I had saved 10 designs that I liked. I realized that two of the 10 I picked were from the same designer. I had actually reached out to a second designer as well with no response. I was most interested in TT Studios anyway, so I chose them.

I was a bit concerned about the process because they were so far away, but they had great communication and delivered on their promises.

Thanks

Ed
Old 12-12-2017, 04:38 PM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

Thank you!
Old 12-12-2017, 05:03 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Good info. Thanks
Old 12-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

What you will find out is that a wrap is not a one time application but that for one reason or another you will need to replace parts of it some day. You want to make sure that you are working with designers and installers that can respond quickly once the need for some repeat business arises.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:05 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

ive used dan porter for many 10+ cars. guy is great. quick, and his designs are affordable. i will say the wrap costs in total has gotten very pricey. and ive kind of grown tired of spending 5,6,7$K to 'wrap a car' to ding it up, sell it, etc. these days i like a simple car, numbers, class stickers, maybe acompany logo somewhere and done...
Old 12-13-2017, 12:28 AM
cmac
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
What you will find out is that a wrap is not a one time application but that for one reason or another you will need to replace parts of it some day. You want to make sure that you are working with designers and installers that can respond quickly once the need for some repeat business arises.
VERY good point Frank...! I can confirm this is quite true. ;-) Luckily, my guy makes house calls and repair costs on the wrap are pretty minor compared to what's underneath.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:11 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

+1 for Dan at Magnagrafik! He was fantastic to work with!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:31 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Another +1 for Dan Porter at MagnaGrafix. He's #1 and worth the money.

Quick Reply: graphics wrap for racecar