Sponsored by:

learning to trail brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 04:16 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I'm definitely in the camp of trailbrake every corner.
-Mike

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
If you can add throttle prior to the apex, then you over slowed the car and you released the brakes too soon.
I also TB everywhere but I am also in a front engine car. Do you TB'ers do so with left foot? I HT downshift then immediately switch (this is the only unsettling of my car) to LFB FTG and balance the two pedals in the turn. I tend to see the apex and throttle into it and drift the car out. So I'm adding throttle before the apex but I might also not be fully off the brake yet. I really stay away from any coasting (my definition no gas or brake) because my car feels very unsettled when I do that.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,692 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Agree that you need data to really know what is fastest. But Macro level, you should try braking earlier, but releasing some brake sooner as well. Trail braking isn’t about going into a turn super deep, it’s about where you release the brake. A brake pressure trace would be really helpful. Or just riding along with someone that does it well.
+1
Old 12-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
Proper trailbraking is not mashing the brakes in the corner. You are describing the common misconception of how to trail brake.
I think you misread my post.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I trail braked the snot out of of T1 at TWS. Do it just right with enough speed and the suspension was set for T2. I'm definitely in the camp of trailbrake every corner.

Ever rule has to have an exception, and I too SL brake at T19 at COTA out of convenience mostly. At the exit of T18 I just continue the turn as as the car crosses the track diagonally heading for T19 I brake in a straight line.

YMMV - yep, big time.

As for the OP, I recommend judging braking by looking where you want to come off the brakes and letting your brain come up with the solution. Trail braking is a finesse move to get more rotation in the car. Once you have enough finesse to alter the rotation without spinning the car, looking at where you want to come off the brakes should be enough to pull it off with practice.

I admit, I have a hard time explaining it as this is one of the few driving skills where I'm kind of a natural - I trailed braked my very first session on a racetrack, I'm sure there will be others to follow who can do a better job of explaining it.

-Mike
It would be interesting to see your trace data in 1. I was flat through transition and doing about 142 when I started braking. It was all I could do to get the car slowed down and stay on track. I wouldn't have any G's left to be turning as well. Also at what point would you stop trail braking - certainly not at the apex.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:36 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thundermoose - TXE36 is not going to have a similar driving style as you, so it isn’t a good comparison for the OP. You’re on the ragged edge of death. He is enjoying DEs. Two entirely different styles of driving that will be braking very differently.

Last edited by surlynkid; 12-03-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Like TM it was all I could do to just stop at T1 and once I didn't even manage that

More or less I was at full throttle once I turned in, so not sure where I am trailing to there.

Last edited by Kevin Fennell; 12-03-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

To the OP, a better term instead of trail braking is brake turning. Keep that in mind as you get more comfortable learning it

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 12-03-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:33 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
It would be interesting to see your trace data in 1. I was flat through transition and doing about 142 when I started braking. It was all I could do to get the car slowed down and stay on track. I wouldn't have any G's left to be turning as well. Also at what point would you stop trail braking - certainly not at the apex.
Our cars are different. 142 MPH is my car's theoretical flat out, 7000 RPM (redline) in 5th (highest) gear. You probably have at least 100 more HP than me. Max it was ever going to do is about 130 or so before braking. If I was doing it really well I'd trail off the brakes just before the infamous yellow box carrying enough speed to have the suspension set for T2. I was more concerned with getting moar power down sooner for T2 than lengthening the front straight.

I'm wondering how you got the car pointed correctly for T2 with SLB in T1.

Perhpas VR can chime in with how he did T1.

-Mike
Old 12-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Your total grip available, measured in G’s, is greater when braking(or accelerating) and turning than braking alone or turning alone. I don’t understand why just that it’s a physics thing.

I only got to spend one day on TWS and it’s a big ***** track for sure. But trailbraking my 2520lbs dry C2 with stock brakes into T1 worked very well for most of the day. By the end though, I thought my brakes were shot because I couldn’t slow down quick enough and felt like I was going to go off. When I went home and looked at the data, my brakes were fine. It was my nerves that were shot. I was trying to over slow and had quit looking for my apex/trackout. YMMV.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:13 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Our cars are different. 142 MPH is my car's theoretical flat out, 7000 RPM (redline) in 5th (highest) gear. You probably have at least 100 more HP than me. Max it was ever going to do is about 130 or so before braking. If I was doing it really well I'd trail off the brakes just before the infamous yellow box carrying enough speed to have the suspension set for T2. I was more concerned with getting moar power down sooner for T2 than lengthening the front straight.

I'm wondering how you got the car pointed correctly for T2 with SLB in T1.

Perhpas VR can chime in with how he did T1.

-Mike
This is a video of some of my best laps. Start at 5:50 for my best lap. Turn 2 is such a high speed turn that once you get the car slowed down after transition you can start rolling in power so not hard to be on line without trail braking.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:22 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Slakker
Your total grip available, measured in G €™s, is greater when braking(or accelerating) and turning than braking alone or turning alone. I don €™t understand why just that it €™s a physics thing.

I only got to spend one day on TWS and it €™s a big ***** track for sure. But trailbraking my 2520lbs dry C2 with stock brakes into T1 worked very well for most of the day. By the end though, I thought my brakes were shot because I couldn €™t slow down quick enough and felt like I was going to go off. When I went home and looked at the data, my brakes were fine. It was my nerves that were shot. I was trying to over slow and had quit looking for my apex/trackout. YMMV.
the square root of the sum of the squares (of long and lat G) has to be less than the maximum Gs the tires can hold. you don't get extra per se.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

On the gas across the transition. On the brakes not particularly hard just after the bumps. Some slight left turning as I did a single 5-4 downshift and then off the brakes. A brief pause to settle the car and then on throttle
Old 12-03-2017, 10:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

the square root of the sum of the squares (of long and lat G) has to be less than the maximum Gs the tires can hold. you don't get extra per se.
Yep. Which is why the Friction Circle is ROUND, not SQUARE!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-03-2017, 10:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
To the OP, a better term instead of trail braking is brake turning. Keep that in mind as you get more comfortable learning it
This was first coined by Skip Barber Racing School back when it was one of the most popular, well-run pro schools and staffed with the best of the best.

The term "trail-braking" (a concept first championed by Skip when he founded his eponymous school in 1975) became so corrupted by improper use, that to differentiate turning the car while braking (what people called "trail braking," even though the brakes were not used in those instances to help TURN the car) from "brake-turning," or using the brakes PAST the point of steering input to continue to weight the nose, quicken steering response or otherwise influence favorably the change of direction.

It started showing up in instructor curriculum guide books at SBRS a few years after the school's sale to Michael Culver, perhaps around 2001-2002. The whole idea was to be cognizant that you were in fact still applying SOME brake pressure past the steering initiation and could "feel" the weight distribution of the car centered on the outside front tire, resulting in rotation around THAT axis. That you were not just "turning" but "brake-turning," by using the brakes to HELP improve and quicken your turning. Since this is likely the performance capability MOST underutilized by track day, DE and club racing level drivers, it IS a fundamental skill that must be mastered in order to progress. Does every corner require it? No, but slower, longer ones definitely do...

Pretty cool.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:48 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yep. Which is why the Friction Circle is ROUND, not SQUARE!
It’s not something I would make up. I knew I had to have read it somewhere but it took a little while to find.

Tune to Win
Carrol Smith
Page 25
Name:  photo391.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  874.2 KB
Name:  photo499.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  784.2 KB

Last edited by Slakker; 12-04-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: learning to trail brake