Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts
Default AiM MXS and MXG Updates to Hardware Version 1.2

Final PRI update from me. The MXS and MXG have been updated to version 1.2. They have a new processor which will allow some future upgrades. The major current upgrade will be that they will take the an analog video input. This means it can function as a backup camera! More details in the 2018 product book http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...guide_2018.zip

If anyone is interested in some of these units, please let me know. I'm happy to help!
Old 12-11-2017, 02:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Hah! That's all I need, for the drivers I'm working with to pay any MORE attention to what is behind them!

It'll be awhile before this hardware release is available, but the nice thing is that all MXx units sold since November of 2015 will be compatible with RS3 Analysis and auto-synced video, when that software is available.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-11-2017, 02:48 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Peeking at the catalog, the analogue camera input seems to be only the Strada versions?
Old 12-11-2017, 03:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Peeking at the catalog, the analogue camera input seems to be only the Strada versions?
I don't know... Page 7 of the PDF indicates this feature available on 5"-6"-7" race dashes. I know you'll be able to use third party cameras wired in directly.

I don't see the value.

MoTeC offers this in their C1XX dashes, and on the larger dashes (12" wide, in particular), the video can be picture-WITH-information fields, so usable in closed coupes on the track for rear vision. But I don't see that ability demonstrated in the AiM offerings.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Benefits of going to the show...

It's for use as a backup camera, not rear facing when driving. The updated chipset is in a number of the new products so more future updates are available.

Besides the backup camera function, there is no change in the functionality of the 1.2 devices. Analysis, files, etc are all the same.

This is a major change. Their have been a number of smaller changes along the way, but this is the first processor change.

As a cool aside, AiM manufacturers all their own parts. They have machining centers for all the aluminum parts (dashes, housings, etc), has their own pick and place machines to make boards (the same kind that makes your iPhone and Samsung), and they do all their own wiring work.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Benefits of going to the show...

Besides the backup camera function, there is no change in the functionality of the 1.2 devices. Analysis, files, etc are all the same.

This is a major change. Their have been a number of smaller changes along the way, but this is the first processor change.
Snarky, much? Hard to reconcile the next two sentences, and no, this is the THIRD processor change.

The first one was why there was twenty-three months between the MXL2/MXG line being shown at PRI and arriving in dealer's hands. So they could upgrade to be current at release...
Old 12-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Snarky, much? Hard to reconcile the next two sentences, and no, this is the THIRD processor change.

The first one was why there was twenty-three months between the MXL2/MXG line being shown at PRI and arriving in dealer's hands. So they could upgrade to be current at release...
Lots

There are always lots of revisions before production (in any product) . This will be the only processor change in production.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:44 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

So those with an MXS now won't be able to add this function..or are they offering send in updates or......i know it won't be out for a while but makes me wonder what other future upgrades won't be available to V1 users.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Der ABT
So those with an MXS now won't be able to add this function..or are they offering send in updates or......i know it won't be out for a while but makes me wonder what other future upgrades won't be available to V1 users.
Correct, current dashes won't be able to add this.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Arrgghh! THIS is why it's such a pain to deal with this.

The V1.1 has everything the V1.2 does (the one that's not here yet and no one knows when it will be), except three or four pins enabled for a signal input from an NTSC bullet camera and a slightly older generation processor. Physically, they're no different.

RS3 configuration will be the same. For all intents and purposes, the user interface in normal use will be no different. Plus, when what really needs to work DOES finally come out (with the RS3 Analysis software), BOTH units will do this vital, usable feature well...

I think the Italians want to offer a completely adjustable and configurable display, similar to MoTeC's Dash Creator, and the new processor may help speed that along and/or make it more capable of doing that. But the Italians also have added a number of cool display templates and more than most makers, take great pains to make SURE their previous versions are supported and useful for MANY more years.

Let's not get our panties in a wad just because Santa's stash has been exposed... Besides, it could be NEXT Christmas before we see this.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Oh no, not a huge deal cept for 1 or 2 i know that put a separate review system in and woulda loved this....but would have had to rebuy the dash.....was just hopeful they may allow for a send in hardware upgrade.

still a great dash, and if the interface is competitive with Vbox simplicity will be a contender...when it get here....big breath and....wait for it.....wait for it
Old 12-12-2017, 12:46 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

also forgot to ask, any new info on the shift light module and or availability?
Old 12-12-2017, 01:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Umm, no. Like last year, it was shown at PRI and is in the catalog but not on the website. It’s coming?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:12 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That one has a ton of dealer requests! I talked to them about it and it's in the works. No ETA though.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:12 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Bummer - I was thinking not so much for rearview as for streamlined forward camera feed. My teammate just bought an MXS for his F500, with the desire to add camera later - though of course he will no doubt have a V1.1 MXS anyway. But this is good, in a way, that he didn't just miss out on the functionality! But it would of course compete with the Smartycam, to be able to use a 3rd-party bullet camera...

Quick Reply: AiM MXS and MXG Updates to Hardware Version 1.2