Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timeline for returning to racing after spinal fusion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Timeline for returning to racing after spinal fusion?

So those of you who know me offline or via FB know that unfortunately the past 6 weeks have been pretty brutal. I have been struggling with my back for 20+ years. My first surgery was in 94, my first fusion was in 05, discectomy in 07, multiple Facet burns, injections etc. Steroids from the original fusion ended up rotting my hip, Stage 4 Avascular Necrosis, total hip replacement in 2010, then again in 2013 when it was recalled. This past year has been particularly bad from a pain perspective and just kept getting worse. In fact at the NJMP club race I probably spent as much time on my foam roller as I did in the car. Then I had a few days that even after massage, heat, stim, accupuncture stretching I couldn't even stand up straight. Then 6 1/2 weeks ago I was taking out the trash and felt it go. And I mean go... I managed to lean up against the Macan to get back into the garage and as soon as I took a step without leaning on anything the right leg gave out and I went down like a ton of bricks in the fetal position... Straight to the ER where an MRI diagnosed that not only had the disc shattered the entire spinal column shifted and was sitting on L3. I am already fused at L5-S1 so the decision was made on the spot to go up and Fuse L3 and 4 and continue the 5 S1 fusion up. The surgery itself seems to have been a tremendous success. They were doing nerve monitoring during the fusion and said in the position the spine has herniated the nerve was literally dead. Push the vertebrae into place and it would come back to life, release the vertebrae and it would shut down. Pretty f-ing amazing where they are today compared to my first fusion in 05. 90% of my leg pain is gone, I am upright, I am limp free 90% of the time other than some flare ups, I am off all the medication, my gait is already back to normal and I have been out of the brace for 3 weeks already. Pretty amazing considering I almost died twice during my recovery! In rehab the put a banana cream pie on my tray. Me thinking it was coconut and assuming because everyone knew my allergies (they were written on every menu) didn't realize until after I swallowed it was banana cream... That led to total anaphylactic shock, oxygen and an Epi pen setting me back a few days then once I got home being the total ******* I am I decided to stop all the meds cold turkey to get back to work and return to normal as quickly as possible. That of course led to total withdrawal and I was given some crap call subuflex to "stop" the withdrawals. Well the meds to ween me off the meds essentially shut my system down, I got dehydrated and went into respiratory arrest. If not for a freak call from my surgeon's nurse who heard me gasping for air on the phone and called 911 (no not a Porsche, the ambulance 911) not sure what would have happened...

Despite that hear I am almost 7 weeks out now. No meds, no back brace, no cane, no limp, perfect gait, been driving for weeks, already back on the simulator and I see the surgeon next week to clear me for PT. I'm just wondering if anyone else hear has been through a fusion and if so, how long was it before you were racing again? I know everyone is different but I was "hoping" (Long shot) for Sebring and more realistically Road Atlanta. Sebring will be 4 months post op and 7 weeks after I start PT. Road Atlanta obviously gives me a bit of extra time. I don't plan on being on the typical 8-10 month recovery schedule by any means. Once the fusion is set and they clear me I will push like hell (within reason and without overdoing it) to return to "normal" as quickly as possible. I am fortunate I have enough PT sessions to basically go 5 days a week.

Thoughts? Anyone else return to racing after Fusion? What was the timeline?
Thanks in advance!
-Paul
Old 12-01-2017, 12:01 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Not an injury this bad but i have herniated a disk and so I do core and back muscle work out every day for last 2 years

Also make sure seat really matches whatever new curve is in your back

Take your time coming back - better to come back and be strong versus re injure and then never come back again
Old 12-01-2017, 12:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

What does the doctor say? Totally different, but when I had ACL replacement 8 years ago, I went to one of the best doctors in the country. He said safest was to not drive for a year, so that's what I did. It wasn't a question if I could drive the car, but what would happen if I crashed and damaged the repair. I'm guessing you are probably in a similar situation.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:39 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Sh!!!t, we can't figure out what kind of oil to use on track, and you want our advice on when you can to return to the track without paralyzing yourself?!
Old 12-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

OP, I commend your tenacity and understand why returning to racing asap is really important to you. I had spinal surgery last year as well - nothing like what you have been though ("just" a herniated disc), but I do remember how bad the pain was during the toughest part of my pre-surgery condition, and how frustrating it was to not be able to do things in life that I really like doing (including driving my car on the race track). I don't have any useful advice for you regarding the recovery period that you should observe before racing again, but I would say resist the urge to go back to it before you and your doctors think you are ready. I assume that you are in this battle (with your back) for the long run, and there will always be another race to run, even if you miss a few while taking your time recovering. I would also say that PT has helped me a lot and I would not underestimate the importance of sticking with a PT program, which it sounds like you are already planning to do. I suppose I am not adding much here, but hang in there.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:37 PM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paul, I would imagine your surgeon would not release you for racing until you are fused. While you had surgery from L3 to S1, I would suspect the fusion has not taken place yet. Risking a non-union by getting too active, too quickly, will certainly set you back...way back. Listen to your surgeon, do your PT, and return only when there is a solid fusion.

-Spine saver in OH
Old 12-02-2017, 08:28 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Listen to your surgeon, not an internet automotive forum

Risking a non-union means risking another operation.

(from an MD)
Old 12-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Paul, you have been doing so well and have a great attitude.
As others have said, your surgeon is really the only one who knows the medical details of your fusions and what is safe for you to do.
While I agree that having a goal in mind (I know you were thinking about Sebring) is always great, you must be prepared to alter that goal if necessary.
The last thing you want to do is to 'go back' early and compromise your spine. This could be very bad.

