Sponsored by:

AiM is driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 01:38 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AiM is driving me crazy!

Is it just me, or do other people have problems with their AiM dataloggers?

I've had my system know for almost two years and have watched just about every video online to learn how to use it. I do have a pretty good understanding of the system, but I continue to have numerous technical problems.

I'd like to hear from other people who had problems with AiM.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:48 PM
wanna911
Race Car

What kind of problems? I haven't owned one but worst I have heard of from friends that do is not automatically starting when it should.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzx
Is it just me, or do other people have problems with their AiM dataloggers?

I've had my system know for almost two years and have watched just about every video online to learn how to use it. I do have a pretty good understanding of the system, but I continue to have numerous technical problems.

I'd like to hear from other people who had problems with AiM.
What problems? Feel free to email me and we'll do whatever it takes to get you squared away.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:57 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

I don't know where to start.

First, the system is great if you're a race engineer. However, if you're just a club racer who wants basic datalogger functions, it takes a really, really long time to learn how to use the software. I've watched every YouTube video, and I have a pretty good understanding of how to use it, but I continue to have technical problems.

A few months ago I had to drive to their only So Cal location (5 hours of driving) to have my EVO datalogger replaced. They tested the one I had and said it was defective.

After the last Windows update, I can no longer play my SmartyCam videos. I did the SmartyCam update that they recommended so I thought everything was good, but right now I'm trying to watch videos of yesterday's track day, and....nothing. Still can't play them.

I had been looking forward to studying my data at the track yesterday, but the system just didn't work. It's like it didn't recognize the track--Buttonwillow.

Trying to create segments on a track map is a huge pain in the *** because the way the software is designed it's really hard.

What's most frustrating is that it's really hard to get anyone to help. THERE IS NO USER MANUAL. You have to watch YouTube videos to learn how to use the software. Then when you have a problem you can't figure out, it's hard to get tech support. Extremely frustrating.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:33 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I've definitely found it to be one of the easier setups to use. Hit up Matt for help, or find someone nearby. My biggest complaint was fighting with USB drivers to download data from the MyChron3 we have (and have had and used for some 18-19 years).

The Race Technologies DL1 I have in my P2 is much more complex, but so much more powerful/customizeable too... but definitely not beginner-level.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

I find AIM to be relatively easy to use in comparison to other systems but it's really tough to teach yourself. It's always best for somebody to show you the basics in person. A compromise would be to do it over the phone.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:51 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Does anyone know why there is no user manual?
Old 12-09-2017, 03:05 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

YZ I am with you and I write software for a living. I found traqmate to be far easier to use. My videos also would not play using windows 10 but will play using aim software. Some kind of driver bug. But in aim defense system is good once you kinda figure it out. I took the aim class taught by roger caddell. Really opens your eyes at what the system can do. Also Would be nice if aim could get all of the software they provide working like race studio3.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:10 PM
hughp3
Pro

Mine came with manuals But they do not show you how to use the software. You have to hunt through YouTube videos but some of them are pretty good.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:12 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

I used Traqmate several years ago and it was great. I switched to AiM because it was recommended to me. I get that for a race engineer AiM is a much better system, but for someone like me it has a ton of functions that I don't yet, yet the basic functions aren't easy to use.

The fact that they don't even provide a user manual says a lot.

And that's just the clunky software. I've mostly learned how to use it. But then there are all these technical problems.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:14 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Originally Posted by hughp3
Mine came with manuals But they do not show you how to use the software. You have to hunt through YouTube videos but some of them are pretty good.
I've watched all the videos on their YouTube channel, but from time to time I forget how to use some of the functions. It would be nice if I could just quickly look at a manual rather than having to hunt through a bunch of videos.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:17 PM
hughp3
Pro

I've watched all the videos on their YouTube channel, but from time to time I forget how to use some of the functions. It would be nice if I could just quickly look at a manual rather than having to hunt through a bunch of videos.
agree
Old 12-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
agree
You guys want to do a web meeting one day and go through things?
Old 12-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I find AIM to be relatively easy to use in comparison to other systems but it's really tough to teach yourself. It's always best for somebody to show you the basics in person. A compromise would be to do it over the phone.
This
Old 12-09-2017, 08:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,844 Likes on 1,675 Posts

I don't know where to start.

First, the system is great if you're a race engineer. However, if you're just a club racer who wants basic datalogger functions, it takes a really, really long time to learn how to use the software. I've watched every YouTube video, and I have a pretty good understanding of how to use it, but I continue to have technical problems.

A few months ago I had to drive to their only So Cal location (5 hours of driving) to have my EVO datalogger replaced. They tested the one I had and said it was defective.

After the last Windows update, I can no longer play my SmartyCam videos. I did the SmartyCam update that they recommended so I thought everything was good, but right now I'm trying to watch videos of yesterday's track day, and....nothing. Still can't play them.

I had been looking forward to studying my data at the track yesterday, but the system just didn't work. It's like it didn't recognize the track--Buttonwillow.

Trying to create segments on a track map is a huge pain in the *** because the way the software is designed it's really hard.

What's most frustrating is that it's really hard to get anyone to help. THERE IS NO USER MANUAL. You have to watch YouTube videos to learn how to use the software. Then when you have a problem you can't figure out, it's hard to get tech support. Extremely frustrating.
Agree with all.

That said, I do sell more AiM than the other four lines I sell, although I've sold a LOT of VBOX Video to former AiM users.

I think your EVO4 issue was an isolated one, but AiM does cause some of their own difficulties, like your SmartyCam videos not playing in Win 10 (just supplied an answer for this to Mark in the DAQ Forum).

I think tech support is pretty good from AiM, but it boils down to the relationship with your dealer. They should be your first point of contact, should provide the equipment pre-configured, and should be able to direct you to resources or questions answered right way. That's certainly the reason I have sold so much AiM Sports equipment.

The learning curve is steep, no question, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty good. But not for everyone...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: AiM is driving me crazy!