Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I put an IROC Tail on my SC Stock G Club Racer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Reesestewww
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can I put an IROC Tail on my SC Stock G Club Racer?

The rule states.

“ Spoilers and bumpers/air dams are free providing they do not exceed maximum factory body width by any amount, maximum factory body length by more than 1 inch”……ect

Does an IROC Tail on an SC fall within theses rules??

Thanks R
Old 12-11-2003, 02:15 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

You might want to email Lance Weeks and get a "technical" opinion on that question. His email is easy to get, go to www.pca.org

It would be my opinion that you could not use an IROC wing because it was not a factory option at the time your car was sold. But since wings and spoilers are free, you might be able to do it.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:15 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

Given the fact that manny SC and Carrera drivers put Turbo tails on their cars, I don't see why this would be illegal.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:10 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't know for sure but I will bet you can't. I have a stock D 993 and they won't let me run a 993 3.8 wing.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:26 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

John:
That's strange. I've seen F Stock Carrera's running with 3.8 tails (though they did have the wing element tilted almost straight down.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Glenn from Denver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of a G-class SC racer with an IROC tail...no problem with passing tech or impound.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:33 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Stock Classes can run the 3.8 tail with the upper element removed. You can use the upper element if you are running prepared(up one class).
As far as the IROC tail goes you should be OK with it,but check the dimensions of the tail before you buy as some of these are pretty big.
Good Luck
Old 12-11-2003, 08:25 PM
stevehay94
7th Gear

Yes, you can run the IROC spoiler. In stock class you can run a spoiler, in prepared you can run a wing (provided that they fit within guidelines). They do NOT have to be a stock option. A wing has a leading edge - like the upper element on a 3.8 wing - a spoiler does not. An IROC spoiler is a spoiler because it does not have a leading edge.

steve
'87 911 E Prepared
Old 12-11-2003, 09:43 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by stevehay94
They do NOT have to be a stock option.
steve
'87 911 E Prepared
I have spoken to the PCA's technical rule people many times about the use of items that weren't options at the time of the sale of the cars. Although the tech people don't always know what was an option on the car when it was issued, and many of the volunteers at the racers are also not versed in this subject, it was the intent of PCA Club racing to have the stock class only have items that were options at the time of the sale. Just because other people are doing it doesn't make it legal.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:55 PM
stevehay94
7th Gear

Jim,

There are MANY things that can be replaced with non-stock items within the stock classes. Basically, it's anything listed as "free" such as spoilers. I have a mail from Tom Charlesworth about the wing vs. spoiler issue, I just can't find it. When I do I will post it. The verbiage for wings spoilers in the rules is:

"Spoilers and bumpers/air dams are free providing they do not exceed maximum factory body width by any amount, maximum factory body length by more than 1 inch"
Old 12-11-2003, 09:55 PM
stevehay94
7th Gear

Jim,

There are MANY things that can be replaced with non-stock items within the stock classes. Basically, it's anything listed as "free" such as spoilers. I have a mail from Tom Charlesworth about the wing vs. spoiler issue, I just can't find it. When I do I will post it. The verbiage for wings spoilers in the rules is:

"Spoilers and bumpers/air dams are free providing they do not exceed maximum factory body width by any amount, maximum factory body length by more than 1 inch"
Old 12-11-2003, 10:03 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

That's fine, all I asked Reesesteww to do is ask Lance. I know I have had problems in the past with the rules and rule interpertation. It is always best to get everything in writing. Although I was told at a race a couple of years ago, by Charles, about options and stock cars.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No real interpretation needed.

There is a difference between a "wing" and a "spoiler".

The rule is worded, "spoilers are free"...not "wings are free".

That's why you see SCs w/Turbo tails and not Carrera ones, even duck tails. I have a "faux" RSA spoiler on the rear of my C2, no issues, even though it is solid fiberglass, without the factory rubber lip.

There was an RSA running "D" class at the MAM race in June, with 3.8RS wing element removed...although I am in "D-prepared" and can run a 3.8RS wing - intact.

I didn't look into the rules too well in regards to going prepared class and have learned since how many other things I can do and still stay in "D prepared". Re-reading the rules a few times found my answers.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Jeff:
I was looking in my rule book and couldn't find any reference to wing elements being installed on spatulas.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:27 AM
Reesestewww
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for those of you not watching the pelican BBS. can you chime in w/ your opinions please. Same thread, different direction.

Thanks

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=139232

Quick Reply: Can I put an IROC Tail on my SC Stock G Club Racer?