That being said, can't you focus on a track other than Sebring since driving there can loosen dental fillings?

Keep it up Paul. This is not the race track: slow and steady wins this race,
Old 12-02-2017, 10:35 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Certainly hope you’re back soon, but why not discuss your racing return date with your surgeon? Also PCA might have something to say about this when you apply for your 2018 license.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:50 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Once back I suggest you get your a seat insert poured, it will help equalize the pressure on different parts of your back
Old 12-03-2017, 07:43 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Hi Paul, kudos to you for hanging in there through the years of misery. Like AudiPwr1, I had a herniated disc two years ago, S1L5. Fortunately the neurosurgeon told me no surgery, go recover without it. Which has worked but taken time (and the good meds...).

I'd definitely follow others' advice to ignore people like us who can barely navigate the Internet; listen to your doctor and PT. It helped me a lot that my go-to PT guy is a triathlete, and I relied heavily on him for advice of how soon and how hard to push my running, swimming, and core work. I continue to do a work-out with the PT service's equipment as a maintenance program, twice a week, which has been fantastic. Swimming has been a blessing too. Even so, after a four back-to-back days at Palmer late this, my back was definitely not happy.

I like what bkovac said about getting a seat poured. For me, the good lumbar support in my seats has made a difference I can feel switching among cars.

I'd also think carefully about your ability to exit the car in an incident. Chances are that if the need ever arises, you'll already have had a decent bump of some sort, insult to the back and body.

Good luck with your recovery!
Old 12-03-2017, 09:05 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

So your back was killing you at NJMP, and you won at least one race, and workers choice?

I was thinking about going back to Prepared I class so my medical advice is to take all of 2018 off!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FB IM
Old 12-04-2017, 10:01 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

L4/L5 fusion / subsequent FBS is why I sold my manual and ordered a PDK (plus it's faster) and sofa seats. Couple years after fusion had a Medtronics SCS installed. No racing for me, not even go karts, too painful. Good luck with your recovery, don't rush it, don't want a setback to cause you to loose mobility.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:21 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
So your back was killing you at NJMP, and you won at least one race, and workers choice?

I was thinking about going back to Prepared I class so my medical advice is to take all of 2018 off!
Haha, I couldn't even walk upright... I was actually straight from the car to the back of the toter and onto a foam roller the entire weekend... But once the adrenaline was pumping, I was in the car and focused I was able to push the pain to the background, been doing it for 20 years now. All joking aside, if my surgeon says I need to sit 2018 out that's what I'll do but I would love to go wheel to wheel with you all season Fortunately my surgeon seems to think I am some sort of weird healing freak so I don't think that will be the case but it's really all about how quickly the bone grows and sets and the fusion is complete. I'm "hoping" that the instability in the spine and associated pain will be gone which will leave me in a better position than I have been in for years!!!

As so many have said and there has been great advice hear let me elaborate a bit.
I wasn't seeking surgical advice and I'm well aware this is between my surgeon and I, everyone heals at their own pace and an X-Ray showing a completed fusion is imperative before I do anything. I was just looking for some feedback from others who may have been through something similar or even the same thing and made a similar return. It's always nice to hear from people who have been there.

@Coochas... Already way ahead of you. The backup is Road Atlanta and while I'm not giving up on Sebring I'm also not going to do anything silly or rush back and end up setting myself back or worse... Unless I have 100% support from my surgeon and therapists I'll be there for DMTD and 48 hours as a spectator and volunteer.

@ Kevin, spot on and great advice!! I also really like the advice from BKovac. Does anyone have any thoughts on Kirby seats or advice where to have one poured one the spine is aligned and set here on the East Coast??

@JD, @Drive, I completely agree. I'm absolutely not doing anything stupid, been to hell and back (no pun intended) so not going to risk anything. I was just curious if anyone else had been there, done that and what there experience was.

@Shandigo, Hope you are feeling better!! Yes, the past 8 months have absolutely been the worst part. 7 weeks post op and I would say other than the post op restrictions I feel 90% better in terms of lower back pain and more importantly the debilitating nerve pain into my right quad that after nerve monitoring during the surgery we figured out was being compressed by the actual vertebrae shifting every time I took a step. It's actually interesting the MRI showed it was bad but nothing like what they say they saw when they were able to see the spine doing once they had me on the table but I always said an MRI isn't a good representation, you put me flat on my back with a pillow under my legs and tell me not to move, probably the most comfortable position you can put me in. Do an MRI of me actually taking a few steps and see what transpires as I move and now we have a useful image!!

@Matt Romanowski Don't know if the Dr. is just appeasing me right now but hasn't ruled anything out. It is wait and see how the fusion sets. However, once he is confident it is set and if I can meet all the marks in PT (for example, 1600 PSI brake pressure is ~ 260 pounds pressure on the leg, so unless I can straight leg 260 pounds repeatedly without aggravation there is no point even trying) then they know my goals and want to work with me... No one is going to rush anything though, neither him nor I...

Thanks @AudiPwr1 I have been doing core, yoga, deep tissue, myofascial release (my personal favorite), accupuncture, you name it just to keep my pain levels below 6 for the past 8 months! I know someone else suggested swimming, absolutely going to get back into the water but also going to work very aggressively on the core, maintaining weight because I feel even 5 pounds from my gut in my lower back and just overall strength as they let me...

All in all, great advice from everyone and super appreciative to everyone who took the time! It's great to hear from others who have experienced similar experiences or the MD's who are spot on with their advice!!
Thank you!!
-P

Quick Reply: Timeline for returning to racing after spinal fusion?