Sponsored by:

How safe is Radical SR3 or new SR1 for DE

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
???? I thought the whole point is to have spec class and no arms race? So what are people putting in the NP-01's and how do you equalize the class? Are those 3 outliers doing something else like trackdays and not class racing?
Nothing different than other spec classes- They don't run in spec if they are not spec. . They run in SU or ST1.

** Some of us still beat some non spec NP01's with our Spec NP01's if that tells you something ***
Old 11-04-2017, 12:03 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

drove the sr1 today at AMP. it was awesome. in fact 6 people drove it, all smiling when they got out. i have fitment issues as i am rather barrel chested (hefty could be another adjective). had to left foot brake due to small footbox but pedals are perfect for that. received current US parts list and yes way way cheaper than any porsche model to fix. if i can get a better fitment then absolutely going to order one whether a SR1 series comes about or not. if not then will look to scca for a class. this thing was just too much fun. have to reset my head for braking and corner entry speed. The really big plus is no more worrying about something happening to an expensive (to me and i think to most) track car. I think this will be very liberating to my skill bubble.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:51 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! Driving a light weight high downforce car with slicks is amazing. Regarding fitting in the car they should be able to make some adjustments to help you fit better. I am 6’ tall and am a pretty big guy with wide shoulders. The seat in my car is slightly angled to give me a little extra room. I am surprised to hear that you have to left foot brake. I wear size 11.5 feet and I have no problem right foot braking. I would still recommend trying an SR3, it is a bigger car and may give you a little more room.

Enjoy the journey.
Charley
Old 11-04-2017, 08:19 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

You should be left-foot braking anyway, it's faster... besides, whaddya need the clutch for, anyway - bike motor/sequential box anyway, right?
Old 11-04-2017, 12:23 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

I love the idea of a radical but dont want to race one against tin tops. I dont think they are competitive in scca (and scca is kind of non existent near me). Looks like there is some sort of radical race series that has at least some events in california/texas (I'm in AZ).

Does anyone have more info on the radical series?? Couldn't find a lot of details searching online.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:46 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos
I love the idea of a radical (I'm in AZ).
I only raced an SCCA majors race at Indie motorsports park. Friends said you will break a windshield there because of the rocks and they were right! Even with just normal track debris my tin-top nose is scared and windshield gets replaced every other season or 3. What is it like to get hit in the head with 200mph stuff in an open wheel car?
Old 11-04-2017, 01:07 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I only raced an SCCA majors race at Indie motorsports park. Friends said you will break a windshield there because of the rocks and they were right! Even with just normal track debris my tin-top nose is scared and windshield gets replaced every other season or 3. What is it like to get hit in the head with 200mph stuff in an open wheel car?
It isn’t bad. You just need to make a few things to adapt. Putting clear bra on the front of your helmet does a great job protecting your helmet and tear offs work well to protect your face shields.

You can hear the larger pieces bouncing of your helmet, but you don’t feel them. I wouldn’t recommend driving one without a helmet
Old 11-04-2017, 01:28 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by claykos
I love the idea of a radical but dont want to race one against tin tops. I dont think they are competitive in scca (and scca is kind of non existent near me). Looks like there is some sort of radical race series that has at least some events in california/texas (I'm in AZ).

Does anyone have more info on the radical series?? Couldn't find a lot of details searching online.
Here is the information about the Radical Masters cup. Also Spring Mountain has their own series and an invetational (which is open to any Radical owners that they are aware of)

https://www.radicalsportscars.com/go...erican-masters
Old 11-04-2017, 02:20 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH
Here is the information about the Radical Masters cup. Also Spring Mountain has their own series and an invetational (which is open to any Radical owners that they are aware of)

Thanks. I had seen that page...but it didnt seem to have any info on entry fees, eligibility, etc. When i spoke to spring mtn they said their series was only open to spring mtn members.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:45 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
You should be left-foot braking anyway, it's faster... besides, whaddya need the clutch for, anyway - bike motor/sequential box anyway, right?
Totally agree. I drive my dog box left foot brake 100%. It’s great.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:04 AM
GraemeD
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH

Here s the link for the invitational,
https://spark.adobe.com/page/Onijl5Iyceq2Q/
Old 11-08-2017, 10:07 PM
hughp3
Pro

Update to this thread. I went up to AMP today with Tom Drewer North American Manager for Radical (great guy btw) for further SR1 fitting and ended up sitting in another members SR3. Standard SR3 seating (no cushions) was almost perfect. After lengthy discussions I pulled the trigger for a new 1340 cc SR3. Decided on center seat option for additional safety. Really excited about this 90 degree turn to my driving life. Car should be 5 to 7 weeks out. Thanks again too all who gave such great advice!
The following users liked this post:
cafe_racer (06-04-2023)
Old 11-08-2017, 10:48 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hughp3
Update to this thread. I went up to AMP today with Tom Drewer North American Manager for Radical (great guy btw) for further SR1 fitting and ended up sitting in another members SR3. Standard SR3 seating (no cushions) was almost perfect. After lengthy discussions I pulled the trigger for a new 1340 cc SR3. Decided on center seat option for additional safety. Really excited about this 90 degree turn to my driving life. Car should be 5 to 7 weeks out. Thanks again too all who gave such great advice!
Congratulations!! I suspected if you tried the SR3 that you would want one. I like the center seating option. That is an option that I would like on my car. Just wait until you get it out on track! What made you decide to go with the 1340 over the 1500?

Enjoy!

Charley
Old 11-08-2017, 11:15 PM
hughp3
Pro

Charley I went with the Toms recommendation. Less money, more hours and stilly bloody fast. On next rebuild he said easy to upgrade if I wanted.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:44 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

That's awesome! Congrats, and definitely post a journal of your experiences with the car as you've piqued my interest.

Jeff

Quick Reply: How safe is Radical SR3 or new SR1 for DE