Sponsored by:

AiM Solo II Released

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:33 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Correct, I assume assume a PC is a Windows computer, but that's probably wrong on my part.

Apple kills a kitten every time someone buys an iOS device. They're dangerous.
Now you know why there's so many ways to skin a cat.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:52 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,006 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by BillNye
Now you know why there's so many ways to skin a cat.
LOL.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:45 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mig7410
Solo II DL is in stock. Mine is shipping today.
I just got notice that mine is on hold at FedEx awaiting a signature. Finally get to hold it today. It's only been 3 months since I ordered it
Old 06-19-2018, 03:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scooby921
I just got notice that mine is on hold at FedEx awaiting a signature. Finally get to hold it today. It's only been 3 months since I ordered it
I touched 9 of them today! They are really nice. Make sure it was all setup correctly including using the best lap of the day or session. Also, look at using the LED lights as predictive versus RPM. See what your average deviation is on lap times and then use that for the lights. It's a pretty trick feature IMHO.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:02 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think mine is arriving in raw form. I didn't ask for or pay for any sort of setup. I'm not worried though. This way I get to configure it exactly how I want it instead of how someone else thinks I want it. I just hope it's as intuitive as the data loggers and calibration tools I use at work. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into those and play around with the lights to see what I like best.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:17 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Any new estimates on the timing of the iOS software other than soon?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Any new estimates on the timing of the iOS software other than soon?
No.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:29 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Also, look at using the LED lights as predictive versus RPM. See what your average deviation is on lap times and then use that for the lights. It's a pretty trick feature IMHO.
if only it functioned like +/- showing when you gain time even if a minute behind
Old 06-20-2018, 09:02 AM
mig7410
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

My main question is there any reason to bring a Windows Laptop to the race course with you?
I really don't want to mess with a laptop at the race course. I just do track days for fun, and don't want to use up my time at the track with computer.
I would like to install the software on my windows desktop pc and go over the data in my office.
If I read about it correct I can go over lap times and basic data with just the solo at the race course location.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts

mig7410 writes, "I really don't want to mess with a laptop at the race course. I just do track days for fun, and don't want to use up my time at the track with computer."

I too am so inclined but I know in my heart that the only one way to improve, whether you go to the track for serious competition, or fun as some of us do, is to review what you just did in the last session, and dial changes into your head for the next session. This is done while all is fresh in your mind. If you wait until the following Monday, you miss optimizing your learning opportunity.

One way to get over this hump, is to hire a data logging coach for the weekend. The Coach will sit down with you post run session and look at your results, and make suggestions where improvement can be achieved the next session. All the while, you are learning the Race Studio software. I did this in the past...paid a guy $500 for a day. Worth every penny. I also went to his home post weekend, and reviewed the data of all sessions. It was fun, but after the fact.

If you know the software, and you will if you read Chris Brown's book, MAKING SENSE OIF SQUIGGLY LINES, and watch and re-ewatch the AiM You Tube Race Studio videos, and take some additional coaching, you'll WANT �� to take a PC to the track. It is also good to link up with other drivers that use a data logger, AiM preferred as you'll all be running the same software. You can also use a Mac if you portion the hard drive and install PC OS...the program is already resident on the Macs. I have used this successfully.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:35 PM
mig7410
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
mig7410 writes, "I really don't want to mess with a laptop at the race course. I just do track days for fun, and don't want to use up my time at the track with computer."

I too am so inclined but I know in my heart that the only one way to improve, whether you go to the track for serious competition, or fun as some of us do, is to review what you just did in the last session, and dial changes into your head for the next session. This is done while all is fresh in your mind. If you wait until the following Monday, you miss optimizing your learning opportunity.

One way to get over this hump, is to hire a data logging coach for the weekend. The Coach will sit down with you post run session and look at your results, and make suggestions where improvement can be achieved the next session. All the while, you are learning the Race Studio software. I did this in the past...paid a guy $500 for a day. Worth every penny. I also went to his home post weekend, and reviewed the data of all sessions. It was fun, but after the fact.

If you know the software, and you will if you read Chris Brown's book, MAKING SENSE OIF SQUIGGLY LINES, and watch and re-ewatch the AiM You Tube Race Studio videos, and take some additional coaching, you'll WANT �� to take a PC to the track. It is also good to link up with other drivers that use a data logger, AiM preferred as you'll all be running the same software. You can also use a Mac if you portion the hard drive and install PC OS...the program is already resident on the Macs. I have used this successfully.
Thanks, I'll will setup my mac book with the boot camp, and buy the book.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:37 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I use Parallels and Win 10 Home. That combo does not require a dedicated partition like boot camp.
However, I understand boot camp is a bit more reliable and a faster performing approach.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

I've used Apple hardware and Windows under Boot Camp since 2006. For almost seven years, I traveled to, from and attended more than 200 days a year at the track. It's a great combination and works better than most PC's.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-21-2018, 12:33 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Any of you Boot Camp / VMWare guys get RaceStudio 3 to connect to the Solo 2? I have been having trouble getting it to work. I found the setting in Wifi for MacOS virtualization mode but even still doesn't seem to find the device.

Also every time I go to "Reset Wifi CFG" on the Solo 2 it restarts the whole device, is that right?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Resetting the wifi does restart the device.

Quick Reply: AiM Solo II Released